• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are so many pieces of art trimmed?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

There are a lot of trimmed pages of art, especially from the 70's and 80's. Why is that? Why are so many corners and edges trimmed off? It must be production related. But why? And who was doing the cutting, penciler, inker, colorist, someone in the printing department?

Anybody know for sure?

I don't remember the answer, but, either Heritage (I think; slight chance it was ComicLink) explained the reason in one of their auction listing descriptions once.  I think it had something to do with the corners being taped down during the printing process at this time (1980s) but, I don't remember the specifics.  

Maybe Barry Sandoval would know the answer...

Edited by delekkerste

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I don't remember the answer, but, either Heritage (I think; slight chance it was ComicLink) explained the reason in one of their auction listing descriptions once.  I think it had something to do with the corners being taped down during the printing process at this time (1980s) but, I don't remember the specifics.  

I'm sure Google knows, but I recall they were taped to a roll as part of the production process and it was quicker to quickly cut them off before they taped on the next page 

Malvin 

1 minute ago, malvin said:

I'm sure Google knows, but I recall they were taped to a roll as part of the production process and it was quicker to quickly cut them off before they taped on the next page 

I think that's the reason I read too. (thumbsu

58 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

49 minutes ago, malvin said:

Malvin 

8 minutes ago, kbmcvay said:

This is correct. The art was cut to save time in the production process. I think John Byrne mentioned this on his board once.

My understanding was this roller business was all part of the process to burn those K (of CMYK fame) printing plates. Those of you that have seen those plates know they are also curved, but concave, the opposite of a roller.

It had to do with taping the artwork down to be photographed for the plates, then they just would razor cut the art off the board it was mounted to. It was done for speed and convenience, as artwork was still thought of as worthless back then. As the production processes changed, that practice was thankfully stopped. 

I have always wondered why virtually all the early Marvel covers are neatly trimmed to the art. 

Covers I have personally seen that are all trimmed are Avengers #23, Spider-Man #30, & Fantastic Four #40 (all 1965). I haven't seen (or heard of) any earlier FF covers. The other two known AS-M covers I haven't seen, so someone else would have to chime in on those. Daredevil #10 is trimmed, but if memory serves has a sliver of border left on one or two sides. 

We know that by Spider-Man #40,(1966) the borders were intact,  although certain Marvel covers in 1966 still occasionally had at least partial trimming.

Anybody know anything about when (and why) the borders commonly stayed on the art ??   Never thought about this but is it possible the early covers never even had borders ??

3 hours ago, Madman1138 said:

It had to do with taping the artwork down to be photographed for the plates, then they just would razor cut the art off the board it was mounted to. It was done for speed and convenience, as artwork was still thought of as worthless back then. As the production processes changed, that practice was thankfully stopped. 

This is my understanding too. Learned it via a couple of OA veteran collectors at an OA panel. 

4 hours ago, hippiecop said:

I have always wondered why virtually all the early Marvel covers are neatly trimmed to the art. 

Covers I have personally seen that are all trimmed are Avengers #23, Spider-Man #30, & Fantastic Four #40 (all 1965). I haven't seen (or heard of) any earlier FF covers. The other two known AS-M covers I haven't seen, so someone else would have to chime in on those. Daredevil #10 is trimmed, but if memory serves has a sliver of border left on one or two sides. 

We know that by Spider-Man #40,(1966) the borders were intact,  although certain Marvel covers in 1966 still occasionally had at least partial trimming.

Anybody know anything about when (and why) the borders commonly stayed on the art ??   Never thought about this but is it possible the early covers never even had borders ??

HI HIPPIE!!!!  :)

great question!

Interestingly..... a lot of large art DC covers from 1961-1966 i've owned were also trimmed just to the art border and then glued down onto another SPARTA board as well.

I'm not exactly sure why this was done......... But it was........

Edited by romitaman

On 5/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, hippiecop said:

Was 28 trimmed as well?

My strong impression is that it is trimmed.  However I don't want to speak for the owner.  

I consider it to simply be "normal" for the pre-66 covers to be trimmed.  I remember holding the X-Men #25 cover in hand, and it has the border, but I'm too lazy to look up the issue date. Seems like that one is after 66 ??

Edited by hippiecop
correct grammer/punctuation

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The real question, has anyone here ever turned down a page they really wanted solely BECAUSE it was trimmed?

I cant imagine that, not if it doesnt effect the art itself.

not me!

Malvin

On 5/25/2019 at 9:14 AM, zhamlau said:

The real question, has anyone here ever turned down a page they really wanted solely BECAUSE it was trimmed?

I cant imagine that, not if it doesnt effect the art itself.

Only once.  On a Neal Adams Xmen page where a shot of Angel was trimmed as his hand went beyond the inked gutter line. :whatthe:  Bought it from a fellow boardie here and it freaked me out when I saw it in person and I got rid of it immediately ( and it was a nice page!).  I should also add that I suspect the trimming was done by a collector, and not done at the printers as part of the production process.

Generally though, no, trimmed art doesn't bother me.  

Edited by stinkininkin

Todd McFarlane tells a funny story about how he gifted the OA for his first ASM cover to his dad, and his dad bought a cheap frame and trimmed all 4 sides of the art down to the art area to fit the cheap frame. So Todd took it back lol. He showed it in a FB Live video and it breaks your heart.