• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Commission From Your Personal Collection
6 6

93 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

oh, I thought you were a serious collector.  Guess I was wrong :foryou:

:jokealert:

I'm a collector alright, just not a great investor! I figure I lose 50% on the dollar on commissions if I had to resell.

OTOH, what else could I do? I had wanted to collect Preacher pages, but someone bought them all. I hear he's a hoarder!

Edited by alxjhnsn

2 hours ago, kbmcvay said:

I am huge LSH mark and that is badass.

Thanks. It makes me smile every time I see it which is pretty much every day that I'm at home since it's framed and on the wall.

Did you read the Description? Yale even bought some Legion Archives to learn more and build on what I sent him. I made him a Legion fan. :)

This one is easy.

In 1996, Gene Colan advertised in the back of the CBG that he would do commissions for $250.  I sent him and Adrienne a copy of an old magic poster that I liked and hoped to one day use as the cover of a novel, if I ever finished writing it. I told him to put Howard the Duck in the place of the magician who was on the poster.  Not only was it perfect (the expression on the Devil's face is so different than on the poster, and yet excellent in context), it started a decade-long series of commisions and a friendship that I very much miss.  I had Steve Leialoha ink it a couple of years later, and Steve captured what was special about Gene's pencils. 

colan howard devil.jpg

3 - carter.jpg

With 98 successful commissions, I thought I'd share my secret. I'm an amazing art director. Look at this art direction and click the link, you will be impressed with my abilities.

Here are some examples:

Yep, it's clearly the art direction (or, maybe, it's luck and choosing the right artists). Nope, it's my art direction. :)

28 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

With 98 successful commissions, I thought I'd share my secret. I'm an amazing art director. Look at this art direction and click the link, you will be impressed with my abilities.

Here are some examples:

Yep, it's clearly the art direction (or, maybe, it's luck and choosing the right artists). Nope, it's my art direction. :)

Give the artists a little credit. B|

Here is my other favorite commission, AXA The Byte, not just because of it being unique but the collaboration it offered withe the artist. Most commissions are single images and thats true with my collection. I wanted something different, a sequential commission from Enric Romero featuring AXA.

I first discovered Romero's AXA, a british newspaper strip, back in the 80s when First American Edition Series reprinted the series for the american audience, then later Eclipse came out with 2 AXA comics by Romero. 

I thought it would be cool for Romero draw a short sequence made up of five strips featuring AXA and Mark X. The idea started with the last few panels which was inspired by an early Macintosh commercial Apple produced. From there the idea grew to include AXA discovering Apple Campus (where I had worked), but in the future 2080 when the strip took place. Romero used reference pics of Apple Campus and fleshed out the scene, starting with her waking up in a single panel strip to her discovering the Apple Company Store (1st Apple Store). Left it up to Romero to come up with the action scene linking the first panel to the Apple Store. The Pterodactyl attack was influenced by a story arc which appeared in the published strip.
One of the most complicated projects I had commissioned. A dream project, Romero was great to work with. 

AXA_AppleCampus_Commission_p1-5_-1.thumb.jpg.e6a7392d80ee03d885fd58e6619a0e5b.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

On 5/23/2019 at 3:44 PM, Oddball said:

I only have four commissions but this was tough. Went back and forth between this one and one by Frank Miller. I went with this because it’s come a long way since 2010. Dave Sim did this commission for someone else. At some point he used it as a print called Marital Bliss for one of his Kickstarter projects. I bought it last year but thought it looked unfinished so I commissioned the logical choice and honestly the only choice. Gerhard originally did not want to paint over Dave’s original. He didn’t want to make a mistake and there were some rough areas on the original like old tone that was peeling. I was all for it though and eventually he went for it. He removed the tone from Cerebus and added subtle additional inked background detail along with a beautiful “frame”. Then he painted over it.

I really enjoyed talking with him and following the process and that propels this above my other commissions in which I had very little to no interaction with the artists. 

F652C7AA-935D-4338-9088-FE04D1717FF7.jpeg

9D3867DA-EAC1-4A4D-B724-8441398D6956.jpeg

1C95CFC3-2899-479A-A410-E03974A9C740.jpeg

:luhv::luhv::luhv::luhv::luhv::luhv:

This was a tough one for me, but mine is a tie I think because of the experience of the first - Jim gave my wife this Batman sketch during his spotlight panel for me for our 10th Anniversary - he finger painted a bunch of it.  But my favorite overall commission piece is this Superman by Scott Williams and colored by Alex Sinclair

Jim Lee Batman Sketch Cropped.jpg

Williams Sinclair Superman and Lois.jpeg

Edited by Thawk