• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
5 5

259 posts in this topic

The 3 Denver’s I’ve been fortunate to have  owned were

batman 1

hyper mystery 1

worlds famous heroes 1

but NEVER hello pal!! Only a real collector could stomach that book @strawman

When the Denver collection first surfaced, Joe Dungan and I were in direct contact with Payette. He agreed to send us two boxes of books for us to consider. I was at Joe’s house when the packages arrived, we each opened a box and were taken aback just how nice the books were overall.

I purchased the Mystery Men 1, Weird 1, Green Mask 1, and Amazing Adventure Funnies 1. Joe purchased several books, Shadow 1 and Green Hornet 1, plus a few others that I can’t recall. Unfortunately money was tight for us at the time, so the rest of the books were reluctantly shipped back to Jim.

I eventually moved the Green Mask 1, then the Weird 1 went to Harley. 

I still have the Mystery Men 1 and Amazing Adventure Funnies 1.

Facebook post on the book:

Nick Marcus & Mike Manyak paid a buck for this Captain America #1 Easter weekend 1973. They blatantly lied to Dr Arnheim. A buck each for all those Timely issues they "liberated" by being liars that Sunday at Berkeleycon we hosted on the UC-Berkeley campus.

At one point this CA #1 and all the other Timely Comics they had picked up that day were burglarized from their Walnut Creek Calif comic book store. When was it recovered? Just curious as I seek to make Comic Book Store Wars as accurate as humanly possible.

There was a police report made. Made the local newspapers as a printed record. Nick and Mike were depressed over the loss for many years.

The Tom Reilly collection of almost 4000 NM/M white paper high grade comic books was never in San Francisco.

Ignorance much less arrogance continues to be displayed by those who place "San Francisco" on their little sticker peel-off label.

More so, such "SF" designation dishonors the memory of a man who gave up his life for our country serving in the Pacific War while his parents bought one of each thru the summer 1945. There were also some duplicates. I take a knee in public on this one, Steve Geppi

The Tom Reilly Detective Comics #27, Whiz 2 (#1), Mystery Men #1 are out "there" amongst thousands of others still waiting to be re-identified by a bonafide expert on this particular collection.

The Tec 27 & Whiz were sold by me directly to Burrell Rowe then of Houston. Both were the very first comic books in the world to sell for $2000 (Whiz) and then a week later $2200 (Detective) which garnered major AP/UPI media coverage nationwide wide.

We ended up with 3 more Tec 27 copies within a month. Plus hundreds more "virgin" collections began pouring in. Comics and Comix was now "on the map" in many a collector's radar.

Burrell told me when I was interviewing him in the mid 90s he sold the Reilly Tec 27 to Gary and Lane Carter. The trail to trace is out there......

It takes a village.....

(Mark Seifert & Richard Johnston at Bleeding Cool please take note as human interest justice story. The entire story is much larger in scope. Then again, CGC advertises. I understand)

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Nick Marcus & Mike Manyak paid a buck for this Captain America #1 Easter weekend 1973. They blatantly lied to Dr Arnheim. A buck each for all those Timely issues they "liberated" by being liars that Sunday at Berkeleycon we hosted on the UC-Berkeley campus.

At one point this CA #1 and all the other Timely Comics they had picked up that day were burglarized from their Walnut Creek Calif comic book store. When was it recovered? Just curious as I seek to make Comic Book Store Wars as accurate as humanly possible.

There was a police report made. Made the local newspapers as a printed record. Nick and Mike were depressed over the loss for many years.

The Tom Reilly collection of almost 4000 NM/M white paper high grade comic books was never in San Francisco.

Ignorance much less arrogance continues to be displayed by those who place "San Francisco" on their little sticker peel-off label.

More so, such "SF" designation dishonors the memory of a man who gave up his life for our country serving in the Pacific War while his parents bought one of each thru the summer 1945. There were also some duplicates. I take a knee in public on this one, Steve Geppi

The Tom Reilly Detective Comics #27, Whiz 2 (#1), Mystery Men #1 are out "there" amongst thousands of others still waiting to be re-identified by a bonafide expert on this particular collection.

The Tec 27 & Whiz were sold by me directly to Burrell Rowe then of Houston. Both were the very first comic books in the world to sell for $2000 (Whiz) and then a week later $2200 (Detective) which garnered major AP/UPI media coverage nationwide wide.

We ended up with 3 more Tec 27 copies within a month. Plus hundreds more "virgin" collections began pouring in. Comics and Comix was now "on the map" in many a collector's radar.

Burrell told me when I was interviewing him in the mid 90s he sold the Reilly Tec 27 to Gary and Lane Carter. The trail to trace is out there......

It takes a village.....

(Mark Seifert & Richard Johnston at Bleeding Cool please take note as human interest justice story. The entire story is much larger in scope. Then again, CGC advertises. I understand)

Let me comment on the above.

I was at the Con and saw Nick and Mike that Sunday showing the stack of books. I can also confirm that Burrell Rowe did buy the D27/Whiz 2(1) for the record prices as we did several deals together . I suspect...but cannot confirm that the Ha 8.0   million dollar copy might be the SF/TR copy. Just guess here. Much of the SF books were sold by Mr Geber to fund those books...and there was lawsuit that was later settled by the estate....I cannot confirm that C/C got 3 T27 in, But I can confirm that they got one and brought to the Sacramento store and I held in my hands...probably 7.0.......

On which is the better 9.4 at this point I would call it even........so its the tied for the second best copy out there.....

3 hours ago, sartrexpress said:

Here's the back cover of the Denver Cap #1 9.4

cap 1 back.jpg

To each their own, but I absolutely love looking at the back cover of books, especially when they look so perfect and white as this Denver Cap 1 here.  :luhv:

What an absolute beauty of a back cover here.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, dem1138 said:

This is the first I've heard about the Reilly books having a copy of Mystery Men #1 in there.  :whatthe:

I guess nobody knows where this copy would be?  Is it possible that it just might not have any of the tell tale Reilly codes on it or did all of the books from this pedigree collection come with the designated codes without any exceptions?  ???

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I eventually moved the Green Mask 1, then the Weird 1 went to Harley. 

Any reason for you to move the Green Mask 1 and the Weird 1 or was it because they just weren't quite as sharp as the Mystery Men 1 and the Amazing Adventure Funnies 1?  

Just read from Bob's Facebook page that there were duplicates in the Tom Reilly collection.  As far as you know, were there any dups in the Denver Collection?  hm

13 hours ago, dem1138 said:

So they paid almost as much for the Cap #1 as Beerbong paid the Bails widow for an entire run of All Star Comics 40+ years later.

But maybe that lawsuit against CGC will work out and he can pay her double.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Rob's site says the Denver is a 9.2.

Census shows 1 9.4 universal and 1 9.4 restored.  Is this book not on the census and the Denver was upgraded?

I'm out of date, it appears. It happens. I've got a big update coming up so I'll correct (and update the San Francisco with a grade) 

19 hours ago, nearmint said:

The Bat 1 has a cleaned cover.  It resides in a 9.0 PLOD holder.

The MC #1 used to be an 8.5, but might have graduated to 9.0 somewhere along the way.

I've got a note on the MC #1. I'll update on the Bat #1

2 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I've got a note on the MC #1. I'll update on the Bat #1

Rob, to be clear on the MC 1, I see two sales at 8.5.  I only mentioned the possibility that it might have graduated to 9.0 because someone else posted that they thought it was a 9.0.  I haven't found any evidence of that. 

1 minute ago, nearmint said:

Rob, to be clear on the MC 1, I see two sales at 8.5.  I only mentioned the possibility that it might have graduated to 9.0 because someone else posted that they thought it was a 9.0.  I haven't found any evidence of that. 

I don't remember off-hand what spurred me to make the change, but I upgraded the book on the site a few months ago. Also, there are no 8.5s in the census. 

3 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I don't remember off-hand what spurred me to make the change, but I upgraded the book on the site a few months ago. Also, there are no 8.5s in the census. 

Ah, so it did upgrade. 

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Is it possible that it just might not have any of the tell tale Reilly codes on it or did all of the books from this pedigree collection come with the designated codes without any exceptions?  ???

FYI I have the Bats 15 and World's Finest 10 Reilly books (both CGC'd as SF copies).  Neither have the name stamp on the back, although the WF has a date code on fc.  Unsure if there was a difference between the books he picked up himself vs. those his parents bought after he went off to the service.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

So they paid almost as much for the Cap #1 as Beerbong paid the Bails widow for an entire run of All Star Comics 40+ years later.

But maybe that lawsuit against CGC will work out and he can pay her double.

Wait did he really pay Bails' widow $1.50 for that run?  How is that even possible?

16 hours ago, dem1138 said:

I had heard Nick and Mike paid roughly $1,000 for 60 Timelys on that day...that comes out to $16.66 per book or $98.48/book in today's money. Anybody have a 1973 OSPG?