• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this bend be pressed out? (Regrade update)
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Grader notes state: moderate bend left top of whole book through book.

From looking at the bend it looks as if it's confined to the top edge area I pictured. Obviously I see that it goes through to the pages but not sure what they mean by "whole book"? Has anyone submitted a book with similar bends for pressing? What were the results?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

IMG_20190528_183342.jpg

IMG_20190528_183245.jpg

IMG_20190528_183113.jpg

Edited by MGsimba77

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Why wouldn't they press it?

If you give it to CCS, in the slab, they will probably not press it because the grade will not be improved. If you submitted it with instruction to press, they will press it, but it's a waste of money. 

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you give it to CCS, in the slab, they will probably not press it because the grade will not be improved. If you submitted it with instruction to press, they will press it, but it's a waste of money. 

How do you know the grade wouldn't improve? You haven't seen the rest of the book. I was just asking if this bend could be pressed out and if anyone had a similar bend pressed out. I'll leave the grading to the graders

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

How do you know the grade wouldn't improve? You haven't seen the rest of the book. I was just asking if this bend could be pressed out and if anyone had a similar bend pressed out. I'll leave the grading to the graders

With a grade already of 9.4, I'm assuming the rest of the book is in nice shape. You can press the book, it should 'look' better, but the cover color loss will still be there. If you are implying I can't grade and should leave the grading to the graders, so be it. 

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

With a grade already of 9.4, I'm assuming the rest of the book is in nice shape. You can press the book, it should 'look' better, but the cover color loss will still be there. If you are implying I can't grade and should leave the grading to the graders, so be it. 

I have a slew of if 9.6s with more color breaking defects than this and a few with less. I don't yet know if I'll submit but overall it looks consistent with every 9.6 I've seen.

I'm implying that it's not reasonable to determine what the grade is just by looking at that small area even if you were the best grader ever. 

10 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I have a slew of if 9.6s with more color breaking defects than this and a few with less. I don't yet know if I'll submit but overall it looks consistent with every 9.6 I've seen.

I'm implying that it's not reasonable to determine what the grade is just by looking at that small area even if you were the best grader ever. 

You always can submit it with your fingers crossing. I will cross my fingers for you. Remember what Joeypost said.

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

If the book was a little lower in grade, I think a press would raisie the grade. However, at 9.4, I don't see it going higher. The ability to get a 9.6 with a color breaking defect depends on the location and the size. In this case, I don't think so but I wish you luck.

18 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
18 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Fair enough.  You're telling us it's not reasonable to determine the grade based on the small area you've shown us so it's impossible for us to tell you if the grade is improvable.  

Your best answer is from Joey who's an expert at pressing.  The bend/damage is likely improvable but color loss will remain and we can't determine if there's a potential grade bump.

21 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Fair enough.  You're telling us it's not reasonable to determine the grade based on the small area you've shown us so it's impossible for us to tell you if the grade is improvable.  

Your best answer is from Joey who's an expert at pressing.  The bend/damage is likely improvable but color loss will remain and we can't determine if there's a potential grade bump.

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't ask about the grade just if the bend could be pressed out. I could show close up pictures of a number of 9.8s I have with color breaking defects that appear just as bad or worse than what I'm showing here. Even moreso with 9.6s I have. Color loss itself is not determinative. A color breaking defect is allowed on a 9.8

In this case it's not a 9.8 due to other defects combined with that color break. It appears to have a better shot at a 9.6

The reason I don't ask for grading opinions is because there could be tiny subtle defects not visible even though a high resolution scan that can make all the difference between high grades even if that bend wasn't there. The only way to get a good grasp of grade is by looking at it in person. 

Thanks anyway for the feedback