• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Comics robbed!?!
4 4

283 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, october said:

$23,000 for an Avengers 1 in 2.0 and a JLA 1 in 6.0. 

Oooookay. Only $19,500 too high, but who is counting?

Cut Chuck a break, will ya? rantrant

He needs his weed/pottery spending money, darn it! :whee:

1 hour ago, october said:

Oooookay. Only $19,500 too high, but who is counting?

Chuck’s insurance company.

1 hour ago, wolverine180 said:

I am assuming that this will be turned into his insurance as a claim. If it is, couldnt this be considered insurance fraud? Since the prices claimed are astronomical. Or is that up to insurance adjuster to tell him he smoked to much before he made that list. 

15 minutes ago, Park said:

Chuck’s insurance company.

My LCS as a teenager and college student was next to another business that one day sprung a water leak.   The LCS (that is no longer in business anyway) decided to inflate prices and took a hose to 90's dreck to increase the damage before the adjuster reviewed the evidence of the claim. 

He received everything he asked for. 

So, who knows what something is 'worth'.

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My LCS as a teenager and college student was next to another business that one day sprung a water leak.   The LCS (that is no longer in business anyway) decided to inflate prices and took a hose to 90's dreck to increase the damage before the adjuster reviewed the evidence of the claim. 

No doubt that many people get away with insurance fraud.

In this day and age with so many resources available to anyone with an internet connection, verifying the actual value of comic books should be pretty easy.

If the adjuster went with the most outdated and erroneous published source of values, The Overstreet Price Guide, he/she still wouldn’t come within shouting distance of those values.

Also, what a news article says and what Chuck submits to his insurance are two different things.

With all that being said, I’m putting down big money on the insurance company paying out double what the news articles claim.

’Merica!!!

32 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Thats horrible that people are like that. But it doesnt suprise me one bit. 

11 minutes ago, Park said:

Also, what a news article says and what Chuck submits to his insurance are two different things

I would think he would do himself a big diservice if he spout 42k to news and social media. Then claimed something far less and believable to insurance company. That would be a huge red flag to investigate. 

6 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

I would think he would do himself a big diservice if he spout 42k to news and social media. Then claimed something far less and believable to insurance company. That would be a huge red flag to investigate. 

What he quoted could have been based on what the police wanted him to quote.  When I worked retail we had a guy snatch and run with about $400 worth of console games. He literally just grabbed as many as he could from the shelf in the plastic alarm cases and ran out the front door.  Once the cops got there they wanted us to inflate the prices to make it grand theft.  We wouldn't but it is what they wanted to make it a larger charge and harder to get out of for the guy.

In the end the guy was homeless and living under the steps of our warehouse.  Was sad really.

4 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

What he quoted could have been based on what the police wanted him to quote.  When I worked retail we had a guy snatch and run with about $400 worth of console games. He literally just grabbed as many as he could from the shelf in the plastic alarm cases and ran out the front door.  Once the cops got there they wanted us to inflate the prices to make it grand theft.  We wouldn't but it is what they wanted to make it a larger charge and harder to get out of for the guy.

In the end the guy was homeless and living under the steps of our warehouse.  Was sad really.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.  However. Mile high comics is know for there inflated prices. I do not believe that the cops needed to inflat his prices any further.  I have seen ridiculous prices like that on his website before. 

Edited by wolverine180

Not a lot of love here for Mile High. No biggie. Couldn’t care less. 

As I’ve said here before, I sent away for some avengers when I was about 11 from MH and listed alternates. Chuck sent all alternates in crappy condition. I sent an F- you letter back and he wrote back banning me forever. 

That was about 1978ish. Anybody predate that in telling UpChuck to F-off?

:banana: come to think of it, I jacked some of my father’s law firm letter head ( we have the same name) and started messing with him. Come to think of it, did the same with the Columbia House record club

Edited by NoMan

12 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

The threshold for grand theft is way lower than the alleged value of the books stolen

23 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.  However. Mile high comics is know for there inflated prices. I do not believe that the cops needed to inflat his prices any further.  I have seen ridiculous prices like that on his website before. 

Yeah I am in now way defending MHC and their stupidly high prices, just giving another reason why they "might" have given higher than normal, maybe? (shrug)

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The threshold for grand theft is way lower than the alleged value of the books stolen

You are correct for sure there.  Maybe they wanted to high super grand theft? :devil:

3 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

I am assuming that this will be turned into his insurance as a claim. If it is, couldnt this be considered insurance fraud? Since the prices claimed are astronomical. Or is that up to insurance adjuster to tell him he smoked to much before he made that list. 

The insurance company will want an expert to value the stolen collectibles.  Chuck is the perfect man for the job.

5 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

He won’t get Milehigh prices for those books. He will probably get enough to buy CGC replacements in grades matching his supposed grades on his issues.