• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is ACTION #251 not considered the 1st appearance of SUPERGIRL?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

Ok. I am confused. Why are some people accepting some characters in ads and promotional material as 1st appearances and yet ACTION #251 which features ALL NEW ART with dialogue with SUPERGIRL not considered a 1st appearance?

13 minutes ago, APDallas said:

Ok. I am confused. Why are some people accepting some characters in ads and promotional material as 1st appearances and yet ACTION #251 which features ALL NEW ART with dialogue with SUPERGIRL not considered a 1st appearance?

I don't think GA or SA collectors accept ads and promo material as first appearances.  Heck, even for BA collectors, IH 180 get short shrift and its an actual story appearance.

But, I will say this:  Action 251 is the best contender for a next issue ad as a first appearance.

17 minutes ago, APDallas said:

You just need to get everyone to recognize More Fun #31 as the first appearance of Superman.  Then you can move on to Action #251 as the first appearance of Supergirl. :foryou:

24 minutes ago, APDallas said:

Because intelligent people realize that ads are not first appearances and the :censored: hucksters don't have any copies of Action 251 to pump and dump.

FWIW, there is an advertisement for a children's Supergirl costume in Detective 225 (1955) (1st app of Martian Manhunter).  Costume looks substantially the same as the one in Action 252 (1959).

It IS a cool ad; I wouldn't be surprised if it was an alternate cover illustration for 252. But it's not a first appearance because the character is not introduced into continuity, into the story universe that is, in this case, DC. 

It's a neat thing, maybe even worth a little more than surrounding "run" books for this reason (I bought one because of it) but it's not her first appearance in that it is not her debut into the serial illustrated fiction that is a comic book "universe." That's the standard. 

I have a My Greatest Adventure #79 in my collection because it mentions on the letters page that the next issue introduces "The Legion of the Strange," and if I one day sell it I will point out this fact because it is the reason it might be of interest to Doom Patrol collectors, but I do not expect anyone to pay for it more than a slight fraction of what #80 goes for.

Yes, I'm aware of Malibu Sun #13, I have a couple somewhere; I'm happy to be able to sell them for much more than the cost of a Spawn #1, but a large group of Spawn completists driving a relatively scarce (compared to Spawn 1) preview does not change the rule for the hobby. It's a cool anomaly in the market, but it's not driving DD 115 past IH 181 anytime soon.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
8 hours ago, APDallas said:

Because intelligent people realize that ads are not first appearances and the :censored: hucksters don't have any copies of Action 251 to pump and dump.

2 hours ago, APDallas said:

Ok. so its an ad. it's still a first appearance.

I stand corrected. How many copies have you hoarded? Or how dumb will you admit to being?

Ads are never first appearances. So comics like MF 31 (just a copy of AC1 cover) couldn't be the 1st superman. But with Supergirl actually interacting with Superman, and having dialogue, not just with the reader, but characters in the DC Universe, it seems closer to a cameo than say a preview. I could see some people considering this more of a cameo, akin to Hulk 180, or ASM 360.

Edited by HuddyBee

18 minutes ago, APDallas said:

I admit that it is an ad but i see all the time collector's pulling out obscure appearances and claiming them as first appearances (example MARVEL AGE citing BETA RAY BILL, et al). How is this any different?

No difference. Sellers are just trying to make more money by any means necessary.  Are they neat ads? Yes. Are they first appearances? Nope. Why would anyone claim they are? Money.