• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIRBYMANIA!!!! The ongoing thread for all things (non-comics / non-orginal art) KING KIRBY!!!
1 1

65 posts in this topic

It's strange that the inker took the time to redrawn Jack's work so well and then made the narrator completely a different character just by the tweaking of a few lines making him nearly a Professor X clone or a more sinister version.:bigsmile: Thank you for posting.(thumbsu

16 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

And another gift; this from a complete stranger who heard of my love of Kirby thru our comic store. He makes these books himself, this might be one of two in the whole world.

52156B54-C620-4877-B8D2-0A9E3AED4480.thumb.jpeg.97533266d13e48b9f957233dd3ed5001.jpeg

C748A553-DB98-4401-AE41-F9E523C1BE09.thumb.jpeg.c47c2429cedb91151a867a0e5420fa16.jpeg

(thumbsu Awesome!  I have the complete run of The Eternals in a bound volume that I got from a boardie years ago.   I would LOVE to have Jack's '70s Cap run in that format...

7 hours ago, tv horror said:

It's strange that the inker took the time to redrawn Jack's work so well and then made the narrator completely a different character just by the tweaking of a few lines making him nearly a Professor X clone or a more sinister version.:bigsmile: Thank you for posting.(thumbsu

You make it sound like either a deliberate move or a mistake on Mike Royer's part. I saw the full size scan of the image he worked from- I think he did pretty well, considering. 

I hope I can still write my name when I'm 78 lol

17 minutes ago, MR SigS said:
  7 hours ago, tv horror said:

It's strange that the inker took the time to redrawn Jack's work so well and then made the narrator completely a different character just by the tweaking of a few lines making him nearly a Professor X clone or a more sinister version.:bigsmile: Thank you for posting.

17 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

You make it sound like either a deliberate move or a mistake on Mike Royer's part. I saw the full size scan of the image he worked from- I think he did pretty well, considering. 

No comprendo. To me, the narrator looks the same in both the pencils/xeroxed pencils and the final inked version. One of the reasons Royer wound up being Jack’s main inker during that '70s period is because he did as Jack wanted, he followed Jack’s line. 

Edited by Dick Pontoon

6 hours ago, MR SigS said:

Mike sez

82589232_853717915051929_599787663721811

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Yeah, I think I need that.

Once seen, who doesn't? When I was a wee lad my uncle had most, if not all of the third eye, 3-D dayglo psychedelic Marvel posters lining the walls in one of his basement rooms, the full sized ones and the smaller ones.. There was a continuous perimeter of double 4 foot black light fixtures around the room at the ceiling and walls junctures. When he turned on the black lights and cut the overhead fluorescent lights, the art literally jumped off the walls, an indescribable sight seeing Kirby art like that, coming at you, floating off the walls.

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Just gotta figger a place for em...

Walls. Displayed. But low-traffic area, too high for toddlers, small children, and pets to reach. Away from heating sources and direct sunlight or harsh room lighting. To me, they're fine art and should be displayed as carefully as possible. And with a black light mounted so occasionally they can be seen as was intended for their full dramatic impact. Once you've seen the Medusa, the Thor, the Surfer, etc., posters like that, you're not going to want to hide away these Kirby masterpieces.

Edited by James J Johnson

On 5/25/2019 at 4:44 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Great books, and especially this one for me.

Always liked Simon and Kirby horror.

There's an energy and creepiness to it.  

After EC, my favourite in the genre from its era. 

Yes! Kirby doesn't get his due for his horror work from that era. Great stuff.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:41 AM, MR SigS said:

TwoMorrows ( lol sorry) is releasing Jack Kirby's Dingbat Love in Oct, and commissioned Mike Royer to ink an unreleased Kirby story (from images, not pencils). I purchased them, but agreed not to share them until after the release. Stay tuned.

160-page FULL-COLOR HARDCOVER - by Jack KIRBY, edited by John MORROW

In cooperation with DC Comics, TwoMorrows compiles a tempestuous trio of never-seen 1970s Kirby projects! These are the final complete, unpublished Jack Kirby stories in existence, presented here for the first time! Included are: Two unused Dingbats of Danger Street tales (Kirby’s final Kid Gang group, inked by Mike Royer and D. Bruce Berry, and newly colored for this book)! True-Life Divorce, the abandoned newsstand magazine that was too hot for its time (reproduced from Jack’s pencil art—and as a bonus, we’ve commissioned Mike Royer to ink one of the stories)! And Soul Love, the unseen ’70s romance book so funky, even a jive turkey will dig the unretouched inks by Vince Colletta and Tony DeZuniga. PLUS: There’s Kirby historian John Morrow’s in-depth examination of why these projects got left back, concept art and uninked pencils from Dingbats, and a Foreword by ’70s Kirby assistant Mark Evanier!

Wasn't ever a huge fan of Kirby's kid gang type work, though it was a concept he obviously loved. The art here looks amazing for it, so it's worth it for that at least and... the True-Life Divorce and Soul Love I am 100% ready to read! Thanks so much for posting...can't believe I missed this book!