• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why 'Powersellers'?

13 posts in this topic

Will someone tell me why they became Ebay Powersellers? I don't mean to seem strange, but Ebay keep informing me of my eligibility. As far as I see it, other than the cute little logo which appears aside your user ID, it offers a seller more negatives than advantages: It immediately tells the taxman that you have at least a $2000 a month 'hobby'; it informs anyone who might speculate on what they perceive a bargain that you probably know what you are doing; it screams 'used car salesman of the month', and to me just looks like another form of chest-pounding - The feedback is surely the integrity gauge for most Ebayers, as I have seen quite a few 'Powersellers' with the type of feedback that only Ebay themselves would deem acceptable - So take away that, and why join?

I realize that some clever person at Ebay realized that many people would perceive it a status symbol, and would therefore increase listings (and their commission) - Thus the rules of maintaining a certain sales record with few gaps - I would imagine that the number of 'Powersellers' greatly increases Ebay's worth (a sure-fire commission on at least $2000 a month from each) - quite a financial piece of goodwill -

Please don't tell me because Ebay answer your concerns and questions more rapidly - 1300 feedback and I haven't asked them a single question....Someone tell me why?

You save on fees every month although it is only 1% and supposedly they answer your questions faster. You also get a discount off of the monthly fees if Square trade if you decide to sign up (no point in my opinion). I just joined so I don't know all of the benefits yet tongue.gif

Hey Rickdogg we powerselers don't get 1% off our e-bay bill. Unless you sign up for e-bay payments ( billpoint ) I chose to have PayPal pay my e-bay bill using my PayPal debit card and get 1.5% off my bill grin.gif The new logo is not in the least bit professional looking. The main benefit I see is access to the Powersellers Disscussion Board. The e-mail support was good, before non-powersellers started spamming the e-mail address so now we have to go throught a webform for inquiries.

Lastly they have lowered the Bar for powersellers as a person selling $1,000.00 a month ( it used to be $2,000.00 ) can now be a Bronze Level Powerseller. They will also be doing away with insertions of the logo in my auctions. They say too many non-powersellers are using the logo that they will have to do away with it. They will auto-insert the logo but as always e-bay does not have a set date in which they will begin auto-insertion.

Titanium - $150,000.00 a month. Who the hell can achieve this level lol. Even if the huge corporations could do this their feedback would be horrible do to a lack of customer service.

Positive Feedback Ratio 94.5%

Look at sears OMG lol

... it offers a seller more negatives than advantages: It immediately tells the taxman that you have at least a $2000 a month 'hobby';

If you are selling at $2000/month, is there any legitimate reason why you would not disclose this information to the "taxman"? If so, I have a few IRS special agents friends I'd like you to meet. mad.gif Besides, you do not lose your powerseller status if you fail to meet the $1000 minimum...I've failed to meet it several months in a row this spring/summer - maybe I'm not a powerseller anymore..oh well...it's free and it's there, was my take on it. I've used it to get immediate contact regarding possible problems with my auction logos and links.

it informs anyone who might speculate on what they perceive a bargain that you probably know what you are doing

And this is bad because???

it screams 'used car salesman of the month'

Implying a dishonesty about the Powerseller? How do you get that?

and to me just looks like another form of chest-pounding

Maybe, but isn't the feedback rating another form as well?

The feedback is surely the integrity gauge for most Ebayers, as I have seen quite a few 'Powersellers' with the type of feedback that only Ebay themselves would deem acceptable - So take away that, and why join?

True, some powerseller feedbacks are "atrocious" relative to those who conduct a lower volume of sales. I've dealt with some sellers that did right by me, but have gone renegade afterwards (I notice the NARU next to their ID in my feedback page), but I'd continue to deal with that seller regardless. As long as he doesn't screw me or my associates over.

Why join? Why not? It's free, they offer extra services, some people are more comfortable dealing with powersellers (the good kind) based on the logo and I believe frauds are less likely to mess with your auctions (this is just a guess)

The frickin' taxman gets enough of my money. mad.gif If I choose to sell something I purchased long ago and already paid state, federal, city, etc., taxes on the darn thing I certainly don't feel bad to not pay it again. Especially if sold for a loss.

If I sold products for a living on eBay I would certainly pay my share of taxes to Uncle Sam. Since I sell every blue moon I don't have any guilt holding me down for the few pennies I might owe.

You would have to be nuts to think that the IRS wouldn't be able to force eBay to give them sellers records over a certain dollar amount whether they accepted the Powersellers logo or not. I think it's just a matter of time before this is regulated something similar to the SEC. So make sure you keep your records straight.

As for a Titanium seller with great customer service, I would point you to Bruce Hershenson (emovieposter.com), true he mainly does posters, but he did sell a Marvel #1 this year and occasionally has some comics.

Sean

I'm a powerseller. I file my eBay income on my taxes. The reason to be a powerseller is that you get real customer support, not some form letters, and if you ever get into a match with somebody (I'm in one now) eBay tends to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also, just an FYI. My ex-housemate worked for the IRS. DO NOT think you can hide your eBay income from the tax man. Eventually, they WILL find you, and if you've been under reporting your income, in the immortal words of Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now:

"Bad things, man"

frown.gif

How do you work that Dan? For example, I sold a house awhile back and wasn't required to claim it on my income, nor was I for an old car that I got rid of 2-3 years ago. I know these are somewhat different areas, but the gov't has never been too interested in what used things are sold for by individuals, as long as it doesn't represent a consistent business and makes up a large percentage of your annual income.

Let's say you buy a comic for $100 find out it's a VG and blow it off for $5, do you count that as a $95 loss? How about one you buy for $200 and sell for $250, is that a $50 profit? Do you work depreciation and inflation into the equation regarding books purchased 25 years ago?

I'm being serious here, as I have no idea on how anyone could ever report 100% factual info, especially on comics purchased a long time ago, taking initial price, storage costs, inflation, potential depreciation, interest on credit cards/loans (if applicable) etc. into account.

And let's not even get into the potential headache of running a home-based comics sales shop, which comprises more than 50% of your annual income...

Clearly Canadian and US tax laws are different, but I am selling things bought and purchased during the calendar year on a straight accrual basis, and am a "manufacturer's rep" for people for probably 80-85% of my business.

I also have a VERY patient accountant. And there's a Sunday in January every year where I spend about 15 hours going over every single transaction I did the previous year.

Thanks for your imput - I agree completely with you on tax implications - For longer than I care to admit I have collected comics - The prices I paid for certain comics 25 years ago would seem a pitance now, but relatively probably more than I could afford then. When the internet, and more specifically Ebay came along I initially used Ebay as a vehicle to refine my own collection - Like many many sellers on Ebay, although not officially a comic dealer with a commercial premise, it has developed into a fairly serious venture.

As far as the taxman is concerned - how does one figure my relative capital gain from a comic that I bought 25 years ago? If the taxman really wants to target comics he should park himself at one of the large Comic Convention.

I am not adverse to paying the taxman, but for me selling on Ebay is a bit like having a stall at a flea market or garage - I really feel, regardless that I do qualify as a 'Powerseller' that the larger players have more legitimate holes than myself. I worked for one of the large auction houses for a very long time. This auction House had three or four sales a day that made the upcoming Heritage auction small change' - An 'Important Impressionist' sale might have 50 pictures with a top price of say 30 million dollars, and a medium price of 2 million. The type of individual that buys those avoids State tax by shipping the item out of State to one of their many offices in another - Or even another country -

So to the person who accused me of tax avoidance by not taking up Ebay's offer of 'Powerseller', I just think that the taxman should be more interested in Monet than Superman.