• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Commission From Your Personal Collection
6 6

93 posts in this topic

Let's see everyone's favorite commission that they own with a few words about why it is your favorite.

Mine is this Marvel Girl/Nightcrawler piece by John Byrne. I had 4 of these Old/New X-Men team up pieces done and this is my favorite one. My favorite things about it are the smoke and Jean's hands and the lighting on Kurt's leg and face.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=891525

Jean.Kurt.jpg_600.jpg

I only have four commissions but this was tough. Went back and forth between this one and one by Frank Miller. I went with this because it’s come a long way since 2010. Dave Sim did this commission for someone else. At some point he used it as a print called Marital Bliss for one of his Kickstarter projects. I bought it last year but thought it looked unfinished so I commissioned the logical choice and honestly the only choice. Gerhard originally did not want to paint over Dave’s original. He didn’t want to make a mistake and there were some rough areas on the original like old tone that was peeling. I was all for it though and eventually he went for it. He removed the tone from Cerebus and added subtle additional inked background detail along with a beautiful “frame”. Then he painted over it.

I really enjoyed talking with him and following the process and that propels this above my other commissions in which I had very little to no interaction with the artists. 

F652C7AA-935D-4338-9088-FE04D1717FF7.jpeg

9D3867DA-EAC1-4A4D-B724-8441398D6956.jpeg

1C95CFC3-2899-479A-A410-E03974A9C740.jpeg

I have 98 commissions! I'm going to eliminate my real favorite (Superman by Curt Swan) because I bought it in the after market.

I think the one that makes me smile the most is a toss-up. It's either my L'il Legion by Yale Stewart or Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy Bastian

I'm going to go with the former, but it's a tight race. Click to embiggen.

dGSXrLzo_090218203618lola.jpg

During the 1990s I had British artist Ron Turner create for me a DALEKS painting (the chief baddies from the DR WHO TV series).  Turner had illustrated the Daleks comic-strip that ran in the UK publication TV21 during the latter-half of the 1960s.  It was a fully-painted strip and Turner had a good eye for colour.  For my commission, I provided the artist with my own  pencilled preliminary drawing of what I wanted and Turner stayed faithful to my idea:

Daleks.jpg

30 minutes ago, The Voord said:

During the 1990s I had British artist Ron Turner create for me a DALEKS painting (the chief baddies from the DR WHO TV series).  Turner had illustrated the Daleks comic-strip that ran in the UK publication TV21 during the latter-half of the 1960s.  It was a fully-painted strip and Turner had a good eye for colour.  For my commission, I provided the artist with my own  pencilled preliminary drawing of what I wanted and Turner stayed faithful to my idea:

Daleks.jpg

For those interested, here's an original 1960s Ron Turner Daleks strip from the UK's TV21 magazine that I own.  The original artwork is fully-painted, as British printers were geared-up to reproduce directly from painted originals:

x17u59Eo_020319042642lola.jpg

12 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I have 98 commissions! I'm going to eliminate my real favorite (Superman by Curt Swan) because I bought it in the after market.

I think the one that makes me smile the most is a toss-up. It's either my L'il Legion by Yale Stewart or Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy Bastian

I'm going to go with the former, but it's a tight race. Click to embiggen.

dGSXrLzo_090218203618lola.jpg

I am huge LSH mark and that is badass.