• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
5 5

259 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That makes more sense, but yes he shows a meager 3 posts to his name. I say that knowing full well my post count is meager too

He was just Sartre before. Steve A is a well known artist and comic collector. 

21 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Both scans are arguably "off" color-wise.  I suspect the culprit is the CGC "billboard" label.  The color of the label pops at the expense of the book because it's so near the surface of the holder.  It probably forces whoever is in charge of imaging Heritage scans to figure out a way to make the comic book images as bold or bolder than CGC's advertising billboard, ...excuse me, label.

The way this appears to have been done ...and it's purely speculation on my part as I don't have access to Heritage's scanner to cross-reference the settings... is by boosting the color saturation, brightness and white level while tweaking the contrast enough to maintain satisfactory black levels.  Sharpness also seems bumped up (probably via clarity and shadow removal settings).  HA scans look like they've been imaged with lid closed using a solid white backing.  

The end result is an oversaturated color palette for the book with the CGC label's blue changing hue from dark blue to pale blue. Notice that the subtle lighter blue CGC trademark imprinted in the center of the label, seen clearly in the darker scan.  It almost disappears in the brighter image.

This is a rescan of a recent HA win from my HP scanner...

Reveal hidden contents

edited-image_zpsyxcvvzr1.png

To get a fair representation of this book in hand it was necessary to adjust settings in the Photo-bucket Editor after scanning the book.  Notice how the label still overwhelms the book, but the colors appear uniform and accurate.  What I think Heritage has been attempting to do is make CGC graded books pop color-wise while walking back the hyper-emphasized, overpowering label.  While I'll give HA props for a noble effort, there's obviously a trade off that results in excessive color saturation.  If I can dig up the original Heritage scan of this book, I'll edit it into this post for comparison.

Back on point, the only way CGC could make these labels more unmissable would be to add Braille bumps.  

The State of Texas legislature is trying to pass a bill outlawing the "billboard label" because anecdotal evidence shows they attract locusts.

20 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

He was just Sartre before. Steve A is a well known artist and comic collector. 

@sartrexpress

If these two are you...

Capture2.thumb.PNG.6b2f3b66bc5647fac549e3863bf05f7e.PNG

.........and you want to revert to your old self, you can raise a request here to have the two accounts merged:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/80-account-merge-requests/

Capture.thumb.PNG.d9e89abc2d26fac13bdafab65398d2df.PNG

But only if you want to :)

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Why is it tolerated?

Are you trying to be sarcastic here or just plead total ignorance about this comic book marketplace. doh!

The answer is just so obvious:

:flipbait:

And so much more for all parties involved, as long as they are willing to play the game.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Are you trying to be sarcastic here or just plead total ignorance about this comic book marketplace.

The answer is just so obvious:

:flipbait:

And so much more for all parties involved, as long as they are willing to play the game.  :gossip:

I'm saying I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore! :mad:

:bigsmile:

I know exactly whats going on lou. It goes on the world over. Sometimes though, it gets a bit silly and you just feel like voicing the bleedin obvious. Pub talk...

Oh I didn’t even realize my post name had changed... lol... I started to post books years ago but then lost interest after the site had changed and for some reason it felt more time consuming... my opinion on the scan debate is that to see anything you have to see it in person .. and even then your looking through plastic... lol

On 5/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, sartrexpress said:

The Denver Cap #1 originally was purchased at Greg Manning and was considered the second best Cap #1 at 9.0 .. years later other lesser copies were subsequently graded 9.2's.. I brought the Denver to a Chicago Con about 6 years ago where it was regraded by CGC twice from a 9.2 to a 9.4. I have never seen the SF Cap #1 but looking at the scans the corners look a little soft. I also own the Allentown Cap 3 which does have more brilliant gloss and color than the Denver Cap 1 so I would assume the Allentown Cap 1 beats the Denver in that respect. The Denver though has extremely sharp corners and a perfect spine. 

cap 1 9.4 v.jpg

Yep.  Your Denver looks much sharper than the SF.  

Maybe you can go back to Heritage and get them to elevate you to that empty 9.6 slot?  It seems that the grading on this book is all about relative grades, not objective grades.  

1 hour ago, sartrexpress said:

But I’m still interested in knowing the history of the SF Cap 1?  West ....do you know what or where it’s been? I would assume it important on such a high priced item to establish a provenance... 

My experience happened at the 1972 or 73 Berkeley when Nick brought a stack of GA timely   in at that convention and showed me the entire stack. LOOK what we just bought..60/70 timelys including the Cap#1--it looked mint then  also. At some point I had heard that his comic shop got robbed..and I would assume those went missing...I don't have the whole story...just bits and pieces of info...but that is the extent of what I remember.  Can somebody fill in what happened? I remember Nick saying something about $1 a book or there about.

Edited by Mmehdy

39 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

My experience happened at the 1972 or 73 Berkeley when Nick brought a stack of GA timely   in at that convention and showed me the entire stack. LOOK what we just bought..60/70 timelys including the Cap#1--it looked mint then  also. At some point I had heard that his comic shop got robbed..and I would assume those went missing...I don't have the whole story...just bits and pieces of info...but that is the extent of what I remember.  Can somebody fill in what happened? I remember Nick saying something about $1 a book or there about.

I have been told that the Cap 1 and Torch 5 went MIA. I've never seen the Reilly copy of either book, until now (Cap 1). I'm still imagining the Cap 1 rolled up with a thick rubber band on the pallet :x at the Berkeley Con, Easter Sunday 1973. 

This book has a number of strikes against it. It is over-graded, the label is billboard sized, the scan is screwed up, it is apparently stolen, and the word on the street is it has an overwhelming stench of sulfur and brimstone.

17 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

This book has a number of strikes against it. It is over-graded, the label is billboard sized, the scan is screwed up, it is apparently stolen, and the word on the street is it has an overwhelming stench of sulfur and brimstone.

It's clearly been disassembled from my viewing of the scans. 

20 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Have to disagree here, 

1-Over graded...that is CGC's call...I agree its a very strong 9.2...clearly the best Cap I have ever seen and that was a long long time ago.

2-I understand about the label

3-missing or gone...there is some real story here...of course I have heard the rumors...just can't put them on the board, lets just say misplaced..or missing for a time..20+ plus years...interesting to see a purchase history of this book and whether a actual insurance claim was made and paid...again..there is a story here....hard to nail down. Somebody knows much more.....and who really cares at this point...it's 2019.....this will be watched very closely by a lot of people...and watch for a new world record price for Cap1...

It is a great book, 9.2/9.4, pedigree etc....its worth every penny of 1 mil...and then some.....

Edited by Mmehdy

20 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

:roflmao:So, you're in the hunt then? 

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

:roflmao:So, you're in the hunt then? 

This is the THE book of 2019...when looking back at history.......a lot of people are gonna be in the hunt.....I value it as the #3 most valuable comic book with A1/D27 on top in my opinion especially in very high grade.

Edited by Mmehdy