• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Commission From Your Personal Collection
6 6

93 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

My most cherished piece is 1985 Black Spiderman by Charles Vess. The McFarlane looking piece was done by Jamie Biggs and it’s pound for pound one of the best drawings I  got for the money . It’s 15 x 20” piece loaded with detail.I’m also very lucky to have Gab Dell’Otto black Spidey and a stunner by Jae Lee

D711ECBE-4F9C-4B8C-ADB4-B0A95CE957CC.jpeg

9921CEF8-71FA-4AA4-8187-0308874D9445.jpeg

540E14A7-F5CB-4149-8559-516AEF011351.jpeg

E864EA18-A7E6-466A-ACE6-AABD94FE5389.jpeg

You got it buddy! When opportunity presented itself you kicked down the door. Charles Vess black and white Spider-Man with grace. You can pose this one four different ways and it gives you goosebumps.

grapeape 

Here is my only personal commission I've kept since 1977.

Shary Flenniken Trots and Bonnie and I in my Art Gallery.

Shary was a friend from the mid 70s till the late 70s when I moved from NYC. She would come to our apartment and hang once in a while. She was a lot of fun. Haven't spoken with her in decades and I don't know if my ex-girlfriend at that time keeps in touch with her.

But I think it's cool. Too bad I don't look like that guy in the picture anymore.

Flenniken.jpg

Savage Land Rogue by Enric 27x40 Oil. I never really got into the Warren stuff, but I love what Enric does with Oils and figured Savage Land Rogue would be in his wheel house from what I had seen on his Vampy and Tarzan works. Was fairly excited to receive the resultsand I am still very happy with this piece to this day.

enric_savage_land_rogue_final.jpg

Let's suppose you're an artist. And further, you're overdue on a commission and you've searched the entire house up and down for a piece of paper or artboard or, well, anything, really, to finish this commission and you turn up empty handed. No paper. No cardboard. No bristol. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Then, as you're in the kitchen, you get an idea. Perhaps you hadn't thought of it before because you never ran across a situation where you had absolutely no paper in the house.

But then you think to yourself and say, hey, wax paper is a type of paper! Why don't I just use this? And if your name happens to be Bill Sienkiewicz, you create magic with it :)

Elektra%20sexy_dib.jpg

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Jeff Jones "Island Girl" took 7 years to obtain, but only because Jeff was going through her transformation.  The painting measured 22x30.

I no longer own this piece (nor the Sienk that I posted previously) as my focus shifted towards published pieces.

jjonesislandgirl.jpg

Did not know this was originally "your" commission. Cool.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Did not know this was originally "your" commission. Cool.

Yes, it was a pleasure corresponding with Jeff about the concept, hair colour, etc.  And I loved watching Jeff’s site when he live-streamed the pairings he was working on.

i think I have the prelim I’ll for it somewhere, and I’ll post it here if I find it.

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Let's suppose you're an artist. And further, you're overdue on a commission and you've searched the entire house up and down for a piece of paper or artboard or, well, anything, really, to finish this commission and you turn up empty handed. No paper. No cardboard. No bristol. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Then, as you're in the kitchen, you get an idea. Perhaps you hadn't thought of it before because you never ran across a situation where you had absolutely no paper in the house.

But then you think to yourself and say, hey, wax paper is a type of paper! Why don't I just use this? And if your name happens to be Bill Sienkiewicz, you create magic with it :)

Elektra%20sexy_dib.jpg

I was talking to his rep at NYCC, and he was joking about the crazy stuff Bill has sent him. I think his Godzilla cover painting he said was on a random cardboard box. 

Mike Mckone penciled this for my Collecting Comic Art Panel I did for a many years ago at San Diego Comic-Con. I only instructions was to have superheroe on the panel and in the audience. I chose the ones on stage, Jean Grey, Thing, Superman, Spider-Man and Starfire. It was up to Mike to decide who was in the audience, I had a hard time figuring out a few of them back then and even now. Andy Lanning who was inking Mike at the time then inked it. Yes, the partial inking is a choice, I wanted the area where the spotlight to be inked but the rest left as pencils.

I have labeled all the characters but had a bit of an issue remembering them all, McKone helped out but even he forgot who the center figure is in the audience. Anyone want to guess?

McKone's pencils:

comicartpanel1.thumb.jpg.04eb76e4a21d93d0e16d1ae22c3646f8.jpg

Mckone's pencils and Lannings inks

ccapanel_final.thumb.jpg.99634bd55ec7f10f8cc389073d2d84cb.jpg

Score card..... who is ???

comicartpanel1_who.thumb.jpg.ced3fd520b1d22e7a629e4c542bfc89f.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

10 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

I think his Godzilla cover painting he said was on a random cardboard box.

Pizza box art is an age-old tradition among artists that get together on Friday nights for pizza and...beer ;)

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I think it'd have to be this one. It's probably a headscratcher for many folks that aren't familiar with Phil Hale's work, but it is one of the gems of my home.
It's certainly hard to miss in the "library".

5pONSvb1_2410190416321sbpi.jpg

412021120.jpg

Great Hales! Didn't know the dipt was a commission, assumed published or "for Phil's enjoyment". Care to share how long you had to wait from beginning to end?

Um...library?

Mine...there is no hangspace...all books -floor to ceiling :)

Hahahaha. That's why the word library was in quotes. Essentially it's a spare room in the house that only has comics and art books in it, though it's more packed with books now than back when I took the photos. In fact it's become a catchall, for leaning pieces of art against bookshelves that I need to get around to hanging. Not something I'm proud of. I actually have art books everywhere all over the house, but this room is generally more focused. And my turntable is in here too. So music, and a sit down and read, or play a little guitar. Look at the 6ft square painting. Whatever.

409791352.jpg

Phil doesn't normally doesn't do any Johnny Badhair art on commission. Or really much of ANY commission work, with the exception of portraiture, which he will occasionally do.
So, commissions of non-portraiture really don't happen. It's a long story how we got to here, but in essence it was still "artist's choice". It was to be a Badhair painting. He painted it specifically for me as "a commission."
He did what he wanted, but he also knows me pretty well at this point. I still paid a lot of money. It turned out to be worth every penny. It has since been published, and will be again pretty soon I believe.

Took about 2 years, maybe a smidge more from when we first talked about it, and money was sent, until delivery. Without getting too far into Phil's process (which is incomprehensible to many folks) a quick breakdown is the first several months were spread out with photo shoot for references, prep drawings, and studies. The final painting wasn't very long in progress, by the time he got to that stage, but a ton of work goes in before the final is painted. And then at least 4-6 months of that at the end was dry time, building and shipping a huge crate that went from London to the east coast in about 4 days.

For the curious, I want to say the shipping bill was something like $1700 US, with a freight delivery. Certainly the most expensive shipping bill I've personally paid for a single piece of art.
Which is funny, because my other 6ft square Hale piece was a larger crate, but cheaper to ship. Ah, the impacts of fluctuating currency exchange rates...

2 years, not bad at all. I've paid big money twice for freight carriage (somewhat specific to fine art handling too, not just big dudes that can toss big crates around ;) ) on pieces approximately as large as your Badhair. One bill was around $600. Thought that was bad. From TX to MA. Then a decade later, $1000 (and it was split with the artist, so really $2k) from CA to NH. Big is nice but you do pay for it every which way.

But then...you have the art :) and it doesn't really matter anymore, does it?