• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a movie or TV deal REALLY increase comic demand?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, APDallas said:

or is it a knee jerk, emotional, and speculative reaction?

How many comics ... have really held their value?

Anything that creates even speculative demand is good for back issue sales on previously dead or slow sellers (Atlas/Seaboard comics 1970s). Seems like the newly found semi-key comics spike up 2 to 5 X guide, hit a plateau then go down 20% due to a new spec being 'discovered.' e.g. Marvel Preview mag of 1st Star-lord, then 1st Rocky Raccoon in the Marvel Preview 'Satanna' mag and in Hulk comic.

Based on the title of your thread and your initial post, you seem to be asking two questions here:

Question 1: Does a movie or TV show increase demand for a comic? Answer in my experience:  Yes, in most cases.

Question 2: Do these comics hold their value after the movie or TV show? Answer in my experience: Depends on many factors but in general most will lose some value but probably settle in at a level higher than previous to said movie or TV show. 

Every bit of news about a comic becoming a TV/Movie increases demand for a certain period of time. The closer the property gets to becoming a show or movie, the longer demand is sustained. If the show/movie is bad...demand drops. If show/movie is good...demand remains.

There was a time any TV/Movie news sustained demand because of the TWD effect. Then, the Sixth Gun happened. 

For example i remember when FANTASTIC FOUR #45 was super hot but as since cooled quite some bit. I am thinking of getting a high grade copy while demand is low since i believe that MARVEL may revive the idea of the INHUMANS later on down the line. I guess it can also depend of how the general public reacts. Like is WALKING DEAD still hot or has it cooled somewhat?

4 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Buying low is never a bad idea if you feel strongly in something.

To answer your question, there is a bay of data available electronically.

True enough. I mean who drives these prices and who pays them? It seems when some new thing is announced it drives prices to astronomical levels.

1 minute ago, APDallas said:
4 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Buying low is never a bad idea if you feel strongly in something.

To answer your question, there is a bay of data available electronically.

True enough. I mean who drives these prices and who pays them? It seems when some new thing is announced it drives prices to astronomical levels.

I often wondered this, but it seems to be people who hope someone else will pay more than they did.

I've always wondered about the real effect a movie or TV show effects prices (i mean prices instead of value since pretty much they seem to change daily).

If ETERNALS is a movie or does not catch on will issue 1 hold its "value"? It seems that comics collecting is a gamble these days. The big question as a collector is "do i sell now? or hold? when do I buy?"

right now I am collecting 1st appearances of even the most minor character but even that can be a task since "1st appearances" can change as well.

There are some things that defy explanation such as WEREWOLF BY NIGHT 32. There has been no announcement of a movie or tv series and yet this book is going for crazy prices! Why? Is he that popular?

Are speculators ruining the market and skewing the real values?

17 hours ago, APDallas said:

I've always wondered about the real effect a movie or TV show effects prices (i mean prices instead of value since pretty much they seem to change daily).

If ETERNALS is a movie or does not catch on will issue 1 hold its "value"? It seems that comics collecting is a gamble these days. The big question as a collector is "do i sell now? or hold? when do I buy?"

right now I am collecting 1st appearances of even the most minor character but even that can be a task since "1st appearances" can change as well.

There are some things that defy explanation such as WEREWOLF BY NIGHT 32. There has been no announcement of a movie or tv series and yet this book is going for crazy prices! Why? Is he that popular?

Are speculators ruining the market and skewing the real values?

No.  Speculators are ruining the market from a collector stand point for people who insist on buying key books right when they get hot.  Books like FF 45 and Avengers 55 are still great 1st appearances but I don't see a lot of "collectors" swooping in to grab copies while they are cheap.  The entire market (collectors included) is in a herd mentality where books are hot and in demand and then ice cold when they are out of fashion (Preacher anyone?).

On 5/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, APDallas said:

or is it a knee jerk, emotional, and speculative reaction?

How many comics that have been announced as TV series or movies have really held their value?

Marvel super heroes keys before the films usually stay above the prices before they announce. Jump up but than level off but still higher before the spike.

I would say villians are usually a bad bet as well as non -Marvel/DC heroes long-term.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur