• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your mom's reaction to your collection

43 posts in this topic

I was eating dinner recently with my family when a "Dark Phoenix" movie commercial comes on....

My dad goes, "oh, not another one, not again!"

My reply was, "What about it?"

he replies, "I'm so tired of, See me move this with my 'power', what 'BullScript'.... C'mon!?!?!"

I replied, "The story was good in the comics, if only they'd get back to a 'story' these movies would be good!" "That's what comics are all about!"

He said, "I already went through this once, when you were a kid, the cartoon was good!" "but now a days it is just 'see me move this, feel the power', this 'BullScript' Gets OLD!"

My mom was always supportive of my collection. The only negative comment I heard was when I bought Vampirella #52 to give it a try. When she saw the cover she said "That's disgusting!" I didn't care much for the stories and never bought another copy.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was eating dinner recently with my family when a "Dark Phoenix" movie commercial comes on....

My dad goes, "oh, not another one, not again!"

My reply was, "What about it?"

he replies, "I'm so tired of, See me move this with my 'power', what 'BullScript'.... C'mon!?!?!"

I replied, "The story was good in the comics, if only they'd get back to a 'story' these movies would be good!" "That's what comics are all about!"

He said, "I already went through this once, when you were a kid, the cartoon was good!" "but now a days it is just 'see me move this, feel the power', this 'BullScript' Gets OLD!"

Interesting.

I saw a movie with a friend and his dad in the late 70s. A trailer for Dracula came on with Frank Whatever-His-Last-Name-Is. My friend's dad said, "Can't they come up with anything new?"

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Interesting.

I saw a movie with a friend and his dad in the late 70s. A trailer for Dracula came on with Frank Whatever-His-Last-Name-Is. My friend's dad said, "Can't they come up with anything new?"

I hear you lol It might be a "different story" and since we have the comics, we can tell a difference, but to the outsider looking at previews it seems the same old thing, which is exhausting .....

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

My mom was always supportive of my collection. The only negative comment I heard was when I bought Vampirella #52 to give it a try. When she saw the cover she said "That's disgusting!" I didn't care much for the stories and never bought another copy.

I looked up the cover of that issue. Interesting she would use the word disgusting. You know about that whole thing with the young teenage girl (Hedi?) who dressed up like that character at cons in the 70s. Talk about a fascinating story. Forry made a book about her. Older men gaggled at her. Which reminds me, if you live(d) in Los Angeles getting into Forry's "Ackermansion" was easy. You just had to ask. He was very nice about it, showing off his collection (wonder where it ended up?). I went several times and the first time I went Forry got real close to me and kinda leered at me and said, "Now how come I've never seen you here before." It was kinda odd. Didn't know what to think. 

41 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

That's a great cover!

If my Mom had said that to me , I probably would have picked up Vampi every month!

My parents were supportive enough & didn't throw anything out,but by no means were they interested in what I was doing & if I stopped(Which I did for about 15 years!) they would not have even asked me why!!!

900 Posts!!! Woo Hoo!

Edited by comics4all

Back to mom's lol 

I remember being a teenager and Mary Jane came on by Tom Petty on the radio...

My Mom changed it as we were in the car, I said ahh, she goes "oh be quiet, you just want to hear, 'dancin in her underwear!"

lol I chuckled

My dad has always been a science fiction fan -- or at least a reader, if not so much the movies. He used to subscribe to several Sci Fi digests. I don't recall my mom ever being against anything comics related. She was always an avid reader of books so she probably just felt they were good to read.

Then again-- none of the comics back then (mid 1970s) were too crazy with the adult themed covers of oversized tatas-- save maybe the covers of the magazines like Dracula and Savage Tales. Not that it mattered -- my dad also had an extensive Playboy collection under the sink in the bathroom.

4 hours ago, Pontoon said:

My mom didn't say very much about Vampirella, but I know she didn't like the fact that her 10 year old son was buying magazines with scantily clad women on the covers. I remember her saying one time that she didn't understand why boys like things like that. Wow...if I have to explain it, that's pretty sad...  (shrug)

My mom called the cops on my LCS for selling me something with boobs.  I think it was Void Indigo.  Needless to say I didn't have a good relationship with them afterward.  

7 hours ago, jason4 said:

My mom likes that I was spending money on comics and not drugs or booze partying. Stayed out of trouble and have a nice investment instead of bad memories. 

I spent money on booze, drugs, partying AND comics back in my misbegotten youth. My mom never knew anything about it. I had a job and side work. I turned out OK and have lots of great memories (I think). :roflmao:

When I was a kid growing up in the 1960's, my mom was usually pretty supportive of my comic book habit but my dad didn't understand it and was sometimes critical of it, but they both made it a point to take me to one or two places I wanted to go on Friday nights to find and buy up to $1.00 in comic books.