• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things to be cautious about when selling
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Have you considered using an Escrow Service to facilitate the sale?

The concept is that you and your buyer find a trusted third-party. You send the art to the 3rd party. The buyer sends the money to the 3rd party. The 3rd party ships art to buyer and money to seller.

Mike de la Ree (mister_not_so_nice) offers that service through his business, NSNArt.

There are other providers as well, of course.

This is why you read everyone's post before blurting out your answer, LOL... my view, and later post, very much agrees with alxjhnsn, and his was obviously more valuable since he was able to actually offer a not-so-nice name (pun intended) of somebody who could help you with this. ;)

On 5/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, Andahaion said:

I might be incorrect here, but if you accepted payment via friends and family doesn't that negate some seller protection?  Not that you'd be protected if the buyer decided to "return" the piece and send you a photocopy of the art.  The empty galleries are a red flag, but I suppose you have to decide what your risk tolerance level is, and at what price point.

If you accept payment via friends and family, it negates all buyer protection, not the seller. Its not supposed to be a transaction, therefore, paypal wont give a hoot if the buyer is unhappy. 

2 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

One thing you can do is ask for a wire transfer, opposed to a Paypal transfer... 

reason being that the buyer has very little recourse once a wire is sent. The only way you can get a wire reversed (as the sender) is if you can prove that the receiver didn't live up to their end of the bargain. 

That being said it does sound a little fishy. 

you could also use a 3rd party that you trust to hold the pieces in escrow, until you validate receipt of funds. You could get somebody, especially somebody who has a very good reputation as a collector, or as a rep (who you may need to negotiate a fee with if a rep, but potentially worth it)

If they refuse that 3rd party escrow... you can just assume that this person is not legit, and end all contact. 

Before settling on a wire transfer check with your bank to find out whether or not there are any associated bank fees... 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:34 AM, Rick2you2 said:

So if someone were willing to pay for a piece of art through Paypal, and sent you the money, you would still be skeptical?

Not too long ago, someone started a thread about why they don't post things in their gallery--they did not want to be bothered by people who wanted to buy things which weren't for sale. Having two galleries is a bit weird though.

I wouldn't mind giving my eBay name as an alternative, as the next post suggested, however.

If your view is prevelant, however, I may have to post some low level bits (which I also have, as do most of us I suspect) just so I don't lose out on potential opportunities.

I would be skeptical - especially with the possibility of a charge back...