• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
5 5

259 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

you forgot to include the 9.4 Denver copy.

Pretty amazing that there are 5 copies graded 9.2 or higher. Are there any other GA mega-keys with that many copies in better than 9.0 condition?

Well its the latest dated key so it makes sense :)

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

As for value, I'm not seeing where the bidder whose going to pay more than $1M for this comic is coming from.  

No Timely comic book has sold at auction for more than $350,000.  Harriri, who has been driving the record comic prices recently, is a DC guy.  

Here's the UNIVERSAL census:

9.8 - 1 (Allentown)

9.4 - 1 (San Francisco)

9.2 - 2

9.0 - 1

The highest price paid for a CA 1 was $343,057.00 at ComicConnect in 2011.  A 7.5 sold in 2018 on ComicConnect for $257,333.00.  

The only Marvel comics to top $500,000 are two copies of AF 15 (9.6 at $1.1M in 2011 and 9.4 at $704K in 2017).  

I would not bet that this comic will top $1M.

Denver is a 9.4

And here's my questions:

(1) I sort of think its a generous 9.4 based on the heritage picture (left corners top and bottom, ), anyone else agree?

(2) Would it benefit from a press?  (top left corner, page misalignment)

Glad you said what I was thinking.

28 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well its the latest dated key so it makes sense :)

i usually think of the Wonder Woman trio as being the last mega-keys, but those three issues combined have 4 copies total 9.2 or higher.

Even Sub-Mariner #1 which is the "last" big Timely key only has 2 copies in 9.2, (Torch #1 has 4 copies in 9.2 or higher).

51 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Denver is a 9.4

Rob's site says the Denver is a 9.2.

Census shows 1 9.4 universal and 1 9.4 restored.  Is this book not on the census and the Denver was upgraded?

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

And here's my questions:

(1) I sort of think its a generous 9.4 based on the heritage picture (left corners top and bottom, ), anyone else agree?

(2) Would it benefit from a press?  (top left corner, page misalignment)

I imagine it was pressed before graded. Can’t imagine ow 

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Census shows 1 9.4 universal and 1 9.4 restored.  Is this book not on the census and the Denver was upgraded?

A boardie owns the Denver 9.4

42 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

i usually think of the Wonder Woman trio as being the last mega-keys, but those three issues combined have 4 copies total 9.2 or higher.

Even Sub-Mariner #1 which is the "last" big Timely key only has 2 copies in 9.2, (Torch #1 has 4 copies in 9.2 or higher).

hm

29 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

A boardie owns the Denver 9.4

yup, along with some other killer high grade early Caps

Edited by Gotham Kid

Census will have 2 in 9.4 likely on Tuesday (I think it is) when census is updated.

Does anyone know if the Allentown is still a 9.6 in 9.8’s clothing now or if it was pressed/worked on before getting the new 9.8 badge? Also if the PQ changed on the new submit?

501947DB-D549-4A2B-8A52-113596AF35BA.jpeg.1f40c103b3eb78628747be2ef7621c62.jpeg

22 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Does anyone know if the Allentown is still a 9.6 in 9.8’s clothing now or if it was pressed/worked on before getting the new 9.8 badge? Also if the PQ changed on the new submit?

It looked like a 9.8 in 9.6 clothing in that old Overstreet photo.

1 hour ago, Timely said:

He felt the Denver was an 8.5 or possibly a 9.0.  He was over the moon when it graded out a 9.0 & he sold it to help cover the cost of the Allentown purchase.  It was then pressed to a 9.2.  It was then regraded a 3rd time as a 9.4 (not sure if it was pressed again). John was upset about this for 2 reasons.

1st, it's obviously worth way more as a 9.2 or 9.4 than it was as a 9.0 when he sold it.

2nd, he felt the Allentown was FAR superior to the Denver, but the Denver was now a 9.4 & his Allentown a 9.6. 

But, John being John, took these lemons & made lemonade.  He went to cgc and argued his case explaining how superior the Allentown was.  It was then regraded a 9.8.

That's the story John told me. 

sounds a bit like a cry-baby ?

when it worked in his favor all is good but when not bwahah no fair.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A crybaby with enough stroke to bend CGC to his will

Or they grew tired of the whining 

Edited by Gotham Kid

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A crybaby with enough stroke to bend CGC to his will

Reminds me of Doug Schmell’s MO to get his books to 9.8 grade