• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Comics robbed!?!
4 4

283 posts in this topic

As someone who is responsible for our alarm system in our building (not a security guard, agent), why wasn't there motion detectors?  Unless the business doesn't want to pay a full alarm system.  If the motion alarm was in place, you better be gone in minutes.  Listening to the owner's interview, he seemed more carefree about it.     

From @Hudson :foryou:

I received an email from Chuck today.  It started like this...

Our Memorial Day weekend was filled with drama, but not in a good way. At approximately 5 AM on Sunday morning we had someone break in through the rear door of Jason St. He then proceeded to walk our front area of the store, where we have five 6' tall cases filled with our most significant back issues. He smashed the doors off three of those cases, and then chose 14 comics to steal, which had a net retail value of $42,000+.

Obviously my FIRST "question" is in relation to that final sentence.  Is that "net retail value of $42,000+" a "Mile High retail value" or an "actual FMV retail value"?

My second "question" is really just an "observation".  It seems to me, I recall Chuck sending me an email back in May 2017, telling of how 70 massive skylights had"simultaneously shattered" at his "Mega-Store", during a hail storm, causing estimated damages in excess of $100,000.

Seems May is not a good month for Chuck OR his insurance company!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, I do hope that they catch whoever broke into Chuck's store and stole his books

Im my opinion, comic thieves should be pilloried and publically shamed.  However, count me in as one of the people who have no sympathy for Chucky at all.  Has Mile High been any benefit to the comic industry at all in this millenium, or is he just a raving lunatic we wish would ride off into the sunset?

2 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Im my opinion, comic thieves should be pilloried and publically shamed.  However, count me in as one of the people who have no sympathy for Chucky at all.  Has Mile High been any benefit to the comic industry at all in this millenium, or is he just a raving lunatic we wish would ride off into the sunset?

hm:juggle:

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

Asking high prices is not thievery... a true thief on the other hand, steals more than just property... that property represents your time, your resources... every thief in effect steals a portion of your life.  Nobody deserves that just because of the price tags on their products.

Aside from all the jesting in here, This comments you said is something I do agree. When I said in my post “no sympathy from me”, I will stand on that. Why? It is because of Chuck’s dishonest statements on his prices. Period. That’s all. Granted, the thief did stole his books which is no good to a comic book dealer with a store anywhere ... be it in a show or in a store.  Nobody deserves that after all the work went in these books. 

I’m surprised that police didn’t take the thief’s blood into their inspection report to follow up to find out thief’s ID. Surely that would speed up in arresting him? Whatever...

20 hours ago, Park said:

That is 95% of this board and probably 90% of the customers in that store. lol

giphy (1).gif

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

I have my own Bookery price guide that I've compiled so that we remain consistent on what we pay for collectibles and what we charge for them (barring periodic updates for any major market swings).  So given Chuck's list, I can figure exactly what we would charge for those same items.  Now I don't know anything about the McFarlane art or the Superman certificate, but the 13 comics he lists he values at about $39,500.  At our store, we would sell them for $8,800.  That's a pretty massive difference.  If I priced like MH, I guarantee I would be out of business in under 90 days.  So I have no idea how he survives all of these decades.  But it apparently works for him.

HOWEVER... that said, nobody is ever under any obligation to buy his books.  Chuck doesn't twist anybody's arm, or extort them into buying his products.  A thief gives you no decision, no choices.  Your stuff is gone, your property damaged.  Insurance claims all always unpredictable and tricky, and at the very least, your rates will go up for having made said claims.  Asking high prices is not thievery... a true thief on the other hand, steals more than just property... that property represents your time, your resources... every thief in effect steals a portion of your life.  Nobody deserves that just because of the price tags on their products.

I would consider it thievery if Chuck tried to get $42000 from his insurance for those comics

24 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I would consider it thievery if Chuck tried to get $42000 from his insurance for those comics

He would have to have them appraised, or have them listed-and-approved at a certain price, right?

Obviously I have literally no understanding of business insurance whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I read on Instagram that A-1 Comics had a very high grade New Mutants #98 stolen from one of their stores. They have his mug clearly on camera. Between stores and convention dealers, this has become an all to common occurrence. Very sad that our hobby has come to this...:sorry:

I blame Marvel Studios.

Seriously, though, the theft is starting to ____ me off. All it does is further inflate prices. And, that, without people actually buying anything.

TwoPiece for President 2024. I will run on the single platform of higher punishment for any/all collectible abuse.

Edited by TwoPiece
Censored.

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I blame Marvel Studios.

Seriously, though, the theft is starting to ____ me off. All it does is further inflate prices. And, that, without people actually buying anything.

TwoPiece for President 2024. I will run on the single platform of higher punishment for any/all collectible abuse.

Need a VP?  I am all for "off with their hands" punishment.  No reform for the crooks!

20 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

It was in the news here when the economy was in the toilet.  I got cleaned out once for about 20000.  They sent 2 civilian patrol assistants (unpaid).  No evidence taken, they asked for a list which i gave.  I called a month later, no news.  Never heard back again.  They busted the entire metal door and door jamb out and even took the fridge.  Neighbors were home 10 feet away, didnt hear anything at 8 am.  Lesson learned.  Insurance is your best friend.

Now let me ask you this...  If you robbed say a rolex store at gunpoint for 20000 I think it would have been investigated more vigorously, not so for the average Joe.  Anybody can take anything you have at any time and none of it is worth your two front teeth.  There might come a time when the average Joe decides he's had enough.  God bless Texas.

giphy.gif