• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What GOLDEN AGE title would you like to come back?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

There seems to be a slew of titles using public domain super-heroes. What titles would you like to see come back?

I would love to see new EC titles like TALES FROM THE CRYPT and WEIRD SCIENCE etc.

I would like some of the big anthology books back where you get not just one character but 5-8 different stories.  More Fun and Adventure Comics, and Marvel Mystery all were successful with that format.  I guess the 100 pagers that they sell at Wal-Mart now might be similar but I have yet to see any of those to really find out.

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

Planet comics.

Let the sci-fi genre run w-i-l-d again...

Antarctic Press is reviving this title as well as JUNGLE COMICS and WEIRD TERROR. They already do EXCITING COMICS.antarctic-press-exciting-comics-issue-1.jpg.7ce6330240a0f16ab34a7d1aade60331.jpg

14 hours ago, APDallas said:

Antarctic Press is reviving this title as well as JUNGLE COMICS and WEIRD TERROR. They already do EXCITING COMICS.antarctic-press-exciting-comics-issue-1.jpg.7ce6330240a0f16ab34a7d1aade60331.jpg

Part of the problem with any new comic produced as homage to GA books is that current art often suffers ...sometimes jarringly... from a post-modern sameness that's devoid of the stylistic flourishes produced by illustrators of another era.  It's not just the use of airbrush ...as Alex Schomburg explored airbrush techniques as "Xela" for Nedor/Standard comics shortly after WWII... but rather, relying on photoshop tools that include gradation plotting to create art rather than actually drawing, painting and/or color layout

In spite of the rich array of tools available to today's artists, photoshopped work still conveys more of a mechanical look than individual style.  Even when those tools are mastered and used to good effect ...when the artist's style manages to come through... illustrations often have a slick artificiality to them.  This is why the reissues of the oversized "full color" EC archives ...with color "enhanced" via photoshopped shading... often look so abysmal.  The shaded color work varies with different artists, but rarely looks right and loses much of the impact of the original. Reenvisioning the color ..."for a (so-called) modern audience"... eschews the charm and character of the original work.

Let me be crystal clear, this isn't a "get off my lawn kids" moment for me.  As an artist I use a lot of those same photoshop tools and they get better all the time.  But when it comes to comics, part of what makes the GA cool is the wide range of artistic talent reflected in pure hand drawn illustration art.  This seems to be reflected in the increasing dollar value and collectibility of original B&W art.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but there you have it, ...my entire two cents on this topic, properly adjusted for inflation. :preach:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
epochal apostrophes, etc.

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Part of the problem with any new comic produced as homage to GA books is that current art often suffers ...sometimes jarringly... from a post-modern sameness that's devoid of the stylistic flourishes produced by illustrators of another era.  It's not just the use of airbrush ...as Alex Schomburg explored airbrush techniques as "Xela" for Nedor/Standard comics shortly after WWII... but rather, relying on photoshop tools that include gradation plotting to create art rather than actually drawing, painting and/or color layout

In spite of the rich array of tools available to today artists, photoshopped work still conveys more of a mechanical look than individual style.  Even when those tools are mastered and used to good effect ...when the artist's style manages to come through... illustrations often have a slick artificiality to them.  This is why the reissues of the oversized "full color" EC archives ...with color "enhanced" via photoshopped shading... often look so abysmal.  The shaded color work varies with different artists, but rarely looks right and loses much of the impact of the original. Reenvisioning the color ..."for a (so-called) modern audience"... eschews the charm and character of the original work.

Let me be crystal clear, this isn't a "get off my lawn kids" moment for me.  As an artist I use a lot of those same photoshop tools and they get better all the time.  But when it comes to comics, part of what makes the GA cool is the wide range of artistic talent reflected in pure hand drawn illustration art.  This seems to be reflected in the increasing dollar value and collectibility of original B&W art.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but there you have, ...my entire two cents on this topic, properly adjusted for inflation. :preach:

11 hours ago, APDallas said:

I think it would be interesting to see Vanesa R Del Rey do some Planet stories today...

2B4B67DD-7599-4D6C-B4BE-0C3E8B193C84.jpeg.86713eb9f4bd79a5a0364af180001d7e.jpeg

5DDD0565-BE5E-42FB-B5E9-F72FA75B5801.thumb.jpeg.08c210554f6a1176d46209457a5a8a33.jpeg

BCA78389-35B5-4E5C-B696-D87F37384AA0.jpeg.26e8183038b72ca0fbdf9b1380f3ffd7.jpeg

17BC66DA-EE2B-4D5D-A08F-46EFD8E5ACFA.thumb.jpeg.c2bcbe8b588d50f1d1955eeb4fc2228c.jpeg

Recently found a jungle comics 1 at a local shop.  Had no idea they did this so I grabbed it.  

While I like the idea, the story was just awful.  Bland is the best way to put it.  The second story just confused me.  I didnt expect anime and furries in a jungle book :whee:

On 5/22/2019 at 10:56 AM, SOTIcollector said:

One important lesson I learned by reading EC's is:  be careful what you wish for.

I wished for Tales from the Crypt.  Then a new series came out a while back, probably the Papercutz one, and it was beyond awful.  Stories and art and grammar were all just atrocious.  It felt like it was written, drawn and edited by a six year old.  I thought maybe they were going for irony with the whole "be careful what you wish for" theme that runs through so many EC books, but I never bought another issue after that.

Against my better judgment, though, I am going to wish for the return of another Golden Age series.  I'd love to see any one of these come back, if done well.

CrimesByWomen.jpg.47798d27eeaa2e477e351ca4cee54ed2.jpg

TrueCrime.jpg.0866aba6642e8d00717ee27df1e4d384.jpg

CDNP.jpg.4eed25fb0c47a8940e5dafb96d7f8e97.jpg

YES!

3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Funny you should ask...

As some of you know, for the past several years I've been planning to do a revival of Boy Comics. The title and the character of Crimebuster are in the public domain, so it's just a matter of having the drive to do it. 

Well, I've done it!

On June 11, I'll be launching a Kickstarter to publish the first issue of my revived Crimebuster series. It basically picks up where the original series left off. In Boy Comics #119, Chuck Chandler was at the start of the second semester of his sophomore year at Curtiss Tech. In the first issue of my series, he'll be starting his junior year in the fall of 1956. I've kept the setting, the time period, all the supporting characters, etc. It's a complete, standalone 30-page story, but there are nods to prior continuity; you do't need to have read any of the original stuff for this issue to make sense, but I do have some old school editor's notes to point you in the direction of old stories if you become curious. 

For today's new readers, I'm launching and publishing under the series title The Crimebusters with a new #1. But this and every future issue will also have a Boy Comics variant cover continuing the original numbering — making new issues of Boy Comics was the whole point, after all! I expect only a few of us hardcore weirdos will care about it, but I'll be honest — when I was doing the cover for the Boy Comics version, I kind of got misty eyed. Just seeing that logo come back to life is something I've been dreaming about for ten years.

Here's a look at my cover for Boy Comics #120! Obviously, it's an homage to Captain America Comics #3:

419248883_BoyComicsVariant.jpg.997c68e110234f08a7bf4357c4e7fc52.jpg

In keeping with the late-era feel of the book, I've embraced the teen detective / boys adventure spirit. It's more like Scooby Doo than Crime Does Not Pay, with the twist that unlike Scooby Doo, maybe the ghosts and monsters are sometimes real. There's still some of that Biro grittiness, though; this first issue is a murder mystery, not a devious real estate agent. The stakes and the boy count are a bit higher here than your typical Scooby Doo episode.

I've also introduced a new human partner for Chuck, Trixie Trouble, who is an homage to teen detective characters like Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars. Don't worry, though, I have plans for Squeeks, he hasn't been forgotten.

And I also am trying to keep the classic Golden Age Biro feel, with stuff like the symbolic splash and a Biro-esque opening speech to set the stage. 

1711818267_page1-fullbleed.jpg.840189d5efbfb9ed132b781e8323b2a0.jpg

Anyway. When June 11 comes and I launch my Kickstarter, I'll post about it again, but I don't want to spam the boards. If you're interested, you can read more about it on my website. And hey, if there's a Golden Age book you want to see live again, maybe you too can bring it back yourself!

This is awesome and something I will definitely support monetarily!!! Shoot me a PM brother!!