• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christopher Nolan's TENET (717/20)
1 1

120 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

How much do we think the gross is down compared to if it were released in non pandemic times?

6 hours ago, Oddball said:

Wish I could have seen this in theaters. Finally settling down to watch this tonight. 

Simply amazing. Mind blown. I can’t wait to watch it a second time. And a third. Watched it on iTunes and dialogue was clear as a bell. I guess the sound issues were related to the theater. 

8 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Their dialogue was reversed if the speaker was inverted. That’s why you heard it twice in some scenes. That reversed garbled sound. I think they just switched to normal so we could follow? Like how they started speaking Russian in The Hunt for Red October and it morphed into English.

https://youtu.be/O_haZ5Vh16c

That's ok. But the translation is still faulty. Remember the scene on the boat, where the worker asked the villain wife, 'weren't you just here a minute ago?' No way you can just translate language backwards, he would also see every motion as backwards, so you'd have to also translate that backwards. By that argument, you should not see cars moving backwards, post translation. It's just like we have to put suspension of disbelief for some parts and not others - inconsistent.

As for the motions and language, I was confused at first, because you had inverted interacting with “normals” earlier but when Kat was on deck with her husband, they both appear to move forward in time together normally because she went through the turnstile and was no longer inverted. No mask required either. She inverted to get there and then “un-inverted?”

Edited by Oddball

Spoiler

I didn’t catch this on first viewing but the word TeneT is more than the organization. It’s the literal attack plan. Two teams (one inverted and one moving forward) on a ten minute assault of the installation with both teams meeting in the middle.

Finally caught this over the weekend , this may be Nolan’s crown jewel - but you will need to watch it again , at least one more time . By the end of the weekend I had watched it 3 times , two fully and the third piecemeal ... Goransson does a spectacular job very much akin to Zimmer's previous work with the director . I can’t sing the praises for this enough.

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

Watched Tenet on HBO over the weekend.
The acting felt really stilted, and the plot was almost impossible to follow.
Yet somehow, I think I'm in love with this movie, and I can't wait to watch it again.

Watch it backwards!  Then it makes complete sense.  (thumbsu

Watched it last night and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I feel like Christopher Nolan dreams up these convoluted plots and presents them as high concept masterpieces. They're visually beautiful and well made, I can't fault the production quality, but the story is just too contrived in trying to be an "intellectual" movie it loses any impact. Every scene in the movie feels disjointed and self serving, and I suppose you can try and say that's part of the time travel rigmarole, but it just made the movie feel empty and a chore to watch. 

4 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Watched it last night and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I feel like Christopher Nolan dreams up these convoluted plots and presents them as high concept masterpieces. They're visually beautiful and well made, I can't fault the production quality, but the story is just too contrived in trying to be an "intellectual" movie it loses any impact. Every scene in the movie feels disjointed and self serving, and I suppose you can try and say that's part of the time travel rigmarole, but it just made the movie feel empty and a chore to watch. 

I think I felt that way for the first half of the movie. And then,

Spoiler

around the time the go through the blue/red reverse-o room,

something clicked for me. 

3 hours ago, adampasz said:

Watched Tenet on HBO over the weekend.
The acting felt really stilted, and the plot was almost impossible to follow.
Yet somehow, I think I'm in love with this movie, and I can't wait to watch it again.

I watched it a few months back and thought 'oh well'.

Started watching it recently with my wife and all of a sudden certain scenes were clicking for me. Not all the way through yet. But so far it keeps the intensity and mystery going.

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

I think I felt that way for the first half of the movie. And then,

Reveal hidden contents

around the time the go through the blue/red reverse-o room,

something clicked for me. 

For me it immediately went to the very tropey and obvious "it was actually us all along now I have to go set up everything in the past".  The whole "temporal pincer move" bit being used by both the antagonist and protagonist doesn't make much sense if the future does indeed change the past and knows whats already happened. It's very paradoxical they explicitly say they can't come in contact with their past selves, yet JDWs character (I don't like that he doesn't have a name) gets right into a hand to hand fight with himself? I feel like if the universe was going to explode if you come into contact with your former self, clothing wouldn't really stop that from happening. For me it just doesn't work (shrug) Obviously my opinion and lack of enthusiasm shouldn't deter your enjoyment of the film, as they say to each their own!

3 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

For me it immediately went to the very tropey and obvious "it was actually us all along now I have to go set up everything in the past".  The whole "temporal pincer move" bit being used by both the antagonist and protagonist doesn't make much sense if the future does indeed change the past and knows whats already happened. It's very paradoxical they explicitly say they can't come in contact with their past selves, yet JDWs character (I don't like that he doesn't have a name) gets right into a hand to hand fight with himself? I feel like if the universe was going to explode if you come into contact with your former self, clothing wouldn't really stop that from happening. For me it just doesn't work (shrug) Obviously my opinion and lack of enthusiasm shouldn't deter your enjoyment of the film, as they say to each their own!

Yeah the full body suit preventing skin contact seems a little hokey but I guess they had to draw a line somewhere or contact would be fatal if the protagonist tossed a ball to himself and caught it. Try the low budget movie called Timecrimes (horrible name, I know) as it’s quite captivating.

Jesus wept, this was terrible.

Thank god I only saw it on Netflix.

Utter garbage.