• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Comics robbed!?!
4 4

283 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Here is the Liveleak video...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=LaFk_1559081855

There is definitely blood in that store. Between the broken glass shards he didn't pick up and the drips he didn't notice on his way out of the building, there's blood in lots of places.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There is definitely blood in that store. Between the broken glass shards he didn't pick up and the drips he didn't notice on his way out of the building, there's blood in lots of places.

About ten years ago the police announced they are no longer investigating property crimes in my area.  They are too busy with murders, rapes and violent assaults.  Chances of a DNA analysis to catch the crook are about NIL.  I guess Mile High could pay out of pocket but then you have the whole chain of evidence thing.  The crook is one or all of three things:

Poor

Drug addict

Homeless

He is going to get 3 days in Jail and 6 months of unsupervised probation if caught.  Sad but true...

6 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

About ten years ago the police announced they are no longer investigating property crimes in my area.  They are too busy with murders, rapes and violent assaults.  Chances of a DNA analysis to catch the crook are about NIL.  I guess Mile High could pay out of pocket but then you have the whole chain of evidence thing.  The crook is one or all of three things:

Poor

Drug addict

Homeless

He is going to get 3 days in Jail and 6 months of unsupervised probation if caught.  Sad but true...

This. Most metropolitan areas (sadly) have bigger fish to fry. Pretty sure a DNA search isn't in the near future. 

2 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Poor

Drug addict

Homeless

Cool, man. Until your post I didn't realize thievery was exclusive to the poor. 

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

It's the only way to get rich quick, dontcha know.  At $42k a pop this guy only needs 100 more marks to retire!

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

True, the biggest crooks wear 2000 dollar suits...

My comment on poor was not derogatory it simply meant recovering any money will be impossible..

Edited by Karl Liebl

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

I hear ya. Just came off as a little crass. Sorry.

Who knows who did it? I believe the cops are buried acting as the last line safety net of the walking wounded that seem to populate the streets these days. I wish they could get back to policing, as they probably do, too.

Someone earlier in this thread said some LCS owner purposely watered his comics to collect insurance. Wonder if he was poor, drug addicted and homeless.

Edited by NoMan

My comment on poor was not derogatory it simply meant recovering any money will be impossible..

again, I appreciate your input.

For an exercise (cause I'm bored, if you're not, I understand) Let's say this guy is a poor, homeless, drug addict. What's he gonna possibly do with this stuff unless he's got a regular fence, which is entirely possible. 

I feel sorry for Chuck.  Nobody should be victim of theft.  It must suck.

I wonder if the thief knew much about comics.  It looks like he left some old Hulk's and Spideys, an FF #1 and a Tales to Astonish #27 (if I correctly recognized them).  The thief took a Tales to Astonish #54 and left a #27?  He took FF #52 and left #1 and 12?  Odd.

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

again, I appreciate your input.

For an exercise (cause I'm bored, if you're not, I understand) Let's say this guy is a poor, homeless, drug addict. What's he gonna possibly do with this stuff unless he's got a regular fence, which is entirely possible. 

He is going to sell them for 200 bucks, what else hehe...

31 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I feel sorry for Chuck.  Nobody should be victim of theft.  It must suck.

I wonder if the thief knew much about comics.  It looks like he left some old Hulk's and Spideys, an FF #1 and a Tales to Astonish #27 (if I correctly recognized them).  The thief took a Tales to Astonish #54 and left a #27?  He took FF #52 and left #1 and 12?  Odd.

Agree:  no wrongs ever make a right.  This is bad for all stakeholders involved.  I think the thief is a non-collector that had a general awareness that fancy-looking, old comics sitting in a display case that is basically at waist-level are easy pickings and have to be worth something.  I'm sure Mile High is pouring over security cam video of the last 60 days or so (from that same camera location) to see if they can find a similar 'body type' of a customer that matches this crook, who is white, somewhat big and overweight and likely viewed the glass cased-comics before.  Prepare to see more and more of this garbage (look what happened to Harley Yee at the Berkeley show) as word is already out that comics are (i) valuable, (ii) portable and (iii) generally easy to convert to cash.

That dude was shopping for comics he wanted for himself.

He walks back and forth several times and grabs one here and one there and goes back to several of the cases twice.

He was shopping. 

1 minute ago, Park said:

That dude was shopping for comics he wanted for himself.

He walks back and forth several times and grabs one here and one there and goes back to several of the cases twice.

He was shopping. 

I think you are correct...

27 minutes ago, zosocane said:

'body type' of a customer that matches this crook, who is white, somewhat big and overweight 

That is 95% of this board and probably 90% of the customers in that store. lol

He knew what he was taking. He might be poor and addicted to drugs but this wasn’t a crime of opportunity, it was a planned robbery. I would suspect inside job first, someone who had been browsing around that week second, and insurance scam third. This isn’t the same robber who breaks your window for the change in your cup holder.

as far as police not pursuing property crimes, I think you spoke to a hyperbolic cop who didn’t know what the hell he was talking about. They might not pursue them quite the same they will a serial killer, but they still come out, collect evidence, take reports, and follow through on any leads. That’s about as much work as they’d put into a drive by shooting. It’s just sometimes there is no evidence and there is no lead. 

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

He knew what he was taking. He might be poor and addicted to drugs but this wasn’t a crime of opportunity, it was a planned robbery. I would suspect inside job first, someone who had been browsing around that week second, and insurance scam third. This isn’t the same robber who breaks your window for the change in your cup holder.

as far as police not pursuing property crimes, I think you spoke to a hyperbolic cop who didn’t know what the hell he was talking about. They might not pursue them quite the same they will a serial killer, but they still come out, collect evidence, take reports, and follow through on any leads. That’s about as much work as they’d put into a drive by shooting. It’s just sometimes there is no evidence and there is no lead. 

It was in the news here when the economy was in the toilet.  I got cleaned out once for about 20000.  They sent 2 civilian patrol assistants (unpaid).  No evidence taken, they asked for a list which i gave.  I called a month later, no news.  Never heard back again.  They busted the entire metal door and door jamb out and even took the fridge.  Neighbors were home 10 feet away, didnt hear anything at 8 am.  Lesson learned.  Insurance is your best friend.

Now let me ask you this...  If you robbed say a rolex store at gunpoint for 20000 I think it would have been investigated more vigorously, not so for the average Joe.  Anybody can take anything you have at any time and none of it is worth your two front teeth.  There might come a time when the average Joe decides he's had enough.  God bless Texas.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I didn't want to seem as negative as I generally am, but if I had to go to Vegas and lay down a bet about the hows and whys of this robbery, I would bet as you say.