Thoughts on the rule: "State a specific price range that you WILL buy for"
6 6

42 posts in this topic

14 posts

Hi all,

We've noticed a large number of threads lately that don't include a price range the thread creator is willing to pay for the item they're looking for. We wanted to get opinions from buyers and sellers on this forum about this rule.

Do you think the rule makes sense as-is, and that we should be more strict in removing threads that don't give some sort of price range? Or do you think it would be better to change this rule, and not require buyers to give an indication of what they're willing to pay?

Ultimately we'll make our own judgment (and it may diverge from any consensus that may form in this thread), but we wanted to give everyone an opportunity to share their thoughts.

For reference, you can find the rules here.

EDIT: Thank you all for your input. You all introduced some great points from varying perspectives.

We’ve decided to update this rule in the guidelines for use as follows:

State a specific price range that you WILL buy for (depending on condition / grade). You may also state that you are open to offers outside of the range (similar to an "or best offer" statement from a seller). You may also site a SPECIFIC price guide source and a % variation from there that you are willing to pay. 
Stating a specific price range is no longer required. However, we do encourage buyers to give an indication of the price they’re willing to pay. The more specific you are, the more likely a seller will take the time to help you out.

Thank you!

12,505 posts

I myself don’t find it annoying when no price is listed. If you list a price you’re willing to pay it does help make people look for the book but I don’t think it should be required in a want to buy post 

532 posts

I list prices I'm willing to pay in my WTB thread, but I've never gotten the impression that it moved the needle much.  Paul~

4,738 posts

When I see a post looking for a dirt common book - read Hulk 181, GSX1, FF 48 ..., I assume the poster is looking for a hefty discount to FMV and skip over it.  There are exceptions, of course, so apologies if my broad brush got paint on you.

2,637 posts

If the poster is looking for a specific book at a specific grade (and/or Page Quality), then it would behoove them to list a price they are willing to pay.

If the poster is looking for a specific book in a given grade range, then not listing a specific price is acceptable and can be handled during the negotiation process.

Without a price, I'm less motivated to respond or even see if I may have the desired item.

2c

9,543 posts

How about a new way of applying the rule similar to the trading rule.

Sellers in all forums must list a price they are willing to sell for.

9,543 posts
57 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

When I see a post looking for a dirt common book - read Hulk 181, GSX1, FF 48 ..., I assume the poster is looking for a hefty discount to FMV and skip over it.  There are exceptions, of course, so apologies if my broad brush got paint on you.

The problem here, is would a buyer go into their LCS and announce a price for Giant-Size X-men #1?

That is not how things work elsewhere, so why here on the forums?

287 posts
1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Listing a price you are willing to pay assures you will never get a book at 1 penny less than your offer price.

It is the sellers responsibility to know what they want.  

I certainly know what I want for books I am selling. But when buying there are far too many variables in prentation to give an accurate price. All 9.0's 4.0's and such are not created equal.

This rule is bogus and needs to go.

Who would go into walmart and say "I am willing to pay $500 for a new air conditioner"

I agree. If I state that I am willing to pay $200 for a DD #7 in CGC 5.0, it is virtually guaranteed that I will get NO offers below $200.

As stated so elegantly above, "This rule is bogus and needs to go."

As a side benefit, there will be fewer posts to scan since the "Ronnie Rulebook" types won't have other people's post to correct.

Joe

4,738 posts
1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

The problem here, is would a buyer go into their LCS and announce a price for Giant-Size X-men #1?

That is not how things work elsewhere, so why here on the forums?

Because - the internet.

1,224 posts

I appreciate a price (or range) listed, but I don't think it should be required.  For example, everyone knows what FMV on a common book is and I'd expect buyer/seller to be in that range - as where if there is an uncommon book and someone willing to pay a premium, it's probably in their best interest to say what they are willing to pay - get more sellers interested in tracking it down. 

56,516 posts

Not listing a price doesn't actively harm anyone. Sellers should know what they want, and initiate the price discussion. Buyers should be free to inquire, without committing to a price before they even see an item. Buyers who *really* want to buy something will make it known what they're willing to pay. 

Less rules and restrictions, not more.

12,505 posts

wow, when I was the first to reply to this question I thought I would get slammed for my opinion. I don't think anyone has posted that it should be required yet.

30,931 posts

I think the buyer should make this decision.  The rule doesn't work.  

3,364 posts
Posted (edited)

Why do we have to make everything so complicated?

I mean no disrespect by that either.  Just saying that sometimes micro managing every little aspect has the adverse effect of what you intend and just discourages people the other way.

@NP_Gresham  first post in this thread is bang on.

Edited by Erndog

56,516 posts
Just now, Erndog said:

Sometimes micro managing every little aspect just discourages people the other way.

I only regret that I have but one like to give for this post...

1,204 posts

I'll echo others' sentiments.  It doesn't need to be a rule.

When people don't give a price range for a book they want, I just skip over their WTB thread.  It's not like anyone is enforcing the rule as it is.  I think it's in the buyers interest to put up a price to encourage views.  Isn't the whole idea of putting a price range to finally grab that rare book you're after?

WANTED: DEAD or ALIVE $10,000

675 posts
Posted (edited)

IMO the main reason why we should keep the current policy of requiring a poster to provide a price and/or a percentage of GPA (for CGC comics) is because it will increase traffic in the WTB forum.  Currently very few members read it and the main reason is the WTB board has a bad reputation.  I have had countless members tell me that they stopped reading it years ago because they got tired of spending time looking for comics only to receive asinine low ball offers.

I have had ample examples where I spent hours looking for comics and grading them only to find out the poster was offering 25% of FMV.  If I had known up front what he/she was offering I could have saved myself the trouble of wasting half my Saturday afternoon.  And that’s the problem.  After having this happen a couple of times most members will stop reading the WTB forum and this hurts the entire community.   When members stop reading the WTB forum it decreases the chances of collectors finding the items they need.

Personally I have placed ample WTB threads and on every occasion besides the first year I was a member I always list the price I’m willing to pay.  I have also sold ample comics via the WTB thread and only twice was it to a collector who did not list a price.  I actually have some data on this.  The last 27 members I contacted that did not list a price they were willing to pay resulted in one transaction.  On the other hand the last 14 collectors I contacted that actually listed a price resulted in 13 transactions. The difference is staggering.

Here’s the thing guys if the board operators decide to get rid of the rule to list a price I’m fine with it.  Like most of you this is just a hobby for me and it’s really not that important.  Like most members I will stop responding to posters who don’t list a price and will spend less time reading the WTB forum.  Hopefully the rule will stay in place otherwise I honestly believe the traffic in the WTB forum will remain low. 

IMO the main point that decides this debate is what’s best for the community.   I think we all agree that we all want to increase traffic.  When a collector is looking for a comic it would obviously be better if 75% of our community was reading the WTB forum instead of say 25%.  Would not having a price rule increase traffic? IMO no.  Would example #1 below be better for our community than example #2?  Do you think most members would rather respond to Example #1 or #2?  What example has a better chance of resulting in a transaction?  

Example #1 – Wanted Amazing Spider Man #300.  Looking for CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies with white pages.

Example #2 – Wanted Amazing Spider Man #300.  I’m looking for a centered CGC 9.8 copy and I’m willing to pay 120% of current 90 day GPA.  If you think you have a 9.8 centered copy please send me a scan.

Edited by raybowles