• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCM Comic Con London 24-26 May 2019
1 1

177 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Fair play to them. The kids seemed to be having a great time and I was a little envious if I'm honest. Us old farts may moan and lament the passing of our golden comic collecting era. These kids? They're just having fun. I lost count of how many fabulously dressed girls I would have married on the spot, if I were young and carefree again.

You know, I’m OK with that. These shows are supposed to be fun. If that is their kind of fun, cool. My kind of fun is buying old comics. Too bad it can’t be both. Back in the old days, there were tons of old comics but no pretty girls. Things have sure changed...

That couple looks so innocent and flirty. Great to see.

In all the photos I think I saw one dealer with a single short box labeled "British comics." Everything else was American. All the wall books, everything!

Doesn't a certain 2000AD prog merit a place on the shelf with the other wall books? Or at least a crummy long box? How about Battle? Misty? Scream? Jinty?

5 hours ago, MisterX said:

In all the photos I think I saw one dealer with a single short box labeled "British comics." Everything else was American. All the wall books, everything!

Doesn't a certain 2000AD prog merit a place on the shelf with the other wall books? Or at least a crummy long box? How about Battle? Misty? Scream? Jinty?

Good point. If it wasn't for ebay, and 30th Century Comics, you'd never know such books existed.

6 hours ago, MisterX said:

It would be nice if some of the Picture Library Books, and Commando were featured. I would imagine they would make good candidates for slabbing, as similar sized American books are, from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've always thought a slabbed Viz Comic 1 would be nice.

I think if Viz were still going today Paul they would probably make a special newton ring variant cover just on the off chance the book ever got graded :bigsmile:

So is the MCM Comic Con London the replacement for the London Comic con that was previously held by board members?

If so, has the show changed ownership?

Just a short comment on the usual negative comments when change comes to a comic show.  Reed and CGC are both well aware that MCM was not a comic book show.  But lets not put all the blame on the promoters.  If the UK wants big three day show events the UK dealers need to come to the shows.

I have offered all of my UK customers the ability to order ALL year long from my website and pick up the orders at the Reed MCM shows to save on shipping.  They are also welcome to ask or order anything from my website and have it brought to the show so long as it is way in advance of when I ship my orders off.  Last minute requests are usually not done because I only have so much room in my suitcases.  My show dates are 1 year in advance,  if you can't think a year in advance then please don't be angry if I don't have what you are looking for at the show.   

I'm open to international dealers coming in from other countries to buy from me.  If you want "deals" then I STRONGLY suggest you do that before I get there.  I am just as respectful of your cost of getting there as mine. 

Ken,  you would not have a good time at a MCM show.  Lets just leave it at that.     

Everybody wants the cozy/lazy one day comic show where basically you get in for free,  buy your books and are home in a few hours.  I have to say when I was a collector I drove for hours to go to shows.  Inconvenience was not a word I used.  It seems unless the date is just exactly right,  the price is right,  the ambience,  the mood or god knows what else collectors all over the world will find an excuse for not showing up. 

Well if you want US dealers to come over the pond I don't think it will be to do a one day show.  

The last time London supercon ran a show all I heard was that the show was during the "Vacation season".  Go to the beach or go to a show?  Hmmm,  when pressed the comic collector went on vacation.  Show hours weren't right,  how come there are not enough comic dealers?  Let me guess,  when a show doesn't have enough comic dealers it is because there aren't enough Comic book buyers. 

I had lots of money to spend at the show for books.  Unfortunately it seems that the UK dealer is more interested in holding onto every last dollar versus creating long term customer relationships where both of us can make some money.  I was paying CASH and didn't spend a cent at this show.

Even with CGC at the show did the collector come and submit books,  No.  I get very little sense of urgency to get books graded or maybe they just don't see the cost justification in getting stuff slabbed.

That being said I will see my UK customers at the October show.  

9 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Just a short comment on the usual negative comments when change comes to a comic show.  Reed and CGC are both well aware that MCM was not a comic book show.  But lets not put all the blame on the promoters.  If the UK wants big three day show events the UK dealers need to come to the shows.

I have offered all of my UK customers the ability to order ALL year long from my website and pick up the orders at the Reed MCM shows to save on shipping.  They are also welcome to ask or order anything from my website and have it brought to the show so long as it is way in advance of when I ship my orders off.  Last minute requests are usually not done because I only have so much room in my suitcases.  My show dates are 1 year in advance,  if you can't think a year in advance then please don't be angry if I don't have what you are looking for at the show.   

I'm open to international dealers coming in from other countries to buy from me.  If you want "deals" then I STRONGLY suggest you do that before I get there.  I am just as respectful of your cost of getting there as mine. 

Ken,  you would not have a good time at a MCM show.  Lets just leave it at that.     

Everybody wants the cozy/lazy one day comic show where basically you get in for free,  buy your books and are home in a few hours.  I have to say when I was a collector I drove for hours to go to shows.  Inconvenience was not a word I used.  It seems unless the date is just exactly right,  the price is right,  the ambience,  the mood or god knows what else collectors all over the world will find an excuse for not showing up. 

Well if you want US dealers to come over the pond I don't think it will be to do a one day show.  

The last time London supercon ran a show all I heard was that the show was during the "Vacation season".  Go to the beach or go to a show?  Hmmm,  when pressed the comic collector went on vacation.  Show hours weren't right,  how come there are not enough comic dealers?  Let me guess,  when a show doesn't have enough comic dealers it is because there aren't enough Comic book buyers. 

I had lots of money to spend at the show for books.  Unfortunately it seems that the UK dealer is more interested in holding onto every last dollar versus creating long term customer relationships where both of us can make some money.  I was paying CASH and didn't spend a cent at this show.

Even with CGC at the show did the collector come and submit books,  No.  I get very little sense of urgency to get books graded or maybe they just don't see the cost justification in getting stuff slabbed.

That being said I will see my UK customers at the October show.  

Agree with just about everything you say. I was well aware that MCM would be far from a comic book show but made a point of attending on the Friday. I did, in fact, buy a couple of books from you although these were only small purchases.

Here's hoping the show can become a little more comic book orientated and better supported by both dealers ( US & UK ) and collectors.

Regardless, I will also be there again in October.

22 hours ago, mrc said:

.........er, it IS still going today.......no?

Whoops :eek:

22 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Starting with the October con and in full swing by next year the LSCC guys who are board members will be running the comics section is it should improve 10-fold :whee:

Good to hear. It would help if they specified in advance which dealers will be attending and in what volume etc. I really want to support these events but if I don't see details on the website next time I won't be going. 

14 hours ago, blazingbob said:

There are three components Bob - organisers, dealers and paying attendees. As an attendee, I did my bit by attending. I did so even though:

• There was no information on the website as to which dealers would be attending / in what quantity
  • There was no clear information about which train station to get off at - the twitter page was loaded with comments asking "how do I get there"
  • When I arrived at the venue, I had to walk what felt like a mile before I got in
  • No goody bag or welcome pack
  • I only came away with a brochure because I happened across the stall handing them out by accident
  • Heritage's stall had no one in attendance for the two hours I was there
  • CGC did not think to have any literature to hand signalling the opening / existence of their London office. I don't know what they were expecting really
  • The volume of dealers was atrocious, as, in the main, was their stock - I came with a lot of cash but spent hardly any of it 
  • What dealers there were were scattered to the four corners so you had to effectively hunt for them - two tours of the 'Comic Village' (which was 70% not comics) and I was knackered

And I paid £31 for this, as an early bird. All I got for the extra tenner was two hours with marginally less people to navigate

When I came home, I created this thread and shared pictures and comments. This was more than the organisers - who are boardies I'm told - managed to do. They haven't even commented. There are a number of UK members here who I'm sure would have appreciated a heads up as to what to expect.

You are right, the UK dealers especially need to come to these shows. I appreciate that you did. But I can only imagine how much it must cost to pitch up and, perhaps, there simply aren't enough UK comic dealers with the resources to attend. Or the desire, frankly, if no one is buying anything?

4 hours ago, incognito said:

I was well aware that MCM would be far from a comic book show but made a point of attending on the Friday.

I wasn't. I made the ridiculous assumption that a Comic Con would have a reasonable spread of comic dealers in attendance.

All that said, like you guys, I'll be at the next one too - but it will be my last one if the comic content and advance communication does not improve significantly. 

14 hours ago, blazingbob said:

To be fair Bob, you're a comic dealer so travelling to these cons is part of your work / business. Collectors who work outside of the industry may well have their family holidays planned for dates that clash with the events. To hold the MCM over a Bank Holiday is a gamble. Some may make the con their Bank Holiday weekend treat. But many will have other plans which attending the con would compromise. People with families may have little choice where and when they can take their holidays if money is tight. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you would hear the 'vacation season' comment under those circumstances.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Whoops :eek:

Good to hear. It would help if they specified in advance which dealers will be attending and in what volume etc. I really want to support these events but if I don't see details on the website next time I won't be going. 

There are three components Bob - organisers, dealers and paying attendees. As an attendee, I did my bit by attending. I did so even though:

• There was no information on the website as to which dealers would be attending / in what quantity
  • There was no clear information about which train station to get off at - the twitter page was loaded with comments asking "how do I get there"
  • When I arrived at the venue, I had to walk what felt like a mile before I got in
  • No goody bag or welcome pack
  • I only came away with a brochure because I happened across the stall handing them out by accident
  • Heritage's stall had no one in attendance for the two hours I was there
  • CGC did not think to have any literature to hand signalling the opening / existence of their London office. I don't know what they were expecting really
  • The volume of dealers was atrocious, as, in the main, was their stock - I came with a lot of cash but spent hardly any of it 
  • What dealers there were were scattered to the four corners so you had to effectively hunt for them - two tours of the 'Comic Village' (which was 70% not comics) and I was knackered

And I paid £31 for this, as an early bird. All I got for the extra tenner was two hours with marginally less people to navigate

When I came home, I created this thread and shared pictures and comments. This was more than the organisers - who are boardies I'm told - managed to do. They haven't even commented. There are a number of UK members here who I'm sure would have appreciated a heads up as to what to expect.

You are right, the UK dealers especially need to come to these shows. I appreciate that you did. But I can only imagine how much it must cost to pitch up and, perhaps, there simply aren't enough UK comic dealers with the resources to attend. Or the desire, frankly, if no one is buying anything?

I wasn't. I made the ridiculous assumption that a Comic Con would have a reasonable spread of comic dealers in attendance.

All that said, like you guys, I'll be at the next one too - but it will be my last one if the comic content and advance communication does not improve significantly. 

If you have an issue with Heritage not being at the booth that is not the promoters issue.

What is your definition of "reasonable".  I have had this term used throughout convention threads for years.  Depending on your expectations that could equate to 5, 10, 15 or 20.  If it is a certain type of material does that dealer base exist in the UK or would US dealers do well enough to come over?  Multiply your budget by the number of customers looking for that type of material will determine if that "dealer class" would setup at the show.

As with a lot of the dealer base a convention requires work from the dealers as well as the promoters.  If the dealers in the UK don't see the benefit of large shows or making enough sales then they won't come.  I hate to say it but I see a lot of guys who don't want to invest in their businesses.  In the US and international.  They expect the doors to open and magically the customers come. 

I'm guessing my stock was atrocious?  Was there material on my website that you were looking for or do I not have what you are looking for?  

As far as Reed website information goes I will be speaking to my US Sales rep about trying to expand the Comic presence at the MCM shows.  I cannot guarantee that they will listen or do what would meet your expectations.  Hopefully the staff at Reed UK will follow up with the Twitter media storm.  I would say it may take a little while but I seem to feel that in the US Reed does a very good job with the website and getting information out.  But don't think that  "nobody" cares.

If comic dealers were scattered about that was because some of them chose cheaper tables.  Cheap seems to be a resounding theme with many dealers that I talk to,  both in the US and the UK.  Either they don't have the stock to setup at shows or they don't want to pay to expand their customer base.  Being under capitalized seems to be a common theme as well as the ability to want to work together where both parties come away feeling that they got a good deal. 

I can't help a buyer if they have champagne taste with a beer wallet. 

Here is some feedback to dealers whether in the US or abroad.  If you can't find it how can you expect the customer to?  Telling  customers to dig through the boxes may be some big smart ploy on your part to think they will buy something else but to me it is a big "No, No".  Not everybody has the time or desire to surf through your boxes especially if the bags and boards haven't been changed in awhile.  Not everybody is into dumpster diving.  Stuffing two booths into one is not exactly a welcome mat.  Again,  I'm not sure what business economics course some of my competitors took but I know what 20 pounds of potato's looks like in a 10 pound bag.   

Edited by blazingbob

48 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

If you have an issue with Heritage not being at the booth that is not the promoters issue.

I didn't say it was. Heritage chose to fly over and leave their booth unmanned. For the time I was there anyway.

What is your definition of "reasonable".  I have had this term used throughout convention threads for years.  Depending on your expectations that could equate to 5, 10, 15 or 20.  If it is a certain type of material does that dealer base exist in the UK or would US dealers do well enough to come over?  Multiply your budget by the number of customers looking for that type of material will determine if that "dealer class" would setup at the show.

Hard to put a number on it Bob, but I would expect it to be in excess of the regular monthly London fair. It wasn't even half of that events regular volume.  I was particulary hoping for some UK dealers from other parts of the country, the north maybe. My focus is on pence variants and pre-hero Marvels / Westerns. 

As with a lot of the dealer base a convention requires work from the dealers as well as the promoters.  If the dealers in the UK don't see the benefit of large shows or making enough sales then they won't come.  I hate to say it but I see a lot of guys who don't want to invest in their businesses.  In the US and international.  They expect the doors to open and magically the customers come. 

I'm guessing my stock was atrocious?  Was there material on my website that you were looking for or do I not have what you are looking for?  

No, your stock was fine, just not what I was looking for personally. I didn't check your site as I didn't know you were going to be there. 

As far as Reed website information goes I will be speaking to my US Sales rep about trying to expand the Comic presence at the MCM shows.  I cannot guarantee that they will listen or do what would meet your expectations.  Hopefully the staff at Reed UK will follow up with the Twitter media storm.  I would say it may take a little while but I seem to feel that in the US Reed does a very good job with the website and getting information out.  But don't think that  "nobody" cares.

I avoid twitter and the like. Have others been complaining then?

If comic dealers were scattered about that was because some of them chose cheaper tables.  Cheap seems to be a resounding theme with many dealers that I talk to,  both in the US and the UK.  Either they don't have the stock to setup at shows or they don't want to pay to expand their customer base.  Being under capitalized seems to be a common theme as well as the ability to want to work together where both parties come away feeling that they got a good deal.  I can't help a buyer if they have champagne taste with a beer wallet. 

Yep. Money seems the number one priority. The few dealers I spoke to - it's all they could talk about. A dealer who listens is a rarity I find. Too busy trying to impress with what they've bought / got / sold etc. 

I'm not saying you're like that Bob - next time I'll say hello. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I didn't say it was. Heritage chose to fly over and leave their booth unmanned. For the time I was there anyway.

Hard to put a number on it Bob, but I would expect it to be in excess of the regular monthly London fair. It wasn't even half of that events regular volume.  I was particulary hoping for some UK dealers from other parts of the country, the north maybe. My focus is on pence variants and pre-hero Marvels / Westerns. 

No, your stock was fine, just not what I was looking for personally. I didn't check your site as I didn't know you were going to be there. 

I avoid twitter and the like. Have others been complaining then?

Yep. Money seems the number one priority. The few dealers I spoke to - it's all they could talk about. A dealer who listens is a rarity I find. Too busy trying to impress with what they've bought / got / sold etc. 

I'm not saying you're like that Bob - next time I'll say hello. 

I'm actually glad that there are posters who post their expectations.  I've never been to the London Monthly fair so I don't know what to measure the London supercon I used to do and now Reed MCM against.  My experience with the London Supercon dealer pool was the reluctance to support John's show when he started.  Other promoters also didn't like the competition and frankly what I know about how promoters behave would make you ill.  Business is just as cuthroat in the UK as it is in the US as well as Canada as far as conventions go.  

Pence variants is not something I would have.  I have two magazine boxes of pre-hero Marvels as well as a large collection of Westerns that I would never bring over to the UK.  That would have to be requested by a customer. 

Money is always the number one priority when it comes to shows.  Underneath all the "love for the hobby" posturing are people who are there to make a living.  We just so happen to be selling collectibles/art/toyes/sketches/information etc to make that living or pick up some "side money".  How you approach your business really depends on who taught you. 

Sometimes I look at the dealer/customer relationship as some sort of good versus evil battle and depending on what side you are on determines who goes on what side.  

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm actually glad that there are posters who post their expectations.  I've never been to the London Monthly fair so I don't know what to measure the London supercon I used to do and now Reed MCM against.  My experience with the London Supercon dealer pool was the reluctance to support John's show when he started.  Other promoters also didn't like the competition and frankly what I know about how promoters behave would make you ill.  Business is just as cuthroat in the UK as it is in the US as well as Canada as far as conventions go.  

Pence variants is not something I would have.  I have two magazine boxes of pre-hero Marvels as well as a large collection of Westerns that I would never bring over to the UK.  That would have to be requested by a customer. 

Money is always the number one priority when it comes to shows.  Underneath all the "love for the hobby" posturing are people who are there to make a living.  We just so happen to be selling collectibles/art/toyes/sketches/information etc to make that living or pick up some "side money".  How you approach your business really depends on who taught you. 

Sometimes I look at the dealer/customer relationship as some sort of good versus evil battle and depending on what side you are on determines who goes on what side.  

I bought from you a few times years back when I was a Spidey completist and the service was always top notch Bob. I'll come say hello in October.  

1 hour ago, herc2000 said:

Was a massive show, but only about 10 comic dealers, with which only about three were worth looking at in my opinion.

Why is it even called comic con, cosplay con or something :-(

Who or what were you hoping to see at the show?  Maybe my term "expectations" should be changed to "hope" when I post in Convention threads.

My HONEST hope is that I find high grade priced where I can make money,  Or keys that I need for customers,  or books that are hard to find.  If I'm honest with myself sometimes that hope doesn't translate into what the convention can deliver.   MCM will NEVER be a true comic convention but that doesn't mean you can't find what you are looking for if you are looking for stuff that dealers can bring to the show.   However as I stated earlier sometimes I HOPE that I can find a dealer at a show that doesn't know what stuff is worth,  or is willing to discount a lot to meet my "budget".   Then I can post in the thread my "haul" and get some attaboys.

There are plenty of comic cons in the US that don't deliver on My or collector's hope either.

Edited by blazingbob