• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
5 5

259 posts in this topic

There's a frazetta for sale, shocker.   I think it will be 10 years before there ISN'T a frazetta for sale.   Fun seeing them all.

Edited by Bronty

Guesses on ending price for the 9.4 CA1?  My mind goes to at or near seven figures but I have no idea if that's realistic.

Edited by Bronty

56 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Guesses on ending price for the 9.4 CA1?  My mind goes to at or near seven figures but I have no idea if that's realistic.

San Franciscos vary in their quality, but the Timelys are universally exceptional.  This copy should rival the Church.  IIRC the Allentown is a 9.8, so it's not the best, and there's another certified 9.4 out there (Denver), but I would imagine this one would be more desirable.  If not for the Allentown, then I would think 7 figures, but as it is... $750k? (shrug)

As for value, I'm not seeing where the bidder whose going to pay more than $1M for this comic is coming from.  

No Timely comic book has sold at auction for more than $350,000.  Harriri, who has been driving the record comic prices recently, is a DC guy.  

Here's the UNIVERSAL census:

9.8 - 1 (Allentown)

9.4 - 1 (San Francisco)

9.2 - 2

9.0 - 1

The highest price paid for a CA 1 was $343,057.00 at ComicConnect in 2011.  A 7.5 sold in 2018 on ComicConnect for $257,333.00.  

The only Marvel comics to top $500,000 are two copies of AF 15 (9.6 at $1.1M in 2011 and 9.4 at $704K in 2017).  

I would not bet that this comic will top $1M.

you forgot to include the 9.4 Denver copy.

Pretty amazing that there are 5 copies graded 9.2 or higher. Are there any other GA mega-keys with that many copies in better than 9.0 condition?

14 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

you forgot to include the 9.4 Denver copy.

Pretty amazing that there are 5 copies graded 9.2 or higher. Are there any other GA mega-keys with that many copies in better than 9.0 condition?

Its a milly book ...

5 minutes ago, Primetime said:

First time seeing this copy as it went MIA long ago. Also, first time seeing a January (1-8-41) arrival date on a Cap 1 which was nearly 3 weeks after it's initial release (12-20-40). 

My arrival date is Jan 6 1941.

I could trade my whole signature line for this Cap 1 and probably still be few hundred thousand $ short.

4 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

My arrival date is Jan 6 1941.

I could trade my whole signature line for this Cap 1 and probably still be few hundred thousand $ short.

I forgot about your copy Leroy! Make that two January copies LOL