• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pricing and Values?

26 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, bc said:

Gotcha - see the issue now. Haven't submitted anything greater than the Standard limits ($1K). Like you, I'm in no hurry to get it done but patience doesn't appear to pay-off here :(

Tying the FMV to a grading tier (and subsequent fees & TATs) must have been the accountants idea. 

now this might be answered on CGC site but I wonder what does CGC use as the FMV for a comic, as I know on this form many talk about Ebay completed sales, GPA, Overstreet guide, Heritage, etc... does CGC use these prices or do they average it across all? Or does CGC have their own valuation (guessing this one)? and if they have their own valuation I wonder ifs its widely available for us to use? 

59 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

now this might be answered on CGC site but I wonder what does CGC use as the FMV for a comic, as I know on this form many talk about Ebay completed sales, GPA, Overstreet guide, Heritage, etc... does CGC use these prices or do they average it across all? Or does CGC have their own valuation (guessing this one)? and if they have their own valuation I wonder ifs its widely available for us to use? 

This may answer your question (or not)

From here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/declared-value-policy/

"Fair Market Value: For the purposes of this Policy, the “current Fair Market Value” is the value of the collectible if it were to be sold, as determined by CGC in its sole reasonably exercised discretion. CGC will determine the current Fair Market Value of a collectible based upon what CGC believes, in its sole reasonably exercised opinion, to be reliable current market information. CGC may use actual pricing and sales information available to it, including prices in the actual transaction history of the collectible in question. However, due to the volatile nature of the collectible market and Internet auctions/sales as well as the differences in buying habits of different individuals, such information may not necessarily represent the accurate current Fair Market Value of any particular collectible, which again, will be determined by CGC in its sole reasonably exercised discretion. CGC reserves the right to use the declared value listed by the submitter on the CGC Submission Form as the current Fair Market Value, and in no event will CGC’s determination of current Fair Market Value exceed the declared value listed by the submitter on the CGC Submission Form. CGC’s determination of the current Fair Market Value will be absolute and binding on all parties.

Please note that this policy also applies for submissions to Classic Collectible Services (CCS), an affiliate of CGC, if CCS services are selected on the CGC Submission Form."

Wow! Did i read that right? The max fee is Five GRAND!? Holy €%£¥! Yea these tier’d fees make no sense to me. Maybe if they could guarantee it wouldn’t be damaged. 

But I suppose its all because people will pay it, like anything else.

On 6/2/2019 at 10:50 AM, Mirkinator said:

But I suppose its all because people will pay it, like anything else.

And I've heard that the registration numbers are assigned so that CGC will eventually be able to start taking a percentage from every subsequent sale of the book.  These books are only valuable thanks to being certified by CGC right?  So CGC is obviously entitled to a cut of all future profits gained as a result of their grading service, I mean it just makes sense! ;)

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 5/23/2019 at 10:52 PM, DR9 said:

Hi All!

I don't understand the book values on why so tight and low (to rake more money in?). If I want to slab Xmen 266 or New Mutants 98, both at over $200 in the open market. So by their pricing they would cost me $72 shipped per book! or $58.50 without shipping per book. Everything I'd love to slab is over $400 value.

All I hear is it costs $25.00 per book, NOPE. Slabbing stuff from 2005+ era is the only thing you can really do for the low pricing.

If everythig you want slabbed is the same tier (so above 400$) then send them together. At least you will save money on shipping both ways.

And yes, that 25$ is just for moderns worth less than 200.

Meaning whoever slabbed stuff like this really liked to waste money:

image.thumb.png.8afcd46c4ac74bf22f7dbf83374b00f6.png

image.thumb.png.fa6d8c756243ff79c402acf1ecd773b7.png

On 5/28/2019 at 5:27 PM, lou_fine said:

I've always wondered if the graders are more prone to give the benefit of doubt to a book and grade it higher if they are unsure and if the book was paid for at a higher tier?  (shrug)

Of course, the theory is that they always grade the book that's in front of them and don't know any of the submission details, but then again.  hm

I wonder that too. Of course, we are told that the tier is only for insurance purposes but it still feels like you are paying more for a higher grade. Like, in the case of Swamp Thing 1, going up a tier because you think it's a 9.0 rather than an 8.5.

But I will give you an experience of mine that should put our doubts at ease. I had a Fantastic Four 5 that I handed over to CGC at a show. That book can be a whole bunch of different tiers depending the grade. I wasn't sure if it was between a 3.0 (which would be economy) and a 4.0 (which would be whatever is after that). Like there was tape on it, but there wasn't anything missing from it. I went for 4.0 at the recommendation of the  person I was handing it over to. It came back a 3 and I was actually reimbursed the tier grade difference. So it looks like the grading department is fully detached from the billing.

Of course, I still think the tiers are baloney in the sense that 2 books in the same grade from the same year would cost differently to grade because one is more coverted/popular than the other. Like paying more to get a 7.5 on a Detective Comics 359 than a 7.5 on a Detective Comics 358. I guess the higher price is just you paying more for insurance in case your book gets lost and them insuring that the pricier book is given a higher priority by having it graded and returned quicker than the cheaper book. I personally would much rather the tier be based on how long you want to wait and the era. So that I could have Detective 359 at the same tier as the cheaper Detective 358 and wait the time it takes for both to get graded in the cheaper tier.

Hi, I'm italian and new in this business.. I have one question, How many influence in the sell value this note in the cgc signatures series ""name on first page in pen"? I don't know if the sell price is too high for these comics with this note.. <Thank you for your help and sorry for my english!