• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCM Comic Con London 24-26 May 2019
1 1

177 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

So do I. I wasn't joking when I said that. lol

Wish I could gig on it. Buddy says it's cake. While at work he said he, "Explores one end of the Internet to the other" cause he's so bored. Good cash, too which I could spend with you Roy if your contact can hook me up. Money for me = money for you! M

And BTW Byrd is real, too. Paul Leary (guitarist for the Butthole Surfers among other accomplishments) is a big fan and writes about Byrd often.

Wish I knew as much about comics as I do in the worthless I do

Edited by NoMan

54 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I thought of bringing you into the bathroom with me and then thought better of it. We're not that close.

:eek:

43 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
53 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Absurd.

I'm dumbfounded every time I encounter it.

When I went to (I think) the inaugural LCC there was a full list of dealers advertised. And there were a lot of them. I think I still have the brochure somewhere. And you got a goody bag then too with quite a lot in it. This time, just a brochure and not even handed to you on entry. I found the stall handing them out by chance. All a bit poor really from a comic collectors point of view. I don't think I'd go again. 

So, is this a replacement for LSCC?

On their website it seemed that there’s been some kind of merger with MCM taking place?

I wouldn’t have been happy with the comics content of this event. Quite poor range from what’s been shown in the thread.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

So, is this a replacement for LSCC?

On their website it seemed that there’s been some kind of merger with MCM taking place?

I wouldn’t have been happy with the comics content of this event. Quite poor range from what’s been shown in the thread.

It was poor Ken. They should rename these things really. 

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

20190526_104517.thumb.jpg.0c60389126bb53932f98b20c0d03ac13.jpg

Or was it....?

It appears that the good Captain, might have just gotton lucky with the pretty young lass...:x

She probably noticed the dog poop on his shoe...., 

8 hours ago, VintageComics said:
8 hours ago, goldust40 said:
8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do you know I couldn't find the list of dealers on the site Golders?  I went blind. If it wasn't for the one dealer who I'd never seen before I'd have got nothing. It was a bit like the regular London fair really, just with lots of additional people who dressed up and knew what soap was. 

Surprised that info ain't on the site.

It's commonplace these days for promoters to either not post dealers attending or to post them so close to the show as to not make any real sense.

I used to scour exhibitor lists for shows to visit and ran into this often.

I guess promoters don't think it's important to list who will be exhibiting at their shows.

They probably don't want any potential comic book collectors that might be thinking of attending to find out that there is at most probably only a small handful of comic book dealers setting up at the show.  :frown:

It would most definitely discourage them from paying the big bucks to go through the doors to find no worthwhile comic books to buy in there.  hm

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Alas, the reality was somewhat less alluring...

20190526_103125.thumb.jpg.25b5814faf88a76b61ee36194099fcc3.jpg

No sign of Brittany alas.

Well, glad to see that the CGC booth is pretty much as busy as the time they were set up here for Fan Expo in Vancouver.  lol

Strongly doubt they'll ever bother to set up here ever again as it must have been a big money loser for them.  :frown:

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the report and photos. If it makes you feel any better, it looks similar to many shows over here across the pond.

Cheers Robot Man. It's a shame isnt it. At the first LSCC I recall that they had a 'comic village' with quite a few dealers from all over the world. That was a worthwhile trip. This time they were scattered about like after thoughts and the comics were mainly modern variants or 50p junk. I don't think I witnessed a single comic purchase in the hours I was there. As ever with me, I had a chat with one of the UK dealers. He's a man steeped in comics and, to be fair, he brought some impressive stock. But he said it had been quiet, he was stuck on the end hidden away and he probably lost money attending. And he didn't know Charlton did pence copies. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:
17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It was all too much for Captain Scarlet.

20190526_104517.thumb.jpg.0c60389126bb53932f98b20c0d03ac13.jpg

Or was it....?

It appears that the good Captain, might have just gotton lucky with the pretty young lass...:x

Fair play to them. The kids seemed to be having a great time and I was a little envious if I'm honest. Us old farts may moan and lament the passing of our golden comic collecting era. These kids? They're just having fun. I lost count of how many fabulously dressed girls I would have married on the spot, if I were young and carefree again.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

They probably don't want any potential comic book collectors that might be thinking of attending to find out that there is at most probably only a small handful of comic book dealers setting up at the show.  :frown:

It would most definitely discourage them from paying the big bucks to go through the doors to find no worthwhile comic books to buy in there.  hm

Yeah, I paid £31 for an advance entry ticket. I enjoyed the day, but probably wouldn't have gone if I'd known how small the comic content was going to be. 

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

20190526_103125.thumb.jpg.25b5814faf88a76b61ee36194099fcc3.jpg

No sign of Brittany alas.

Well, glad to see that the CGC booth is pretty much as busy as the time they were set up here for Fan Expo in Vancouver.  lol

Strongly doubt they'll ever bother to set up here ever again as it must have been a big money loser for them.  :frown:

A lot of them had a sort of "where is everybody" look of bewilderment on their faces. Not just the CGC stall, the dealers and artists too. Putting aside the promotional benefits, CGC must have lost a packet setting up here. If you think about it, if the main attraction is for young kids to come, dress up, eat and have fun, that will discourage the kind of collectors that would use CGC's services. I thought they'd be overrun, especially in the 2 hour early bird slot. No one was interested in their stall which was empty every time I went past it. And Hetitage didn't even have someone on their stall. Does the guy who wants to consign major books really want to come to an event like this?

Thanks for the report & photos. I had no idea CGC were setting up there. For the comic book collectors, the MCM website is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I often wonder if there are any mid to high grade silver / bronze books left to buy in the UK?