• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you open a slabbed comic ?

10 posts in this topic

I've opened a few slabs. Use a screwdriver to carefully pry them open from the side, taking care not to grind the book while you do. Usually easiest to work each side from the top down, cracking it on both sides. Eventually it'll be possible to pull the book and holder out, at which point you can VERY CAREFULLY cut it out with scissors or if you don't trust yourself, with a safety blade and a flat edge ruler.

45 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

I've opened a few slabs. Use a screwdriver to carefully pry them open from the side, taking care not to grind the book while you do. Usually easiest to work each side from the top down, cracking it on both sides. Eventually it'll be possible to pull the book and holder out, at which point you can VERY CAREFULLY cut it out with scissors or if you don't trust yourself, with a safety blade and a flat edge ruler.

The one slab I have cracked thus far this was by far the worst part of the whole process.  Still have nightmares.

The many iterations of the older slabs are easy to open.  The front and back of the slab aren't sealed together at the sides.  Use both hands to pry an opening in either the right or left side, then pull the slab apart with your two hands.  As others have mentioned, carefully cut open the inner well just above the top edges of the comic, then remove the book.

The newest slab iteration is much, much tougher, from what I understand, and is what the posts above are referring to.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

The one slab I have cracked thus far this was by far the worst part of the whole process.  Still have nightmares.

One time I had my girlfriend, who is a seamstress and is used to make very precise, measured cuts with no margin for error do one for me. I was too nervous and the book cost too much. 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the info. Those new cases are tough, man...

Yeah, I found that video pretty helpful and the rest is just trial and error. Getting the right screwdriver makes a big difference. Long and skinny is the way to go. After that, clipping the inner well is the real scary part.

13 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, I found that video pretty helpful and the rest is just trial and error. Getting the right screwdriver makes a big difference. Long and skinny is the way to go. After that, clipping the inner well is the real scary part.

:fear: