• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Comics robbed!?!
4 4

283 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bookery said:

the 13 comics he lists he values at about $39,500.  At our store, we would sell them for $8,800.  That's a pretty massive difference.  If I priced like MH, I guarantee I would be out of business in under 90 days.  So I have no idea how he survives all of these decades.  But it apparently works for him.

I work in government, and I can tell you that MANY, MANY people believe they get what they pay for... if they pay $10,000,000 for a computer system that doesn't work, they just think they should have gone with the $20,000,000 bid.  Nevermind that the system could be purchased for $2,500,000 from someone who knows what they're doing.  People buy a $1,000 book from Mile High with one of his 50% discounts and brag how they bought a $2,000 book for $1,000.  They don't even bother checking that it's available elsewhere for $250.  If they only paid $250, they wouldn't get to brag about the $2,000 and the 50% off. :|

Let's address the blood left behind issue because I see posts on here where this would 'lead to obvious evidence of the crook.'  This ain't a murder case...nor is it a kidnapping or anything else remotely close to that magnitude.  Yes, they have and hopefully collected evidence of his DNA but we're talking 12K max of merch here...there's not going to be an APB nationwide over this guy.  Most likely he'll try to re-sell at some point and will be caught then (or if he was hurt badly enough he'd have to check into a hospital).  His stupidity will get him caught, not his DNA.  Law Enforcement has enough to deal with that is way more important than to put this insufficiently_thoughtful_person's DNA into a national database (I would much rather them focus their efforts on the murderers and other high level criminals for those resources).  This doesn't warrant that...even if it sucks that it happened.  It's only a matter of time till he gets caught using either good old fashioned police work or just his idiocy against him.

Also, did anyone else notice he lost one of his 'booties' he was wearing to cover up his footprints?  He really bumbled this job...showed his face, left footprints, and DNA...clearly we're dealing with a mastermind here lol 

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I work in government, and I can tell you that MANY, MANY people believe they get what they pay for... if they pay $10,000,000 for a computer system that doesn't work, they just think they should have gone with the $20,000,000 bid.  Nevermind that the system could be purchased for $2,500,000 from someone who knows what they're doing.  People buy a $1,000 book from Mile High with one of his 50% discounts and brag how they bought a $2,000 book for $1,000.  They don't even bother checking that it's available elsewhere for $250.  If they only paid $250, they wouldn't get to brag about the $2,000 and the 50% off. :|

People are obsessed with price tags. One of the dumbest 'brags' ever.

It's why (insert group insult here) buy JW Blue Label at whatever ridiculous cost it is today instead of Macallan or Glenmorangie Signet. JW Blue is pure trash compared to literally any/every single malt...

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

He would have to have them appraised, or have them listed-and-approved at a certain price, right?

Obviously I have literally no understanding of business insurance whatsoever.

He won’t get the 42k, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t try

12 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

He won’t get the 42k, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t try

The lack of higher-grade security, I would suspect, will reduce his payout.

As the insurance agent, I would be concerned that allegedly "$42k" of goods weren't as safe/secure as possible.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

People are obsessed with price tags. One of the dumbest 'brags' ever.

It's why (insert group insult here) buy JW Blue Label at whatever ridiculous cost it is today instead of Macallan or Glenmorangie Signet. JW Blue is pure trash compared to literally any/every single malt...

I am going to have to respectfully disagree here.  When I got my first bottle of Blue Label I felt the same way.  I thought the single malts were much more distinctive and I felt like I had wasted my money.  The reality was my palate was just not developed enough to pick out exactly what I was paying for in the Blue Label.  On later attempts I began to notice very rich, oily, textures and a very exquisite balance that the Blue Label had, things that single malts necessarilly would have a very hard time acheiving.  Don't get me wrong, there are many fantastic single malts out there like Glenmorangie, Glenfarclas, Laphroig, Lagavulin, etc, but it is wrong to suggest that some one who buys a bottle of one of the finest widely available whiskeys out there does so out of ignorance.     

Edited by Von Cichlid
rewording

Just now, Von Cichlid said:

I am going to have to respectfully disagree here.  When I got my first bottle of Blue Label I felt the same way.  I thought the single malts were much more distinctive and I felt like I had wasted my money.  The reality was my palate was just not developed enough to pick out exactly what I was paying for in the Blue Label.  On later attempts I began to notice very rich, oily, textures and a very exquisite balance that the Blue Label had, things that no single malts necessarilly would have a very hard time acheiving.  When I worked at the liquor store those years ago, I noticed a tendency for newer converts to the world of single malts to be dismissive torwards the blends.  And don't get me wrong, there are many fantastic single malts out there like Glenmorangie, Glenfarclas, Laphroig, Lagavulin, etc, but to me it is pretty silly to suggest that some one who buys a bottle of one of the finest widely available whiskeys out there does so out of ignorance.     

Any amateur hour can devise their own blended scotch at home, better than Blue Label, for a fraction of the price.

Blended scotches are not "bad" by default. Blue Label is ridiculously overpriced, by hundreds of percent, for what it is.

It's not as "complex" as the sum of its parts. In fact, blends primarily exist to mask the presumed defects of its counterparts. It's like freezing a bottle to numb its stronger/undesired flavor(s).

Famous Grouse is better and at a fraction of the cost. If Blue Label were about $75 I probably wouldn't have a gripe.

You're both wrong. All Scotch tastes like grandma's purse.

Edited by F For Fake

36 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

You're both wrong. All Scotch tastes like grandma's purse.

Well sophistication and class isn't suitable for everyone.

JW Blue label IS overpriced for the record. Give me almost anything from Springbank or Highland Park for much less $$$

15 minutes ago, Lobo1969 said:

Well sophistication and class isn't suitable for everyone.

What are you trying to say? 

hqdefault.jpg

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Ha, it's not just in government this garbage happens. I bet after making these decisions to pay $10,000,000 for something you know could have been had for $2,500,000 your superiors turn around and tell you to find way to cut costs in your department. When you point out your facts to them, they probably say something like we have a contract with XYZ company and we have no choice but to pay that price, now shut up and find ways to shave your budget.

8 hours ago, evilskip said:
  9 hours ago, Dan82 said:

I was after a wise crack, then I saw the video. This fool showed the whole world his crack then bought a whole load of crack. But did he crack the books? And will the pigs crack the case? 

709912274_2019-05-30(1).thumb.png.444c0a4577623d28ccf223353b630551.png

This case will be solved quickly by a Crack detective

inspectorclouseau.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 10:08 PM, Norinn Radd said:

From the article:

Mile High Comics is known for its large collection. The store has some of the rarest and most expensive comic books in the world.

Well, some of the most expensive at least.