• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover not square - How big a deal is it?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have just started buying a few comics again after about a 10 year break. Had not bought any CGC graded books until about 3 months ago.

Bought an NYX 3 on line graded at 9.2. When the book arrived you could easily see that the book is not cut square. I did not notice the issue in the JPG's and it was not discussed in the listing.

Across the top the book measures a little over 169 mm, while across the bottom it measures a little under 165 mm. 

How square the cover is should be factored into the grade?

4 mils seems like a lot.

There is some spin stress that is noticeable and an impression on the cover near the Mature readers label and the UPC code. Most of it I could not get a good photo of and not so troubling to me. The staples are not centered either.

On the back there is more spine stress than on the front, but an obvious ding that rolled the paper up on the corner.

My collecting goes back to the very early 80's and I still catalogue my books using the old 1992 grading guide, so maybe my expectations are off. But normally I lean to wanting a book that's centered and squared. Should I over look the 4 mil difference in this grade?

20190522_175636_resized.jpg

20190522_175852_resized.jpg

20190522_180019_resized.jpg

20190522_180208_resized.jpg

20190522_180359_resized.jpg

I have a slabbed book with a miscut similar to this. It's graded 9.4. It's tough to tell from the photos, but the damage to the back cover makes me wonder if the book may have a bit of SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome). I'm not sure I'd be completely overjoyed with this copy...  :frown:

Thank you all so far for your comments.

Enclosing details from the '92 grading guide I use. (I know I should update...)

The numbering system has changed, yet CGC is still using the same basic guidelines for each grade don't they? Meaning no obvious bindery defects in NM, even NM-?

As I try to gauge my own process, a 4 mil difference from top to bottom of book strikes me as an obvious bindery defect. 

Any opinions are appreciated.

20190523_145500_resized.jpg

20190523_145603_resized.jpg

20190523_145910_resized.jpg

Edited by fidei

2 hours ago, fidei said:

CGC is still using the same basic guidelines for each grade don't they? Meaning no obvious bindery defects in NM, even NM-?

lol Go look at some 9.8s with fugly diagonal miswraps and come back and tell us the answer. You can find lots here.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Go look at some 9.8s with fugly diagonal miswraps and come back and tell us the answer. You can find lots here.

Oh yes, I've seen that... So I must be in the crazy old guy who is too picky club!

I have seen many times here, "buy the book, not the grade". No more fuzzy photo buys for me while expecting the CGC grade to fit within my reading of the grade.

9 hours ago, fidei said:

Any opinions are appreciated.

Although not apparent to the naked eye, comics are OFTEN not cut with corners square.

Silver and Bronze age books in particular are commonly not square.

CGC doesn't downgrade from it unless it's extremely obvious and even then, it will keep books out of the NM range.

In the case of your book it likely does not affect the grade at all.

CGC does not grade comics the way old school dealers do. It's a similar set of rules with some tweaks to appeal to the mass market and appease both buyers and sellers.