• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabric Softener Sheets/Dryer Sheets and Original Art
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Does fabric softener sheets affect the stability of paper? I was thinking of sticking some sheets in my portfolio binders, but I am concerned the chemicals in the Bounce sheets will have an adverse affect. The purpose is to keep any pests or vermin away from my art. Any advice or knowledge would be helpful. Also, I assume the smell from the sheets would dissipate from the paper over time, if I decide to sell any of my art. Also placed the art in open garbage bags, to protect it, but concerned that moisture will build up in the bags and create mold or water stains. Thanks.

Edited by Captain Canuck

Yeah. Totally sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Why introduce myriad potential problems, when simply keeping the pieces stored in the usual common sense ways will do a very effective job.

If serious infestations of vermin and insects are a genuine issue, you will forgive me for saying perhaps collecting art, and that arts safekeeping would be the last thing I would be worried about.  I’d be posting on extermination boards, making calls and finding a good solution to the problems in my home. Then worry about art stuff. Solve the problem, not put a bandaid on it.

All this other stuff about dryer sheets (not meant for archiving art) and trash bags (not meant for archiving art), it’s all some kind of kooky home-remedy nonsense, IMO. If the art needs to truly be archived long term, there are archival materials for that.

Edited by ESeffinga
Typos

Everything that has been said is valid, but sadly right now I am between moves and everything has been placed in my basement, so want to protect it as best as possible from a worst case scenario (mice, basement centipedes and leaks). Neither of these scenarios are prevalent, but stuff happens and want to protect my art as best as possible until I can put it someplace safe again. As asked previously will garbage bags and Dryer Sheets negatively affect my art for a couple of months of storage? No different I assume, than if it was placed in a storage locker.

Edited by Captain Canuck

Sounds less bat”mess” crazy than it did before but if you’re moving and worried about leaks and pests, just buy some plastic totes, but your art binders in there, and you’re done.

garbage bags for a couple months (particularly if it’s art in binders in garbage bags in totes) are fine I’m sure, but forget this dryer sheet idea. 

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Sounds less bat”mess” crazy than it did before but if you’re moving and worried about leaks and pests, just buy some plastic totes, but your art binders in there, and you’re done.

garbage bags for a couple months (particularly if it’s art in binders in garbage babes in totes) are fine I’m sure, but forget this dryer sheet idea. 

I will get rid of the dryer sheets, most of the art is in either portfolio binders, thin mylar bags, top-loaders and some still sandwiched between cardboard. Placed in garbage bags. Nothing is loose. Just want to do it justice and avoid any moisture or any other damage until I get it back safely where it belongs.

Edited by Captain Canuck

23 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

I will get rid of the dryer sheets, most of the art is in either portfolio binders, thin mylar bags, top-loaders and some still sandwiched between cardboard. Placed in garbage bags. Nothing is loose. Just want to do it justice and avoid any moisture or any other damage until I get it back safely where it belongs.

I would probably get them away from the cardboard. Depending on how moist the situation, they might absorb moisture and harm the art. Get more bags and top loaders.

You can use clear plastic "underbed" bins that they sell at stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, or Bed Bath & Beyond.  Check the measurements but I found a few brands that fit my 13 x 19 itoya portfolios.  They should keep your art dry and any insects, pests or vermin out.  As long as you do not overfill them, you can stack a few of them.  I place them on steel shelves from Home Depot.  The shelves are on wheels which will make your life easier.

The bins are usually tapered so make sure you measure the bottom dimensions accurately.

Good luck.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

5 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

You can use clear plastic "underbed" bins that they sell at stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, or Bed Bath & Beyond. 

And if you're still concerned, seal them with tape.

Laminate everything. ;)

(Just kidding. DON'T LAMINATE ANYTHING.)

Also, do not put dryer sheets in contact with the art. Dryer sheets have chemicals on them that may react badly with paper and ink.

Large plastic totes are fairly cheap, usually around $6-$7 each at Walmart, and those have lock-down lids. Unless you have a ton of art, one big one should hold it all. If you want more protection, but a roll of Duck Tape and seal up all the edges of the tote.

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Laminate everything. ;)

Also, do not put dryer sheets in contact with the art. Dryer sheets have chemicals on them that may react badly with paper and ink.

Large plastic totes are fairly cheap, usually around $6-$7 each at Walmart, and those have lock-down lids. Unless you have a ton of art, one big one should hold it all. If you want more protection, but a roll of Duck Tape and seal up all the edges of the tote.

This is a good thought, but when you put the tape on, when will be the next time you look at the art?  Your heirs might appreciate it!  I like to keep my art in open mylars occasionally checked,  that way I can detect the condition and visit the work.  David

Edited by aokartman
punctuation

16 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Laminate everything. ;)

Completely sealing the storage of art is not a good idea. It needs to breath and if its gonna be sealed for 30 + years then the paper might yellow faster because of the chemicals that the paper and ink produce.

There's actually some science to back up the idea of bounce sheets as pest control, according to Smithsonian Magazine. If you keep a dryer sheet in your pocket, it will keep away bugs because it has both linalool, a toxin that is found in lavender and basil, as well as beta-citronella, which is used to repel mosquitoes.  Paper items (like comics or art) are vulnerable to Silverfish bugs but no evidence that these Bounce chemicals or even Microchamber paper offer any defense.  Probably best to focus on controling room humidty and environmental hygiene instead.  My 2c

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:
18 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Nix on the dryer sheets. just throw a couple tide pods in there and you're good to go.

I’m not sure the pods will give them the same softness as the dryer sheets. (:

Probably not but you can always eat the tide pods

Edited by Jeffro.