• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your mom's reaction to your collection

43 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, catman76 said:

I never had comics hardly at all until I got into old records and books stuff when when I was about 12 and discovered old comics laying around antique shops. My mother was pretty indifferent about it, but she would drive me to antique shops and around to garage sales and stuff when I asked. The funniest thing is when I talked about needing bags for my comics once, I never have called them sleeves, and my mother one time bought me a box of the huge ziplock baggies thinking that's what I meant lol  But they worked, I used those for years. My grandmother found out I was into old comics and she knew people that owned a bunch of antique shops and told them to put aside any old comics they got in. Almost every time I went to her house she had a stack of old 40s, 50s and 60s comics there for me. Those were the days.

This triggered a memory for me-- as my mom was really into going to garage sales. We lived in the south suburbs of Chicago and about once a month, she would take me with her. Every now and then I would find some comics worth buying. It is kind of a happy childhood memory but also a sad one for me -- because she continued going to garage sales throughout her life and was doing so (accompanied by my grandmother) on the day she died-- leaving a garage sale and getting killed in a car wreck not even a mile from my folks house in Tampa. I was only 27 at the time. It was pretty rough - miss her all the time.

Edited by 01TheDude

When it came to supporting my hobbies or interests, my parents where sh-t.  I remember my dad getting mad at me for some petting reason and grabbing a pile of my books and throwing them across the room.  Once I had my best books displayed on the floor and my mom walked back.  She was indifferent and instead of walking around the books, she stepped on them as she went by.  Seriously, my parents were never great.  My dad passed away years ago and I honestly don't miss him.  The bad memories outweigh the good.  Not on good  talking terms with my Mom either.  No, their attitudes towards my hobbies were not the cause of our rift, but it didn't help either. 

Wow, this thread has triggered some memories.

In the 80's, my allowance was $2 in food stamps a week. Comics were .60 cents. There was a lot of hemming and hawing on what penny candies to buy so I can get the change to purchase a comic. It was usually a pack of Now and Later's since they were .15 cents.

I lived in a few households growing up. My mother encouraged the comic books but when I lived with my Grandfather, he thought they were trash and insisted that I read authors like Jack London and Mark Twain. The classics. I remember buying newspapers to hid my comics in. I did this with ASM #252. lol

I appreciated both approaches.