• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pencils or Inks...A POLL!

Pencils or Inks?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only PICK ONE, which would it be?

• all pencil, no ink
    • all ink, no pencil
    • I'd get both in spite of your stupid false-choice poll!

49 posts in this topic

This subject has been batted around informally before a number of times. My recollection is the vocal among us have preferred what the hobby ends up seeing in print over the original uninked pencil stage. I'm in the other camp, and wonder if maybe a formal poll would show us all something different.

Assuming same money, If you could only get one for your collection (not a flip, must hold for at least ten years) which would it be?

--all pencil, no inks:

image.thumb.png.15e1009c6f11a1ab191f255808063693.png

--or all ink, no original pencil:

image.thumb.png.dd9178c314e2b32448b3bb51a0142ecc.png

Edited by vodou

A big part of it for me is who worked on the physical object i'm holding.

If it's pencils and inks by the same artist, give me the inks (usually this is only if they do digital pencils and then physical inks, like Jorge Molina or Mark Brooks)

if it's inks by a different artist, most of the time, I'd rather have the penciled page vs the inks.  In this hobby the penciler is more prominent figure in the creation process, and I want their step in that process vs the Inker.

I've had pencils and spent years finding the matching inks, but never gone after the inks 1st then look for the pencils.

6 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

If it's pencils and inks by the same artist, give me the inks

That's why I used this specific example: same single artist. So "if only one" you'd want the ink, not the pencil?

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

That's why I used this specific example: same single artist. So "if only one" you'd want the ink, not the pencil?

that was not clearly stated in your post at all.  I had no clue that page above was the same penciler and inker.

18 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

that was not clearly stated in your post at all.  I had no clue that page above was the same penciler and inker.

Ummm...even if you're not familiar with Steve Mannion's working methods, the absolute lack of any other names or signatures than his on either piece would be the tell ;)

I enjoy both and collect both but prefer the inks - it just has a more finished look for me.

However, I have some pencil pieces that I love and would not get inked, even by the same artist.

Most artists when they draw the whole page will do pencils and inks. But most people don't see the pencils because they have been erased. I don't really come across separate pencils and inks by the artist. Its usually just the finished inks they have done one lightbox pencils or printed from digital

Its when you have seprate penciler and inker that I mostly see then offered separately I prefer the traditional inks over pencils by each artist. I rarely get new art that is just pencils or inks over bluelines. Thats due alot to not word balloons. But if its the same artist drawing the whole piece, then the inks is what I would get. 

27 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I prefer the traditional inks over pencils by each artist. I rarely get new art that is just pencils or inks over bluelines. Thats due alot to not word balloons. 

same here, I miss the word balloons, or better yet hand lettering.  When did all digital lettering become common?  I have pages from '92 that have paste up word balloons and some from '94 that don't so it must have happened some time in the early '90's.  And the whole separate pencils and inks over blue line prints, when did that become common?

Edited by MIL0S

I'd rather have old style - pencils, inks, and words on one page.

Failing that, inks and pencils on one page.

Failing that, pencils without ink, but I want to find the inks to go with it

Finally, I'd buy ink over blue line. 

I'm not sure how to show this in your pole so I went for the third option.

I was really lucky, I bought a page from Bob Wiacek that I liked and later found the pencils! Read all about it by clicking on the image.

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

I'm old school (complete job, pencils & inks all on the one page . . . even if most of the pencil work has been erased by the inker).

Don't know how long they've been pencilling and inking as separate artworks (don't collect modern stuff), though I'd lean towards pencils (as that's where the creativity took place).

1 hour ago, MIL0S said:

same here, I miss the word balloons, or better yet hand lettering.  When did all digital lettering become common?  I have pages from '92 that have paste up word balloons and some from '94 that don't so it must have happened some time in the early '90's.  And the whole separate pencils and inks over blue line prints, when did that become common?

Digital lettering started in the early to mid 90s. Most of the big publishers switching over completely by the end of the 90s.

Most times when its pencils and inks on separate sheets its because the penciler and inkers lived far fro each other and the pencils are scanned and sent to the inker. But digital inks are being done more these days so pencils are the only physical part of the process. I don't know of any artists who does full pencils and then inks on a separate page.

21 minutes ago, malvin said:

I'm actually confused by the choices.  Does Inks only mean over blue line, or a "regular" page where the pencils are completely erased by the inker?

Malvin

My understanding is its inks only, no pencils on the page. The page was drawn by one artist.

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

I'm not sure how to show this in your pole so I went for the third option.

Third option was a joke. My first "joke" third option was, "hey vodou sucks, I'd never vote in any poll he created", but I opted for more lighthearted instead.

You really were supposed to pick ONE or THE OTHER; it's a highly controlled situation with little/no ambiguity (which is how polling is supposed to work).

Why I pick pencil only here (or any similar case), because that's the "art" (the creative work). Inks only is truly...tracerboy, with apology to Chasing Amy ;)

56 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I don't know of any artists who does full pencils and then inks on a separate page.

But now you do: Steve Mannion, along with any other artist that wants to get paid twice for the same art. That's not busting on him, I'm cool with it (actually prefer it over 'losing' the pencil to erasure) but let's call a spade a spade.

56 minutes ago, malvin said:

I'm actually confused by the choices.  Does Inks only mean over blue line, or a "regular" page where the pencils are completely erased by the inker?

Malvin

The pencil piece is all pencil (no ink).

The ink piece is all ink (no pencil). This is what will be published.

Think...lightbox.

I'm not calling you out specifically but actually everybody that seems confused...is it really that hard to understand?!

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

The pencil piece is all pencil (no ink).

The ink piece is all ink (no pencil). This is what will be published.

Think...lightbox.

I'm not calling you out specifically but actually everybody that seems confused...is it really that hard to understand?!

well, if it was only me, then it's me, but if everyone is confused, then your poll was confusing :)

Malvin