• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best method to value a larger collection when making an offer.
5 5

163 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2019 at 9:24 PM, gadzukes said:

I took what Flying Donut & Moondog said as the best advice and was prepared to use their methods.

However, the first time i went out and met with him, I got a vibe (my spider sense) was telling me he would take just about any offer I gave him.  Because of that vibe I decided to take a risk and give him a much lower offer just to see what his counter offer was going to be.  To my surprise (and delight) there was no counter offer, he was super happy with my offer and gladly took it.

I noticed that he had no interest whatsoever in going thru any of the comics with me, or looking at the inventory notes I was taking, or anything!  I've always told him about the Keys I've been finding, but he's kind of disinterested.  He's more interested in chatting with me about baseball which I actually really enjoy.

I'm going to admit that I'm getting a great deal.  He's exactly the type of seller you want to find.  Having said all of this...... I think I've given him about $14,000 so far.  And I'm going to be spending $1000s more on his final 5 or 6 boxes.

To answer my own original post..... I think you go in "with a plan" like Flying Donut's or Moondogs, but every deal and every seller is going to be different.  Sometimes you gotta listen to your intuition. This guy is happy with any offer I give him (except an offer for the whole collection.... for some reason he didn't want to do that).   Every time I leave his house he's got a big smile on his face, gives me a big handshake and tells me whenever I'm ready with some more cash to just give him a call and come over.

To answer ThothAmon's question above....  I valued it low, expecting a counter offer.  The counter offer never came, so I am very fortunate.    If the counter offer would have come I was prepared to pay much more.

A little late to respond to this, but part of my original post from 2005 should include to "use your intuition".  Never pay more than you need to.  You "thought" you could get it at a great price and you were right.  Way to go!