• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a blessed and safe Memorial Day weekend!!

10 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

SpectacularFeaturesMagazine12fc100.jpg.21ef5cd3018f3328e2d39ec3dbefb028.jpg

Cool cover, but I was under the mistaken assumption that the men in the famous Mt. Suribachi photo all survived the war, so would be better celebrated on Veterans Day.  Upon further research, three were KIA shortly afterwards, so thanks for spurring me to learn some additional information.  "There are six Flag Raisers on the famous Iwo Jima photo. Four in the front line and two in back. The front four are (left to right) Ira Hayes, Franklin Sousley, Harold Schultz and Harlon Block.  The back two are Michael Strank (behind Sousley) and Rene Gagnon (behind Schultz). Strank, Block and Sousley would die shortly afterwards. Bradley, Hayes and Gagnon became national heroes within weeks." 

Ira Hayes, who was somewhat famous after returning to the U.S. and even the topic of a Johnny Cash song, later lamented, “How could I feel like a hero when only five men in my platoon of 45 survived, when only 27 men in my company of 250 managed to escape death or injury?”

Amazing sacrifices to appreciate for all the soldiers who never got the chance to take off their uniforms.  Thanks for your service to vets and active military.