• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIRBYMANIA!!!! The ongoing thread for all things (non-comics / non-orginal art) KING KIRBY!!!
1 1

65 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'm cross-posting this with my catch-all Bronze Age thread because I think it fits the theme of this thread as well-- what's going on with Kirby, apart from the comics artwork we all know so well?  I've come across a lot of opinions on these boards over the years that Kirby was a semi-literate mental inferior to (pick your favorite comics-scripting wordsmith here).  But there was a lot going on upstairs with Kirby, as I think this text piece reinforces.

Spoiler

I thought it was an unfortunate mistake that DC chose not to reprint Jack Kirby's editorial pages in the Fourth World Omnibus reprint editions.  The one pasted below from Jimmy Olsen #135  from 1971 gets to a lot of what Kirby was attempting in his Fourth World series, 

• In the text below, Kirby is talking on one level about the Hairies, who are the characters he recently introduced to the Jimmy Olsen strip: products of the secret DNA Project, they are genetically manipulated super mutants.
  • But clearly the Hairies are stand-ins for the then-current (or recently-current) Hippies of the Woodstock Nation.   As are the Forever People, another of Jack's creations from this same timeframe.
  • Reading the below, you can see Jack debating with himself-- the WWII veteran versus the late-middle-aged dad trying to make sense of the 1960s counter culture.  A similar debate happens in New Gods #6 "Glory Boat" where Kirby explores and ultimately rejects pacifism as a response to the evil represented by Darkseid.  Indeed  you can read the New Gods as the soldiers fighting the enemy head on, responding to force with force.  And the Hairies and the Forever People are perhaps trying to win the hearts & minds, to use a Vietnam-era phrase. 
  • I had never thought of this before, but maybe the Fourth World trilogy is showing us 3 responses to the Vietnam conflict:  Join the Army (the New Gods), support the counter-culture (the Forever People), or escape to Canada! (Mister Miracle) :bigsmile:

In any case, the below text piece I think says a lot about Kirby wrestling with these questions.  See what you think:

kirbytext.jpg

Nice!  I think I remember that piece.  What issue is it in?  edit: nvr mind

Edited by Unca Ben

Barry Ira Geller has had several Lord Of Light projects going for the last few years (nothing to do with Game of Thrones, of course), and they're slowly making their way to completion. He had no idea what he was getting into lol 

The pins were an afterthought, as the statues have been the main goal, and the 2 based directly from the Kirby/Royer art have gone through several changes.

Here are the Pins. If Barry is okay with images of the models being shared (they're not released yet), I will,

ZtP4V8Q.jpg

gQHq6Jwl.jpg

gX78M8Zl.jpgOT3keJRl.jpg

dPkYifbl.jpgGRp0Rhpl.jpg

37POqIpl.jpg5FFWpy9l.jpg

DUdUpy6l.jpgXX6wDfjl.jpg

Edited by MR SigS

6 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Wow!  I've never seen these before.  Very, very cool...

Yeah, they're great! I wish we'd gotten several waves of figures in the style of the King, but I don't think these sold great, so I guess we should be happy with the two waves we got. 

Personally I find this to be a positive thing, but when I look at this image from the surface of Mars, I can see the top of the head and hands/fingers of a classic Kirby monster, waiting to emerge from the ground once we land humans on the planet.

GAljD6i.png

Edited by MR SigS

I'm tossing this up here.  One of very few published TMNT pieces Jack Kirby ever did.  TMNT #1 was famously dedicated to Jack Kirby and Frank Miller, both of whom heavily influenced Eastman and Laird.  In fact, the pair initially bonded over a shared love of Jack Kirby art.

Pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Mike Thibodeaux

834468631_KirbyMichelangelo.thumb.jpg.2eadf5f246d7029e6087cbc8d2004094.jpg

P.S. I didn't get it signed by Eastman.  It came like that.  :blush:  When I had it framed, I matted it out.