• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe I missed something
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Maybe I missed something, but riddle me this: why is this book so high in value?  I know it is a 9.8, but there is another 7 copies in 9.8.  Is there going to be a film?  Even if there is, it is still just Usagi Yojimbo.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26code%3D2019may%26session%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DASC%26f2%3Di.Type%2C%2Bi.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Dsortcond%26ODire3%3DDESC%26pg%3D20%23Item_1303830&id=1303830&itemType=0

Yeah, I don't get this at all... but every time I think now is the time to cash in my collection something stupid goes on in the market that tells me to hang on longer.  The good thing if things all of a sudden steadily decline I am still in a good spot compared to what I picked up 5-9 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Sure wish I had that kind of money to bid with...Jeez...Some folks are doing pretty nice in life to bid this high.

You could get a decent copy of AF15 for that.  

14 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You could get a decent copy of AF15 for that.  

You think someone is spending $30k on this comic but doesn't already have an AF 15? If they don't, they probably don't want one.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Thats insane!  Last recorded sale of a 9.8 was Heritage 02/2018 for $6k and change.  Would be nice to be able to at least tell if its just two bidders in a boxing match.  Will be interesting to see what the hammer price turns out to be.

A 9.8 Sig Series sold for $18.5K less than a year ago, so there is some precedent for this price.

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the other lower number issues...

Actually, I think the lower grade copies are providing the support for the highest graded copy.

I sold a 9.2 for about $7K recently and prices have been rising in all lower grades recently.

33 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

The other copies may very well be in private collections, so who knows when you will see another copy. 

I think I slabbed and sold 3 copies in 9.8 - 2 for sure but possibly 3. I can't remember right now.

54 minutes ago, october said:

Albedo 2 is one of my favorite books....but $30k+?!? Wow. 

It's been trending upward hard over the last year. Lots of very high results, both raw and slabbed. 

Stan has a stash of these (or at least he did 5-6 years ago.) I made a pitch to him to help him get them graded in exchange for one of them. He politely declined. He is such a cool dude, but damn I wish I had been more persuasive that day . . .