• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your mom's reaction to your collection

43 posts in this topic

My mom used to use any comic I left out in the 70's as a drink coaster. 

Later, when she was looking through my Gerber GA book, looking at all the GA Captain America covers, she said ,'I had all those.'

She graduated from HS in 1944.

:sorry: 

My allowance  when I was eight years old in the mid-1970s was 25 cents a week. When I raced home one Friday and asked my (single) mother for a nickel raise she told me I had better have a good reason - I explained to her that I'd gone to buy a comic and when I'd handed the owner of the corner store my quarter he'd shook his head and pointed at the cover - they were now 30 cents! Without an increase in allowance, I wouldn't be able to buy any more new issues for my budding comic collection. She immediately gave in.

Thanks Mom!

My mom was fine with me reading comics. She would usually buy me a few when I asked. She didn’t pay much attention to what they were. My parents however, didn’t like MAD Magazine. They thought it was too adult and subversive. I had to hide them up in the tree house. My uncle gave me about a dozen of his ECs. She saw me reading one of the horror ones, took a look at it and tore it up. Said it would give me nightmares. Other than that she was cool.

It didn’t stop her from throwing my whole collection in the trash after I moved out. Just figured I had out grown them and wanted to clean up the closet...:sorry:

My dad took me to my first comic book con and when we would go to used bookstores and I wanted a comic, I'd usually get it so yeah my parents were supportive. My wife, not so much lol 

Edited by Jeffro.

8 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

My allowance  when I was eight years old in the mid-1970s was 25 cents a week. When I raced home one Friday and asked my (single) mother for a nickel raise she told me I had better have a good reason - I explained to her that I'd gone to buy a comic and when I'd handed the owner of the corner store my quarter he'd shook his head and pointed at the cover - they were now 30 cents! Without an increase in allowance, I wouldn't be able to buy any more new issues for my budding comic collection. She immediately gave in.

Thanks Mom!

I never got an allowance. :(

In fact, my mom tried to get me to mow the lawn for free...

13 hours ago, buttock said:

My mom called the cops on my LCS for selling me something with boobs.  I think it was Void Indigo.  Needless to say I didn't have a good relationship with them afterward.  

This kinda thing must happen all the time @  LCS' especially with the covers they have today which are more scandalous then the old books

9 minutes ago, comics4all said:

This kinda thing must happen all the time @  LCS' especially with the covers they have today which are more scandalous then the old books

I just don't get it.

I have a friend on social media who's seemingly obsessed with Harley Quinn adult imagery.

I just don't get why you'd want to pervert cartoon characters. I guess it's getting wires crossed.

my mom was cool with my collection..... I would place a Superman or Batman or X-men or something else on top, then on the bottom of the pile was my more (ahem) "interesting" issues.....:shy::x

now my wife...on the other hand.... I got about 8 long boxes... all in the basement, under lock-&-key.

When me and my wife fight, she would always bring up my collection and complains about them. At one point, she commented that "she'll burn/sell/throw away all of them". She never did, I figured it was just in the heat of the moment statements.... BUT just-in case, thus the lock..... :devil:

7 hours ago, wombat said:

My mom sold all of my conan comics at a garage sale when I was about 12 without asking me. So I have that going for me. 

That is horrible! Sorry to hear that! Well at least she didn't throw out Af 15 ASM 1 etc

My mom has always supported my comic book collecting. I was very literate at a young age thanks to comics, and very artistically talented. She was an artist too so that was something we shared. She never tried to get me to sell them or throw them away, never tried to make me give up the hobby for something else. I buy her comics too. She just read The Goddamned. I give her my spare Warrens and she loves Mad Magazine

My mom helped me buy a complete run (at the time) of Spawn, on eBay. 1-72. eBay was a much smaller place back in 98. I actually just rediscovered that I still own these exact copies whilst cleaning the garage. Serendipity!

so yeah she was, and still is supportive. Even now she will let me know when she comes across comics for sale, asking if I want her to make an offer for me.

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

My mom helped me buy a complete run (at the time) of Spawn, on eBay. 1-72. eBay was a much smaller place back in 98. I actually just rediscovered that I still own these exact copies whilst cleaning the garage. Serendipity!

so yeah she was, and still is supportive. Even now she will let me know when she comes across comics for sale, asking if I want her to make an offer for me.

My mom will text me if she sees them at a yard sale or thrift shop too

I never had comics hardly at all until I got into old records and books stuff when when I was about 12 and discovered old comics laying around antique shops. My mother was pretty indifferent about it, but she would drive me to antique shops and around to garage sales and stuff when I asked. The funniest thing is when I talked about needing bags for my comics once, I never have called them sleeves, and my mother one time bought me a box of the huge ziplock baggies thinking that's what I meant lol  But they worked, I used those for years. My grandmother found out I was into old comics and she knew people that owned a bunch of antique shops and told them to put aside any old comics they got in. Almost every time I went to her house she had a stack of old 40s, 50s and 60s comics there for me. Those were the days.

My folks were reasonably supportive, though not explicitly encouraging. I would get comic history books and hardback collections of newspaper strips as birthday/Christmas presents, and my Dad would drop me off and pick me up at conventions. The only time I got any grief was when in High School for leaving some graphic underground comix out where my elementary school age brother could find them. 

My mom was very supportive of my comic addiction.

The only thing she never helped or knew I started was my small playboy collection. Except that one I bought in front of her that had the walking dead comic story in it.

Taught her how to handle comic books, and she learned a lot and knows that funny books ain't just what they use to be. 

Last crazy thing she helped me do was hunt down a copy of batman damned #1 within four days of being released and learning the news. Hehe travelled very far. 

Edited by Silvers24