Thoughts on the rule: "State a specific price range that you WILL buy for"
6 6

42 posts in this topic

30,438 posts

The needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.  :preach:

171 posts
1 hour ago, raybowles said:

IMO the main reason why we should keep the current policy of requiring a poster to provide a price and/or a percentage of GPA (for CGC comics) is because it will increase traffic in the WTB forum.  Currently very few members read it and the main reason is the WTB board has a bad reputation.  I have had countless members tell me that they stopped reading it years ago because they got tired of spending time looking for comics only to receive asinine low ball offers.

So, we have the current rule in place, and the WTB board has a bad reputation. Can you suggest something that would lead more users to come back to the WTB board?

I scan the WTB board every day. Unless someone wants to buy a book that I may purchase some day in the future, I don't read the post. Otherwise, I may read the post just out of curiosity.

I see your point. However, what I'm tired of is the "Ronnie Rulebook" users who have appointed themselves as the "sheriff" of the WTB board. If someone wants to buy an ASM #300 in CGC 9.8, and s/he doesn't post a price that s/he is willing to pay, then just ignore his/her post. Problem solved.

So, after this post, I guess I'm OK with leaving the current rule as is. However, to make this work, NO one should respond to a user that has failed to post a "will pay" amount. Or, if you want to be the "sheriff", then send them a PM about the missing "will pay" amount. After a while, people will start to figure things out.

Again, I'm just tired of reading the countless posts where the same 2-3 users are chastising a poster for his/her lapse. Send the user a PM, and stop cluttering up the threads. If you are one of these types, IMO, you come off as thinking you're better than the OP. Yes, YMMV.

Joe

670 posts

You make some good points and yes I will stop responding to members who dont list a price. I have done this many times but it was not to  be a sherrif. There are many that i did not respond to. I only responded when i had the comic or knew someone who did.

11,780 posts

Assuming a seller appears with a book in the range desired, I do think the buyer should make the first offer of price. Sometimes the buyer is looking to pick a book on the cheap. I remember once going to my bank vault, bringing the book home and sending pics, only to get a terrible low ball offer. You want to buy, maybe I don't necessarily want to sell. I stopped responding years ago to WTB without any hint of price range. 

55,232 posts
3 hours ago, raybowles said:

If I had known up front what he/she was offering I could have saved myself the trouble of wasting half my Saturday afternoon.

This is easily resolved by asking what the buyer is willing to pay prior to spending any time searching for it. The buyer gives you a lowball, or doesn't want to give a price, problem solved, with very little effort.

670 posts
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Assuming a seller appears with a book in the range desired, I do think the buyer should make the first offer of price. Sometimes the buyer is looking to pick a book on the cheap. I remember once going to my bank vault, bringing the book home and sending pics, only to get a terrible low ball offer. You want to buy, maybe I don't necessarily want to sell. I stopped responding years ago to WTB without any hint of price range. 

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.   This has happened to ample members and results in less traffic in the WTB forum.   IMO it should be run similar to the sellers forum.  They have established rules and the system runs great.  

542 posts
4 hours ago, raybowles said:

IMO the main reason why we should keep the current policy of requiring a poster to provide a price and/or a percentage of GPA (for CGC comics) is because it will increase traffic in the WTB forum.  Currently very few members read it and the main reason is the WTB board has a bad reputation.  I have had countless members tell me that they stopped reading it years ago because they got tired of spending time looking for comics only to receive asinine low ball offers.

I have had ample examples where I spent hours looking for comics and grading them only to find out the poster was offering 25% of FMV.  If I had known up front what he/she was offering I could have saved myself the trouble of wasting half my Saturday afternoon.  And that’s the problem.  After having this happen a couple of times most members will stop reading the WTB forum and this hurts the entire community.   When members stop reading the WTB forum it decreases the chances of collectors finding the items they need.

Personally I have placed ample WTB threads and on every occasion besides the first year I was a member I always list the price I’m willing to pay.  I have also sold ample comics via the WTB thread and only twice was it to a collector who did not list a price.  I actually have some data on this.  The last 27 members I contacted that did not list a price they were willing to pay resulted in one transaction.  On the other hand the last 14 collectors I contacted that actually listed a price resulted in 13 transactions. The difference is staggering.

Here’s the thing guys if the board operators decide to get rid of the rule to list a price I’m fine with it.  Like most of you this is just a hobby for me and it’s really not that important.  Like most members I will stop responding to posters who don’t list a price and will spend less time reading the WTB forum.  Hopefully the rule will stay in place otherwise I honestly believe the traffic in the WTB forum will remain low. 

IMO the main point that decides this debate is what’s best for the community.   I think we all agree that we all want to increase traffic.  When a collector is looking for a comic it would obviously be better if 75% of our community was reading the WTB forum instead of say 25%.  Would not having a price rule increase traffic? IMO no.  Would example #1 below be better for our community than example #2?  Do you think most members would rather respond to Example #1 or #2?  What example has a better chance of resulting in a transaction?  

Example #1 – Wanted Amazing Spider Man #300.  Looking for CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies with white pages.

Example #2 – Wanted Amazing Spider Man #300.  I’m looking for a centered CGC 9.8 copy and I’m willing to pay 120% of current 90 day GPA.  If you think you have a 9.8 centered copy please send me a scan.

This is very good, but as with some things the GPA, guide prices gets thrown out. As I am predominately a buyer, if I am looking for Phantom Lady 17, do i want to post " willing to pay $17,000"  or do i want to post the fact that I am a serious GA collector and i am looking for a grail like PL 17 and by default the price i expect will be substantial.

If i post " Looking for Phantom Lady 17, willing to pay $5,000", most people would think that's a ridiculous price and no way that is going to happen. So it will not be taken seriously. If i post 17k price does that get some PM's or responses?, yea it does.

Bottom line IMHO: If you post a price , it will be the lowest price you can expect., If you don't post a price and people check your profile, buying history,  they will see you are serious and will precipitate some offers etc.

I think its all about reputation specifically on this site. 

5,413 posts
Posted (edited)

Unless there's a price listed of what they are willing to pay, I don't even bother. Way too many times I've located books in my collection that someone needed, only to be lowballed. Even when I inquire with the poster what they're willing to pay, I get the run around. meh

Edited by mr_highgrade

42,012 posts
8 hours ago, Bird said:

wow, when I was the first to reply to this question I thought I would get slammed for my opinion. I don't think anyone has posted that it should be required yet.

Not only should a price be listed, I think the funds should be put into an interest bearing escrow account. I also believe an independent review of all sales by a body composed of three senior members( no secret mods need apply) to ensure that all fifty seven rules of transaction have been strictly adhered to should be formed as soon as practical.

677 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, GM8 said:

Make posters list the price they will pay. Otherwise this is mostly just a fishing expedition for lowballers. They can do that on ebay.

^ My sentiments exactly.

I don't want to be a sheriff either.  I usually respond to newbies that are just starting out because they should get in the habit of becoming acclimated to the boards by reading (and looking for) rules for each forum when applicable.  That or repeat offenders who post multiple vague WTB requests saturating the first page.

Edited by DST

55,232 posts
On 5/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, shadroch said:

Not only should a price be listed, I think the funds should be put into an interest bearing escrow account. I also believe an independent review of all sales by a body composed of three senior members( no secret mods need apply) to ensure that all fifty seven rules of transaction have been strictly adhered to should be formed as soon as practical.

It's nice to see shad with a sense of humor. It's a nice change of pace.

13,794 posts

I think a price range should be listed.

It is a WTB thread, if you want sellers to contact you, list a price. At least, if you are offering too low a price, the sellers will not waste time contacting you. It really bothers me when there is a WTB thread with no price range and when you contact the buyer, he sends you a low-ball offer. I feel like I totally wasted my time and I rarely contact a WTB thread without a price range now. WTB thread like "I want to buy ASM 1 or Hulk 181" without price range sounds like fishing to me.

The FS thread forums require that a seller lists a price or at least a BIN price otherwise, it would be an auction forum. I think the same logic should apply to the WTB Forum. Personally, I always list a price range in my WTB threads.

At the end of the day however, it will be Mod's decision.

8,910 posts
10 hours ago, pickycollector said:

I think a price range should be listed.

It is a WTB thread, if you want sellers to contact you, list a price. At least, if you are offering too low a price, the sellers will not waste time contacting you. It really bothers me when there is a WTB thread with no price range and when you contact the buyer, he sends you a low-ball offer. I feel like I totally wasted my time and I rarely contact a WTB thread without a price range now. WTB thread like "I want to buy ASM 1 or Hulk 181" without price range sounds like fishing to me.

The FS thread forums require that a seller lists a price or at least a BIN price otherwise, it would be an auction forum. I think the same logic should apply to the WTB Forum. Personally, I always list a price range in my WTB threads.

At the end of the day however, it will be Mod's decision.

I am sorry you have had poor results, as always in life,  Individual results may vary.

The bottom line is this, Where else in the real world does a buyer walk into a selling situation by announcing what they will pay?

This is ludicrous and places an unfair burdon on a buyer. There are tire kickers everywhere, that is the cost of doing business. 

An LCS having no prices but demanding buyers give a price would not last.

13,794 posts
1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

An LCS having no prices but demanding buyers give a price would not last.

I totally agree but that would be the equivalent of a FS thread. A seller should have prices on his books when he starts selling in the Forum, true. When I enter a FS thread, it is like if I was entering a virtual comic shop. One seller, different potential buyers.

A WTB thread is totally different: one buyer, different potential sellers.

I am not going to argue this further. The Mods have asked for our opinion. I gave mine. You gave yours. Their decision now.

12,203 posts

most people in this thread did not answer the question, which wasn't should a WTB contain a price to be effective but should a WTB post be REQUIRED to have a price. 

13,794 posts
6 minutes ago, Bird said:

most people in this thread did not answer the question, which wasn't should a WTB contain a price to be effective but should a WTB post be REQUIRED to have a price. 

I think I clearly did answer the question but some people did not answer that specific question, indeed. Maybe a poll would be more effective? How do we start one?

27,033 posts

I collect mostly hard to find books, lots of times I pay whatever the "going rate is"...and that rate might be for the one book that shows up every few years.

Sometimes I really don't know what to offer, so I rarely bother listing here. If I do, I say "over current GPA", but that's pretty useless because the current GPA might be one book sold in the past 9 years or more...or NO books sold in the past 9 years.

If we eliminate the requirement, it does not preclude those people who think they will get more replies from stating a price or range.

I agree that if you mention a price, you will never get the book for less than that price, but also...if that price just happens to be your attempt at a  guess...it would stop you from having someone toss out a price higher than the one you mentioned, when in fact, you might be willing to pay that, too... you just didn't realize it yet.

As for looking for books all day? well, you could always ask for a range if you don't have a spreadsheet...

Or  you could start a spreadsheet. @greggy is a whiz at spreadsheets:}

42,012 posts
On 6/2/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bird said:

Nothing should be required.