• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best method to value a larger collection when making an offer.
5 5

163 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Wow.  That's one sweet collection.  Valuing comics is one thing but valuing all of that would be tough.  I hope you got a great deal.

We really liked the collection but it was and is a ton of work and it essentially had zero 'hot' keys.  It's a lot easier to value, move, store and sell FF 48-50 than to sell 100's of oddball fanzines, magazines. books and toys.  On the other hand, I like weird and old comic related stuff and I like selling stuff nobody else has, if someone likes it he probably won't find it at another seller's booth or for a lot of this stuff, he won't ever see it again.

Paid more than the value of the obvious stuff but our guts told us there was a lot of unknown stuff that would have value.  Took part of it to the Calgary Expo and had a feeding frenzy and broke even by the end of that show.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

We really liked the collection but it was and is a ton of work and it essentially had zero 'hot' keys.  It's a lot easier to value, move, store and sell FF 48-50 than to sell 100's of oddball fanzines, magazines. books and toys.  On the other hand, I like weird and old comic related stuff and I like selling stuff nobody else has, if someone likes it he probably won't find it at another seller's booth or for a lot of this stuff, he won't ever see it again.

Paid more than the value of the obvious stuff but our guts told us there was a lot of unknown stuff that would have value.  Took part of it to the Calgary Expo and had a feeding frenzy and broke even by the end of that show.

any marvel ephemera will move fast if you put the words 'marvel ephemera' in the listing.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

And I have to say, I love the collection you've bought.  Seller obviously likes you and relationships go a long way in this business.

yep honesty gets return business and word of mouth.  Give someone $5 for a high dollar book and word gets out and people avoid you like the plaque.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

True, if only we sold online lol 

:pullhair:

2 hours ago, kav said:

People have been known to slip $100 dollar bills in playboys-collection could be chock full of em!

The little kernels of knowledge I find here on the boards never end.  I love your explanation for why.

Edited by gadzukes

On 7/4/2019 at 5:29 PM, thehumantorch said:

And I have to say, I love the collection you've bought.  Seller obviously likes you and relationships go a long way in this business.

Totally true re: relationships.  Sold 75% of my slabs a few months ago, and it was as smooth an experience as could be.  Might've been a nightmare with someone else.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, gadzukes said:

The 123 has a spine curl, but once it's pressed out should be about a 4.5

a2.jpg

This Flash 123 is one of the 1st comics coming back from CGC from this collection (I still haven't bought the entire collection yet.... I've got about 5 more long boxes to go)

I pressed this Flash 123 and as stated above, I thought it would get a 4.5.

However, It's coming back as a 5.5 Blue Label :headbang:

I think that bodes well for many of the other comics in this collection.

nice you must be happy about the books coming back from CGC better than expected. Congrats again on the haul.

wow nice congrats on the great finds. 

When will the selling forum arrive so I can save some money up for it lol 

21 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Wow!

It is the comic guy's dream come true.

I assume from the way you are telling the story that you did not know the TOS 39 was in the box?

No.  Nothing was labeled.  Comics were in groupings, but there was no rhyme or reason to anything.  Nothing was bagged and boarded either (in these last boxes), so I thought it was all going to be carp.

I'm pretty happy that the conditions of the comics stayed pretty nice for not being bagged and boarded.  Although, I see that some have a hint of rust on the staples.

Edited by gadzukes

So..... he told me he has his dad's Playboy collection too, including 2 copies of number 1.  He said they're all stacked in apple crates.  I really have no interest in Playboys but it seems like something I should pick up.  I told him to bring them out of storage and I'll pick them up.  I'm hoping he finds some more long boxes of comics hidden somewhere.