• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best method to value a larger collection when making an offer.
5 5

163 posts in this topic

So I just got back from my 4th trip out to buy this OO collection.

Each long box I open is a mystery.  Some boxes have had with big water stains, but every once in a while a GREAT box shows up.

Today he presented me with 3 long boxes & 1 short box to go through.  The first box I opened (the short box) was 100% Fantastic Fours starting with #6 and going up to about 200 I think.

Some of them are GORGEOUS!

Take a look:

The 48 presents like a 7.0 but I found a 2" tear on the back cover.

The 49 is superb.  I think with a press it's an 8.5 with a chance at a 9.0.

The 50 is here too but only a 4.0 or so.

a1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

On 5/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, shadroch said:

A quick clean profit beats dealing with thirteen boxes.

my limit used to be 6. I think the most I've ever purchased was 27. 13 is a piece of cake for me now

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

my limit used to be 6. I think the most I've ever purchased was 27. 13 is a piece of cake for me now

I've brought home 19 boxes now from this collection..... I left 2 at his house on this trip (because I didn't bring enough cash).  He said he probably has 5 or 6 more boxes in storage.

2 boxes were all random comics, no runs of anything, which REALLY makes it hard to go through!!!

However in the randomness I pulled out a Hulk 180 (about 7.0) and an Adventure comics 210 (first Krypto 1.0 because of a split cover spine).

Edited by gadzukes

16 hours ago, gadzukes said:

2 boxes were all random comics, no runs of anything, which REALLY makes it hard to go through!!!

However in the randomness I pulled out a Hulk 180 (about 7.0) and an Adventure comics 210 (first Krypto 1.0 because of a split cover spine).

what an amazing collection to acquire. Those Fantastic Fours seem to be in great condition.

58 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

most I ever bought was 250+, honestly was to much and storage has been a problem.

:whatthe: OMG, I hope there was plenty of SA & GA and not just 1990s drek.

The cool thing about this collection I've been buying is that 70% of it is SA Marvel & DC, with another 25% being Bronze Marvel & DC.  There's a tiny sprinkling of GA & Copper.

And even better....... the majority of the comics are in really nice shape.

I'm pretty happy.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

:whatthe: OMG, I hope there was plenty of SA & GA and not just 1990s drek.

The cool thing about this collection I've been buying is that 70% of it is SA Marvel & DC, with another 25% being Bronze Marvel & DC.  There's a tiny sprinkling of GA & Copper.

And even better....... the majority of the comics are in really nice shape.

I'm pretty happy.

your collection is an awesome one.

The 250 boxes was filled with oddball things, posters, statues, fanzines, cards, books... actually very few were comics. The owner collected based on artists he liked. Steranko, Gulacy, Dave Steven's, Kirby

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

The 250 boxes was filled with oddball things, posters, statues, fanzines, cards, books... actually very few were comics. The owner collected based on artists he liked. Steranko, Gulacy, Dave Steven's, Kirby

Yep and I have an item from that pedigree thx to Artboy

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Whoa...... that actually sounds really cool.  How many boxes do you have left?

SO my wife has been in Spain for the last month while I've bought this collection (I'll be joining her soon).

I've been telling her I've been buying some comics, but didn't tell her there are 19 long boxes in the house :eek:.  She's a neat freak so she's not going to be happy about that.