• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony Interactive creates game-to-film/TV division

12 posts in this topic

Sony Interactive Entertainment has launched PlayStation Productions, a production studio that will mine the company's extensive catalog of video game titles for film and television. The new enterprise, headed by Asad Qizilbash and overseen by chairman of Worldwide Studios at SIE, Shawn Layden, is already in production on its first slate of projects and has set up shop on the Sony Pictures lot in Culver City.

"We’ve got 25 years of game development experience and that’s created 25 years of great games, franchises and stories," Layden tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We feel that now is a good time to look at other media opportunities across streaming or film or television to give our worlds life in another spectrum."

"For the last year and half, two years, we’ve spent time trying to understand the industry, talking to writers, directors, producers," says Qizilbash. "We talked to [film producer] Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Kevin Feige to really get an understanding of the industry."

"We looked at what Marvel has done in taking the world of comic books and making it into the biggest thing in the film world," says Layden. "It would be a lofty goal to say we’re following in their footsteps, but certainly we’re taking inspiration from that."

PlayStation titles such as Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank and many others have grossed billions worldwide and sold millions of copies. Layden and Qizilbash see the diversity of PlayStation Productions' library as one of its major selling points.

"We want to create an opportunity for fans of our games to have more touch points with our franchises," says Layden. "When fans beat a 40-50 hour game and have to wait three-four years for a sequel, we want to give them places they can go and still have more of that experience and see the characters they love evolve in different ways."

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Haven't they been doing this already? I mean, most of the Marvel movies are very good if not great, while most video game movies are . . . "completely different".

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Wasn't someone supposed to make a God of War movie awhile ago?

Prince of Persia was an awesome game. Never saw the movie, though.

the Prince of Persia movie suck a big pile of poop 

Edited by kagenish

36 minutes ago, kagenish said:

the Prince of Persia movie suck a big pile of poop 

:whatthe:

Wow! You never post like that. Other than when someone makes a negative comment towards the Power Rangers TV show.

:baiting:

I was so-so on Prince of Persia. I own the bluray because it came as a stocking stuffer. But after your comment, now I have to ask if that came in place of coal.

:insane: