• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inspired in Vietnam...
1 1

12 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I’m currently traveling in Vietnam and came across a restaurant in Hue that had a whole wall of clay superhero statues.  It turns out, all the statues are made by the owners 7 year old son (his first piece was completed when he was 4).  He doesn’t have any comics and all the inspiration for his statues comes from some Marvel cards he came into somehow.  The rest are from images his dad finds online for him.

i was really touched by this and asked if it was okay for me to send him some of my extra comics to help inspire his creative/artistic juices.  I have a few books (~20) I will be sending and might pick up some random $0.50 books at my LCS, but I wanted to reach out to see if any boardies would be inspired to send a few worthless books that I could add in my care package.  I know beggars shouldn’t be choosers, but 99% of the statues were Marvel/DC so it would make sense to send books from those publishers if possible.

if you’re interested, please send me a PM and we can coordinate.  I get back from Vietnam at the end of the month (so I might have a delayed response) and would like to mail the books by mid-June.  (Note, this isn’t an official charitable donation, just me trying to be nice).

What a great post.

It reminds me of when I was a kid. I was about 4 or 5 when I started drawing characters and collecting and I couldn't get my hands on enough comic books.

Thanks for posting!

Nice pieces. Kid's good. 

In Sulaymaniyah, Iraq I met a young man who worked at a coffee shop. I noticed some really great drawings around the shop (no superhero comic stuff) and asked if they were his. He said yes and asked if I wanted to see his portfolio. I said sure and he pulled it from behind the counter and showed it to me. It was all male superheroes but with boobs. Huge boobs. And not cartoony like you might see in a Robert Crumb piece, but men with boobs. Serious as in if men had boobs. Spiderman with boobs. Deadpool with boobs. Quicksilver with boobs, and so on.

He gave me his Instagram account but my head was already spinning from the travel and where I was at and I just didn't write it down. It seemed perfectly normal. I just said, Cool

Edited by NoMan

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Wait, is that a thing?  We did come across a massive centipede while crawling through the Cu Chi Tunnels.

Yeah, it was discovered a few years ago.

They're hot-pink colored and defend themselves with cyanide spit. Truly disgusting creatures.

I learned about them in this video (big fan of Hybrid Librarian):

Edit: I could've sworn they're native to Vietnam, but I guess it's actually Thailand. You're safe! lol

Edited by TwoPiece

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah, it was discovered a few years ago.

They're hot-pink colored and defend themselves with cyanide spit. Truly disgusting creatures.

I learned about them in this video (big fan of Hybrid Librarian):

Edit: I could've sworn they're native to Vietnam, but I guess it's actually Thailand. You're safe! lol

Geez, that sounds a big alarming.  Interesting how nature determined that hot pink would be a good color to ward off predators.