• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best method to value a larger collection when making an offer.
5 5

163 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

SO my wife has been in Spain for the last month while I've bought this collection (I'll be joining her soon).

I've been telling her I've been buying some comics, but didn't tell her there are 19 long boxes in the house :eek:.  She's a neat freak so she's not going to be happy about that.

Well you have some splainin to do :whistle: if for any reason is needed, may I be the beneficiary?

12 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

SO my wife has been in Spain for the last month while I've bought this collection (I'll be joining her soon).

I've been telling her I've been buying some comics, but didn't tell her there are 19 long boxes in the house :eek:.  She's a neat freak so she's not going to be happy about that.

it's cool, just neatly stack them against a wall, then build a new wall. Putting everything that was on the other wall on the new wall.  SHE WILL NEVER KNOW.

Hate to say it but Gadzukes has some splainin to do to us to.  Your initial post requested we give you our thoughts on how to value a large collection.  Now that you've bought said large collection ... Do tell as to how you and the seller valued it?  Please.

Edited by ThothAmon

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

SELL, baby SELL!

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Hate to say it but Gadzukes has some splainin to do to us to.  Your initial post requested we give you our thoughts on how to value a large collection.  Now that you've bought said large collection ...

Do tell as to how you and the seller valued it?  Please.

I took what Flying Donut & Moondog said as the best advice and was prepared to use their methods.

However, the first time i went out and met with him, I got a vibe (my spider sense) was telling me he would take just about any offer I gave him.  Because of that vibe I decided to take a risk and give him a much lower offer just to see what his counter offer was going to be.  To my surprise (and delight) there was no counter offer, he was super happy with my offer and gladly took it.

I noticed that he had no interest whatsoever in going thru any of the comics with me, or looking at the inventory notes I was taking, or anything!  I've always told him about the Keys I've been finding, but he's kind of disinterested.  He's more interested in chatting with me about baseball which I actually really enjoy.

I'm going to admit that I'm getting a great deal.  He's exactly the type of seller you want to find.  Having said all of this...... I think I've given him about $14,000 so far.  And I'm going to be spending $1000s more on his final 5 or 6 boxes.

To answer my own original post..... I think you go in "with a plan" like Flying Donut's or Moondogs, but every deal and every seller is going to be different.  Sometimes you gotta listen to your intuition. This guy is happy with any offer I give him (except an offer for the whole collection.... for some reason he didn't want to do that).   Every time I leave his house he's got a big smile on his face, gives me a big handshake and tells me whenever I'm ready with some more cash to just give him a call and come over.

To answer ThothAmon's question above....  I valued it low, expecting a counter offer.  The counter offer never came, so I am very fortunate.    If the counter offer would have come I was prepared to pay much more.

6 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Whoa...... that actually sounds really cool.  How many boxes do you have left?

Quite a few. We have sold lots of the collection, and I sold all of the statues at the last show we did so that removed about 15 of the boxes and large space takers.

You can check out our thread on the collection here:

22 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Quite a few. We have sold lots of the collection, and I sold all of the statues at the last show we did so that removed about 15 of the boxes and large space takers.

You can check out our thread on the collection here:

Wow.  That's one sweet collection.  Valuing comics is one thing but valuing all of that would be tough.  I hope you got a great deal.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I took what Flying Donut & Moondog said as the best advice and was prepared to use their methods.

However, the first time i went out and met with him, I got a vibe (my spider sense) was telling me he would take just about any offer I gave him.  Because of that vibe I decided to take a risk and give him a much lower offer just to see what his counter offer was going to be.  To my surprise (and delight) there was no counter offer, he was super happy with my offer and gladly took it.

I noticed that he had no interest whatsoever in going thru any of the comics with me, or looking at the inventory notes I was taking, or anything!  I've always told him about the Keys I've been finding, but he's kind of disinterested.  He's more interested in chatting with me about baseball which I actually really enjoy.

I'm going to admit that I'm getting a great deal.  He's exactly the type of seller you want to find.  Having said all of this...... I think I've given him about $14,000 so far.  And I'm going to be spending $1000s more on his final 5 or 6 boxes.

To answer my own original post..... I think you go in "with a plan" like Flying Donut's or Moondogs, but every deal and every seller is going to be different.  Sometimes you gotta listen to your intuition. This guy is happy with any offer I give him (except an offer for the whole collection.... for some reason he didn't want to do that).   Every time I leave his house he's got a big smile on his face, gives me a big handshake and tells me whenever I'm ready with some more cash to just give him a call and come over.

To answer ThothAmon's question above....  I valued it low, expecting a counter offer.  The counter offer never came, so I am very fortunate.    If the counter offer would have come I was prepared to pay much more.

You can send me one of those sweet Silver Age Fantastic Fours as my consulting fee. :takeit:

Very nice find - and for those who are going to complain about your "ethics" or your price, you gave the guy what he asked for. Plus $20K isn't chicken feed. Nice job.

He keeps telling me his dad told him that there are 2 copies of Superman #1 in the collection.  So far no Superman #1 and really not much GA.

I would be pretty stoked if there's a Superman 1 in one of these last boxes.  I have a feeling if his dad had 2 copies of S1 that he would have put them somewhere else (his dad was a hoarder so they could be hidden anywhere).

So this guy has a collection of Playboys starting with number 1.  Should I make a play for that too?  I know the 1st few are probably worth a lot, but the rest?(shrug)  I guess I should at least look at what condition they are in, and double check the Centerfolds:wink: 

Playboys really haven't held their value mainly because everyone kept them. That being said, there are some valuable ones. All of the first year, especially January, February, March, and November, 1954. January 1955 has a Bettie Page centerfold. December, 1960 has a Christmas cover and is very hard to find in grade. June, 1962 has a very risque cover for the time (seriously!) was pulled in several states, tough issue to find.

How far up does it go? There are some 1990s issues that sell very well.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Playboys really haven't held their value mainly because everyone kept them. That being said, there are some valuable ones. All of the first year, especially January, February, March, and November, 1954. January 1955 has a Bettie Page centerfold. December, 1960 has a Christmas cover and is very hard to find in grade. June, 1962 has a very risque cover for the time (seriously!) was pulled in several states, tough issue to find.

How far up does it go? There are some 1990s issues that sell very well.

I'll ask him more about it.

I have a feeling since the comics have been going so well with him that I may as well look into the Playboy mags.  They're not my thing, but the Playboy #1 is Iconic.

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

collection of Playboys

Buy it all.  You don't really want him seeking out another purchaser do you?    Sounds like you can slab/sell the #1 and more than make up for what the entire collection will cost you.  One major negative for Playboys is they are heavy.  

Edited by ThothAmon

3 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Buy it all.  You don't really want him seeking out another purchaser do you?    Sounds like you can slab/sell the #1 and more than make up for what the entire collection will cost you.  One major negative for Playboys is they are heavy.  

People have been known to slip $100 dollar bills in playboys-collection could be chock full of em!

4 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

What people are you talking about?  LMAO.

People with hundys that hide from wife in the one place she wont look-his playboys.