• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
5 5

259 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Comics are now commodities.

I wish all comics other than mine were free.

Better yet, I wish you would pay me to haul away some of your long forgotten GA books so that you would have more free space to store all of those red hot MA newsstand variants that you must be getting into your stores.  :baiting:  :takeit:

Moreover, if trimming and color touching were practices as accepted as pressing to still deserve a blue label, all comics today would be pressed, trimmed and color touched to get the most of your buck and that will be the new standard.

hm Hmm although I found micro-trimming and color touching on cracked books that had blue labels but at least that is not a standard....yet :wishluck:

27 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Moreover, if trimming and color touching were practices as accepted as pressing to still deserve a blue label, all comics today would be pressed, trimmed and color touched to get the most of your buck and that will be the new standard.

hm Hmm although I found micro-trimming and color touching on cracked books that had blue labels but at least that is not a standard....yet :wishluck:

Not sure about the color touch aspect, but when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as one of their Consignment Directors or when Jason becomes the head of CGC grading, you'll know that micro-trimming is fully launched and good to go.  hm  lol

That's also when all of the speculators and flippers will be running down to the nearest dollar store to buy the best pair of sccissors they can in order to take full advantage of CGC's latest strategy to get more new submissions by further maximizing the potential of collectors' books.  :devil:

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the color touch aspect, but when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as one of their Consignment Directors or when Jason becomes the head of CGC grading, you'll know that micro-trimming is fully launched and good to go.  hm  lol

That's also when all of the speculators and flippers will be running down to the nearest dollar store to buy the best pair of sccissors they can in order to take full advantage of CGC's latest strategy to get more new submissions by further maximizing the potential of collectors' books.  :devil:

Trimming is not restoration. Sorry. Not applicable here but saw the word trimming and felt a need to say that again 

8 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Trimming is not restoration. Sorry. Not applicable here but saw the word trimming and felt a need to say that again 

Never said that trimming was considered to be restoration as I was simply responding to the previous board member who talking about micro-trimmming and color touch.  (thumbsu

Speaking of which, trimming is something which is completely different from micro-trimming when it's been done properly.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

So how does everyone feel about doing bikini wax to remove stains and Botox for getting rid of unsightly creases? :popcorn:

Edited by D84
Didn't get the joke at first

On 5/26/2019 at 11:01 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 5/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, lou_fine said:

I wondered if anybody has ever bothered to try to return a book to Heritage due to the inaccurate colors of their scans?  :p

I bet you if you throw around words such as misleading, misrepresentation, or potentially fraudulent, you would get your money back right away.  Of course, you most likely wouldn't ever be allowed to bid in any of their future auctions going forward.  hm  :censored:

I suspect if I wanted to return that book

1) heritage would take it back

2) i’d be allowed to bid going forward. 

Judging from returns on some books I've consigned to them, Heritage certainly seems willing to accept pretty thin excuses. Don't know, of course, whether the bidder was then sanctioned in some way. I've been told that they do revoke your bidding privileges if you just walk away from a winning bid. 

16 hours ago, AJD said:
18 hours ago, N e r V said:

Heritage scan:

What you get in the mail:

I think we've all been there! lol

So, you are saying it really is like this:

The San Francisco copy of Cap 1 from Heritage's scan:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F9%2F9%2F7%2F20997799%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

As compared to the colors from the picture from Gator's lousy camera:

4539099E-3BFB-4874-A87F-CC016EBD61B9.jpeg

Looks the same to me, OR NOT!!!   lol  (tsk)

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, you are saying it really is like this:

The San Francisco copy of Cap 1 from Heritage's scan:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F9%2F9%2F7%2F20997799%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

As compared to the colors from the picture from Gator's lousy camera:

4539099E-3BFB-4874-A87F-CC016EBD61B9.jpeg

Looks the same to me, OR NOT!!!   lol  (tsk)

I'd be furious if I bought a book from them and the colors were that obviously doctored in the scan.

Good thing I avoid them.

Books coming off the newsstand often weren’t as “cartoonish” bright as scans by them. I place them in with what you look at with many books on comics in their color photo sections they are often set at maximum brightness with full color pop. 

In my experience Heritage scans are pretty unrealistic with their “pop” factor and comic link has been guilty in the other direction with muted colors that make some books look worse.

I could mention a few sellers here that like to turn up the juice with their scans or others that use the worse looking “ghetto “ scans too...lol

Edited by N e r V

Just curious - back on p10 of this thread Bob Beerbohm is quoted as saying the San Francisco CA#1 was stolen from Dan Marcus (which seems to be true). Stolen is stolen. Things don't get unstolen if enough time passes. So wouldn't he (or his estate) have a claim to the $3.2 million copy ?

BTW, depending on which story you believe, the Timely comics from the SF pedigree were either $1 each or $1000 for the lot (60-ish items). When his Captain America #1 was stolen less than a year after he bought it, Marcus valued it at $1,000: "The missing books [all first issues] include a 'Captain America' valued at about $1000. Marcus said he has seen other copies of his book sell for as much as $2,000."