• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pricing and Values?

26 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I don't understand the book values on why so tight and low (to rake more money in?). If I want to slab Xmen 266 or New Mutants 98, both at over $200 in the open market. So by their pricing they would cost me $72 shipped per book! or $58.50 without shipping per book. Everything I'd love to slab is over $400 value.

All I hear is it costs $25.00 per book, NOPE. Slabbing stuff from 2005+ era is the only thing you can really do for the low pricing.

Edited by DR9

Bunching similar tiered books is the way to go to minimize costs.  Low priced moderns will be $20  per book plus a handling fee ,add in shipping both ways and you can see how it eats into the profit.   Only thing is, you need a bunch of similarly tiered books.  If you know someone you could always try and combine an order.

Yes, bunching is the smart way. And, when figuring out which tiers I can use, I use non-graded values (not what they'll be worth after grading).

BTW - the different tiers is bs, imo. Does anyone know if the other grading companies (cards, coins) use the tier system?

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

Yes, bunching is the smart way. And, when figuring out which tiers I can use, I use non-graded values (not what they'll be worth after grading).

BTW - the different tiers is bs, imo. Does anyone know if the other grading companies (cards, coins) use the tier system?

If I use non graded values and they grade a 9.8 which boosts the price they wont up charge me? Fairly obvious NM 98 is over $200 and would think every time they grade one that up the tier to next level on all users regaurdless of DV I put?

Thanks!

If cgc determines the final value belongs in a higher tier, they could charge you more.  If it should've been in a lower tier you won't get a refund.

If u you look at the fees, it's a few -$80 diff unless you're talking 'walkthru'.  You're probably gaining a lot more value than if it stayed in the original  tier.

However, I've seen posters say they received  books in grades, which should've put them in upper tiers, but never were asked for more.

I've also seen posters state they were asked for an additional charge.  I don't know the rhyme or reason as to why or why not.

4 hours ago, DR9 said:

If I use non graded values and they grade a 9.8 which boosts the price they wont up charge me? Fairly obvious NM 98 is over $200 and would think every time they grade one that up the tier to next level on all users regaurdless of DV I put?

Thanks!

It's possible. I can't say whether it's likely or not, all I can give you is my experiences ... I've been submitting to CGC for years - always used the nongraded values (afterall, that's what your sending them, and you can't possibly know what grade it's coming back with) - I've never, not once, been bumped up by them.

edit: don't be discouraged by the word 'final' in the post above. Nowhere does CGC use that word.

Edited by Gaard

On 5/25/2019 at 5:31 AM, Gaard said:

It's possible. I can't say whether it's likely or not, all I can give you is my experiences ... I've been submitting to CGC for years - always used the nongraded values (afterall, that's what your sending them, and you can't possibly know what grade it's coming back with) - I've never, not once, been bumped up by them.

In that same vein, should we not also assume that the book might be restored?  hm

After all, the restoration check is also another thing we are sending the book in for. 

Needless to say, if it is indeed restored, it would definitely have a significant detrimental impact on the value of the book.  :tonofbricks:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

In that same vein, should we not also assume that the book might be restored?  hm

After all, the restoration check is also another thing we are sending the book in for. 

Needless to say, if it is indeed restored, it would definitely have a significant detrimental impact on the value of the book.  :tonofbricks:

Yup, I sent a batch to joeypost.  He let me know my X-Men 94 had some slight color touch and it would damage to the book too much to try and remove it.  At least I bought it approx 35 years ago so it still leaves me ahead of the game.

5 minutes ago, Mirkinator said:

Isnt the grading process the same for every book? Curious how a more expensive book cost CGC more $$ to grade?

Insurance expenses.

As a business entity, I would assume they need to carry insurance waivers/business liability insurance on high value books while they are in CGCs possession.

1 hour ago, bc said:

Insurance expenses.

As a business entity, I would assume they need to carry insurance waivers/business liability insurance on high value books while they are in CGCs possession.

Well then, the faster they grade it, the less time they have the book in their possession, so the insurance should be less, so it should cost us less, right?  RIGHT?

4 hours ago, bc said:
4 hours ago, Mirkinator said:

Isnt the grading process the same for every book? Curious how a more expensive book cost CGC more $$ to grade?

Insurance expenses.

Sounds as though you've been drinking way too much of the CGC Kool-Aid if you believe it's all about the insurance expense.  :insane:

Especially if you really believe they have to pay $5K to insure a book that's going to be in their possession for only a few days on a Walk Through submission.  :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you've been drinking way too much of the CGC Kool-Aid if you believe it's all about the insurance expense.  :insane:

Especially if you really believe they have to pay $5K to insure a book that's going to be in their possession for only a few days on a Walk Through submission.  :facepalm:

Can understand the extra expense for a Walk Thru - we also charge a premium for customers who require services on an emergency/immediate basis and can't wait for the customary turn-around times.

So I guess it is simply "because they can" (shrug)

16 minutes ago, bc said:
24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Can understand the extra expense for a Walk Thru - we also charge a premium for customers who require services on an emergency/immediate basis and can't wait for the customary turn-around times.

So I guess it is simply "because they can" (shrug)

+1

I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said "simply because they can".  :frown:

More so than speed, it's based upon the perceived value of your book.  So, if I have a key GA book that's been sitting in my collection for decades and in no hurry to get it graded, they can still charge up to $5K to have it graded as long as they think it's market value is greater than $3,000.  :censored:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said "simply because they can".  :frown:

More so than speed, it's based upon the perceived value of your book.  So, if I have a key GA book that's been sitting in my collection for decades and in no hurry to get it graded, they can still charge up to $5K to have it graded as long as they think it's market value is greater than $3,000.  :censored:

Gotcha - see the issue now. Haven't submitted anything greater than the Standard limits ($1K). Like you, I'm in no hurry to get it done but patience doesn't appear to pay-off here :(

Tying the FMV to a grading tier (and subsequent fees & TATs) must have been the accountants idea. 

13 minutes ago, bc said:

Haven't submitted anything greater than the Standard limits ($1K). Like you, I'm in no hurry to get it done but patience doesn't appear to pay-off here :(

Yes, talk about inflation here.

Their max grading fee used to be $3K and then they jacked it right up to $5K without a corresponding increase to their valuation threshold trigger point of $3,000 per book.  The least they could have done was increase the threshold level to $5,000 per book, especially considering how fast book valuations are increasing in this marketplace.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, talk about inflation here.

Their max grading fee used to be $3K and then they jacked it right up to $5K without a corresponding increase to their valuation threshold trigger point of $3,000 per book.  The least they could have done was increase the threshold level to $5,000 per book, especially considering how fast book valuations are increasing in this marketplace.  hm

Which (could be argued) is a direct result of CGC grading. People pay more and more money for big numbers on a label and CGC can get more revenue - beautiful business model if you can make it happen.

Agree that they should increase the max FMV occasionally (like "adjusted for inflation" or a "cost of living" increase). Base it on a few regularly transacted books (like an Index) and adjust accordingly.

11 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Be careful submitting under the wrong lesser valued tier. If CGC damages your book in the grading process they will only reimburse up to the stated value. 

I've always wondered if the graders are more prone to give the benefit of doubt to a book and grade it higher if they are unsure and if the book was paid for at a higher tier?  (shrug)

Of course, the theory is that they always grade the book that's in front of them and don't know any of the submission details, but then again.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Just remember you are looking at your book with rose colored glasses because you own it.  CGC will not.  To estimate value drop it down a full point because that is likely what the grade will be.  I have yet to be pleasantly surprised even with CCS pressing.  On the upside each book I submit I learn a little more about modern grading standards.  I am never going to see a 9.8 unless I buy it hehe...