Maybe I missed something
1 1

35 posts in this topic

6,632 posts

Maybe I missed something, but riddle me this: why is this book so high in value?  I know it is a 9.8, but there is another 7 copies in 9.8.  Is there going to be a film?  Even if there is, it is still just Usagi Yojimbo.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26code%3D2019may%26session%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DASC%26f2%3Di.Type%2C%2Bi.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Dsortcond%26ODire3%3DDESC%26pg%3D20%23Item_1303830&id=1303830&itemType=0

3,539 posts

Thats insane!  Last recorded sale of a 9.8 was Heritage 02/2018 for $6k and change.  Would be nice to be able to at least tell if its just two bidders in a boxing match.  Will be interesting to see what the hammer price turns out to be.

37,003 posts

181.jpg.d086f4b71e342347e3f74650cb09ec17.jpg

30,742 posts

That's just plain crazy.  

5,403 posts

Sure wish I had that kind of money to bid with...Jeez...Some folks are doing pretty nice in life to bid this high.

23,964 posts

Yeah, I don't get this at all... but every time I think now is the time to cash in my collection something stupid goes on in the market that tells me to hang on longer.  The good thing if things all of a sudden steadily decline I am still in a good spot compared to what I picked up 5-9 years ago. 

30,742 posts
30 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Sure wish I had that kind of money to bid with...Jeez...Some folks are doing pretty nice in life to bid this high.

You could get a decent copy of AF15 for that.  

9,916 posts
14 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You could get a decent copy of AF15 for that.  

You think someone is spending $30k on this comic but doesn't already have an AF 15? If they don't, they probably don't want one.

6,632 posts

Sad thing is I have all of the Albedos except for #2.  :tonofbricks:

3,539 posts
1 minute ago, toro said:

Sad thing is I have all of the Albedos except for #2.  :tonofbricks:

Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the other lower number issues...

1,310 posts

The White Mountain copy of FF 5 seems to be doing quite nicely too. 

93,159 posts
1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Thats insane!  Last recorded sale of a 9.8 was Heritage 02/2018 for $6k and change.  Would be nice to be able to at least tell if its just two bidders in a boxing match.  Will be interesting to see what the hammer price turns out to be.

A 9.8 Sig Series sold for $18.5K less than a year ago, so there is some precedent for this price.

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the other lower number issues...

Actually, I think the lower grade copies are providing the support for the highest graded copy.

I sold a 9.2 for about $7K recently and prices have been rising in all lower grades recently.

1,100 posts

While it is rather high, collectors of these books generally collect indie stuff, this along with TMNT #1 and Cerberus #1 are the mega keys. The other copies may very well be in private collections, so who knows when you will see another copy. 

93,159 posts
33 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

The other copies may very well be in private collections, so who knows when you will see another copy. 

I think I slabbed and sold 3 copies in 9.8 - 2 for sure but possibly 3. I can't remember right now.

32,132 posts

Albedo 2 is one of my favorite books....but $30k+?!? Wow. 

It's been trending upward hard over the last year. Lots of very high results, both raw and slabbed. 

42,249 posts
54 minutes ago, october said:

Albedo 2 is one of my favorite books....but $30k+?!? Wow. 

It's been trending upward hard over the last year. Lots of very high results, both raw and slabbed. 

Stan has a stash of these (or at least he did 5-6 years ago.) I made a pitch to him to help him get them graded in exchange for one of them. He politely declined. He is such a cool dude, but damn I wish I had been more persuasive that day . . .

2,898 posts

Update on hammer price please?

6,632 posts
Just now, ThothAmon said:

Update on hammer price please?

It closed at the $31,000.

6,632 posts
Posted (edited)

Now I am waiting to see what this puppy goes for.

It is currently at $102,000

RAD1812A201942_115919.jpg

Edited by toro