• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Commission From Your Personal Collection
6 6

93 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2019 at 9:38 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

I have a lot of Batman/Spectre themed commissions (just got one from Paul Pope yesterday...WOW) but this one from Mike Grell is unique. From one of the Starbucks mugs that you can bake the ink to seal it permanently into the mug.  --Bob

Coffee Mug 2015 - Mike Grell Comic Art

Sideshow... that coffee mug is freaking amazing! Does Starbucks still sell those? I'd very much like to steal this fantastic idea from you :headbang:

My one and only commission so far, at least that I have in hand (was able to get on Skottie Young's list which I'm super stoked over as well)..  I'm sure Ian set my bar for future commissions too high, but damn is it a nice piece. If you're not familiar with Ian Bertram's work. Do yourself a favor and check out his latest book Little Bird, and his commissions on Felix Comic Art. I'm really, really happy with both Ian's effort on this piece, and (as always!) with Felix's handling of the representation on Ian's behalf. 

Just got her back the other week from my framer, Linda, And i couldn't be happier! I love seeing her every day :x:x:x

Ian B. Commission.jpg

44 minutes ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Sideshow... that coffee mug is freaking amazing! Does Starbucks still sell those? I'd very much like to steal this fantastic idea from you :headbang:

Available on ebay from a couple years ago, as I don't see them selling at Starbucks any more. They need a special glazing pen, and then have to get baked in an over to fire the porcelain glaze into something permanent (mostly). I did it once at NYCC with five different artists, and carefully brought it home to "fire" it, with just a little smudging as a result of my poor handling. The Grell one, which Mike did at home, turned out much better. I don't use the dishwasher though... Good luck!

On 5/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, glendgold said:

This one is easy.

In 1996, Gene Colan advertised in the back of the CBG that he would do commissions for $250.  I sent him and Adrienne a copy of an old magic poster that I liked and hoped to one day use as the cover of a novel, if I ever finished writing it. I told him to put Howard the Duck in the place of the magician who was on the poster.  Not only was it perfect (the expression on the Devil's face is so different than on the poster, and yet excellent in context), it started a decade-long series of commisions and a friendship that I very much miss.  I had Steve Leialoha ink it a couple of years later, and Steve captured what was special about Gene's pencils. 

colan howard devil.jpg

3 - carter.jpg

Did Kirby ever do any commissions for you?

19 minutes ago, kav said:

Did Kirby ever do any commissions for you?

I wish! That's the time machine game I play with myself.  I only met him in 1993, long after his commission time was done.  In my dreams, I meet him in 1970, when I'm six years old and yet precocious enough to say "Yeah, now do the X-Men versus the New Gods." 

Still my favorite after all these years (1980), certainly not my most expensive or intricate: Byrne on pencils, Rubinstein on inks. This thing is huge. I think it's bigger than a twice up.

JByrneJRubenstein_1981.thumb.jpg.99f61fcec109629d4744aae5181033f6.jpg

This one I hadn't initially appreciated since it has more of a Dr. Strange vibe to it than a Phantom Stranger vibe, but it is terrific:

RNebres2016.thumb.jpg.8ef1462cf19679da1ffc1518fe9c9136.jpg

Glad to see that Rudy Nebres commission! It is an excellent piece.

On a personal note, I got news today from Albert Moy that my request for Clea from Bruce Timm won't be happening. What a bummer! No details provided but I guess Bruce just didn't like the character requested which is a shame as I loved the one he did a while back and have been itching to get one of my own for a loooong time. I hit refresh for over an hour the night the commissions were opened but it just isn't meant to be I guess.

toth-zatanna.jpg.7f66a0472627f74302e83756f5db9d0d.jpg

I never got to meet the silver age greats who's art I admired growing up but I did have the good fortune to be able to connect with Alex Toth before he passed. At the time I was collecting Zatanna sketches and he did this one for me. I've gotten a lot of sketches and commissions over the years of varying quality but this one is special to me.

My most cherished piece is 1985 Black Spiderman by Charles Vess. The McFarlane looking piece was done by Jamie Biggs and it’s pound for pound one of the best drawings I  got for the money . It’s 15 x 20” piece loaded with detail.I’m also very lucky to have Gab Dell’Otto black Spidey and a stunner by Jae Lee

D711ECBE-4F9C-4B8C-ADB4-B0A95CE957CC.jpeg

9921CEF8-71FA-4AA4-8187-0308874D9445.jpeg

540E14A7-F5CB-4149-8559-516AEF011351.jpeg

E864EA18-A7E6-466A-ACE6-AABD94FE5389.jpeg