• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCM Comic Con London 24-26 May 2019
1 1

177 posts in this topic

I also went to this show and actually had a pretty good time. 

I purchased 3 really nice comics from HighGradeComics (should have got more) and a smattering from the other dealers.

Got some art from Lee Townsend that my daughter was extremely happy with.

Got to meet the guys at TPUB and buy a couple more books from Neil Gibson (love his Twisted Dark Stuff)

Chatted with a few other authors/artists and purchased some new titles for me to try.

Purchased some exclusive Funko Pop toys which i personally hate, but went down very well with my nephews who are avid collectors.

Went to a couple of the free talks which were surprisingly interesting.

Of course there was room for improvement, I wish there were more dealers who sold what i collect at bargain prices, but i'm more than happy to settle for a dealer with a nice variety of stock who is not trying to rip me off.

I wish the dealers who were there would put prices on their wall books i could actually read, There are only so many times you can ask to look at a book, only to find out that our ideas on what the comic is worth differ somewhat. Happy for you to price the books how you want, but it would save wasting my time and yours.

Also one dealer who i wont name, priced their books at a significant mark-up to their website, I found this to be a strange practice.

For me though the positives outweighed the negatives so will hopefully be going to the one in October

I'd also like to thank Marwood i think it was, for bringing up the comic mart, I haven't been for years and am glad to hear it's still going, will be checking that out in the near future.

2 hours ago, NeverEnoughComics said:

I wish the dealers who were there would put prices on their wall books i could actually read, There are only so many times you can ask to look at a book, only to find out that our ideas on what the comic is worth differ somewhat. Happy for you to price the books how you want, but it would save wasting my time and yours.

Isn't this the Mother F-ing truth. My favorite is when dealers roll their eyes and have to get up out of that chair to hand me a book that I can't read the price tag on from afar BECAUSE IF I COULD YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO GET UP OUT OF YOUR CHAIR.

Edited by NoMan

35 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Isn't this the Mother F-ing truth. My favorite is when dealers roll their eyes and have to get up out of that chair to hand me a book that I can't read the price tag on from afar BECAUSE IF I COULD YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO GET UP OUT OF YOUR CHAIR.

Not a criticism but a question.  Besides a post it note what other price sticker can be read from 4-6 feet away?  How big?    

Post it notes bring up posts that prices are different then the website.

Frankly post it notes don't look professional.

I'm sorry but my prices are on the back since most customers want to see the book and not my price when handling it.

bob

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Not a criticism but a question.  Besides a post it note what other price sticker can be read from 4-6 feet away?  How big?    

Post it notes bring up posts that prices are different then the website.

Frankly post it notes don't look professional.

I'm sorry but my prices are on the back since most customers want to see the book and not my price when handling it.

bob

I don't know distance/size, bob. I know many dealers have prices that can't be read from where I'm standing and where books are. (As fella above posted and I've posted many times.) So I gotta ask, Dealer. Dealer seem to be hassled by this like I'm bugging him, so it's like put the price so I can read it so I don't have to bug you.

I've bought from you. I introduced myself at Wonder Con so you invited me back behind the table. Problem solved. I could see prices. I'd ask about a book. You'd pick it off wall and show it to me.

But yeah, if I was a dealer and it bothered me to get up, get a book off wall to show someone the price, I'd make the price BIG!

So if the problem is post it notes reflect a different price than a dealer's website, man, I dunno, I just want to be able to see the prices so as not to bug people. If I've got 5 grand for Book X and I see Book X for 100 grand on the wall, well, I'm not gonna ask to see it. I can make a decision, like, wow I'm really out of the ball park with Book X guess I gotta save up some money. Otherwise a dealer just treats me like "i'm kicking tires." And as the poster said above and I can't agree enough: I save my time, and you save your time.

Edited by NoMan

For my part, i don't ask to look at a book unless i'm interested in buying it, part of that decision is how much the book is priced at. I'm not looking for a gift but if someone is pricing their books at 2x or 3x what i am willing to pay, then i'm just asking them to put the books straight back on the wall. I'm a Brit and can only do this a few times before it gets embarrassing for me. Now to be clear this comment is not aimed at you Bob, as i purchased a couple of your wall books and you did not make me feel like i was inconveniencing you when i asked to look at them.

With regards to my comment about prices at the show being higher than that of a dealers website, i had one dealer in mind (who was not you) who always does this, it's not a problem because if i like a book i just buy it for the cheaper price on their website, i just find it an odd practice. It must work though or why would they keep doing it.

5 hours ago, NeverEnoughComics said:

For my part, i don't ask to look at a book unless i'm interested in buying it, part of that decision is how much the book is priced at. I'm not looking for a gift but if someone is pricing their books at 2x or 3x what i am willing to pay, then i'm just asking them to put the books straight back on the wall. I'm a Brit and can only do this a few times before it gets embarrassing for me. Now to be clear this comment is not aimed at you Bob, as i purchased a couple of your wall books and you did not make me feel like i was inconveniencing you when i asked to look at them.

With regards to my comment about prices at the show being higher than that of a dealers website, i had one dealer in mind (who was not you) who always does this, it's not a problem because if i like a book i just buy it for the cheaper price on their website, i just find it an odd practice. It must work though or why would they keep doing it.

This, this, this, this, and this

11 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Just an fyi but most buyers that aren't serious start with "I'm just curious".  

I feel for ya. If I'm not serious, I don't leave the house. 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I feel for ya. If I'm not serious, I don't leave the house. 

Again,  not picking on you on this but should I post all the times I'm taking books off the wall for the following

"Can I just hold it"

"Can I take a picture with it"

"OMG,  is it real,  can I touch it"

"I bet its $20K,  OMG it's 50K"

"Honey,  buy me this for my birthday"

"When I win the lottery I'll be back for this"

"Does somebody really buy these"

Yup,  the glamour life I live.  

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Again,  not picking on you on this but should I post all the times I'm taking books off the wall for the following

"Can I just hold it"

Again, Bob, with all due respect to you:

I'm sure it's tough working a con. As I've posted here numerous times I have sometimes volunteered my help with the owner of my LCS when he sets up a cons here in Southern California so I would know what it's like to stand on the opposite side of the table, so no, you don't need to post those things as I've heard them before although I'm sure not as many times as you have.

Would you like to hear my glamours life/job of crewing on Hollywood productions so as to have money to buy comics?

Edited by NoMan

Here, you wanna listen to this sh*t over an 18 hour day? I remember the sexy chic on the bike knocked it over while slithering all over it during a shot and it fell over on her and she started crying. What else? Gene Simmons "produced" this horrid band. No one could take his picture on set because he was in the process of getting a hair weave. 

You wanna feel sorry for someone, than here, I did this for money.

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Here, you wanna listen to this sh*t over an 18 hour day? I remember the sexy chic on the bike knocked it over while slithering all over it during a shot and it fell over on her and she started crying. What else? Gene Simmons "produced" this horrid band. No one could take his picture on set because he was in the process of getting a hair weave. 

LOL.  Wow,  now that is a typical 80's hair band metal formula used by many.  Peroxide,  drum stick spinning,  shirts off,  girls on motorcycles.  I think Gene pretty much covered everything with that video.  

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

And I though Warrant killed metal.  Turns out, I was wrong.  Very wrong. 

8 hours ago, blazingbob said:

"Can I just hold it"

Don't forget, "Are you REALLY interested in moving this book?" Then bam!!  Offers you half asking price!!  Weeeeeeeeeee!!

Ive seen it, and seen it at Bob's booth FYI.

Jeff

22 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Just an fyi but most buyers that aren't serious start with "I'm just curious".  

I don't think that buyers aren't serious, I just think they're shocked by how much some books have increased in price by over the last few years. If I'm "just curious", what I'm thinking is "Holy!#@%! why has the price of that book gone up by 600% in 2-3 years!"

1 hour ago, mrc said:

I don't think that buyers aren't serious, I just think they're shocked by how much some books have increased in price by over the last few years. If I'm "just curious", what I'm thinking is "Holy!#@%! why has the price of that book gone up by 600% in 2-3 years!"

Or....., the book is priced at twice FMV.  Whatever that is.

I like to be able to see prices since it is the 1st pass filter many times of whether it is worth going beyond "looking" at what is on the wall. If I see a dealer with a Batman 42 in 8.0 and I can see they have it priced at $10k, I know to move on, not worth my time to even look at it.  If I can't see the price, then I waste my time and the dealers time asking about the book and then seeing the price which is beyond what I would pay.  Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I like to be able to see prices since it is the 1st pass filter many times of whether it is worth going beyond "looking" at what is on the wall. If I see a dealer with a Batman 42 in 8.0 and I can see they have it priced at $10k, I know to move on, not worth my time to even look at it.  If I can't see the price, then I waste my time and the dealers time asking about the book and then seeing the price which is beyond what I would pay.  Just my opinion.

agree , this collector won't even inquire if there is not at least a visible price to start with and i would not think that post it notes would be considered unprofessional at all for wall books

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

agree , this collector won't even inquire if there is not at least a visible price to start with and i would not think that post it notes would be considered unprofessional at all for wall books

If people are concerned with them looking unprofessional, maybe put a smily face in the corner or a couple of hearts.

49 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

If people are concerned with them looking unprofessional, maybe put a smily face in the corner or a couple of hearts.

Or a rigid middle finger...,