• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this bend be pressed out? (Regrade update)
1 1

24 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Color loss itself is not determinative. A color breaking defect is allowed on a 9.8

I've never heard anyone else ever say that color loss is not a determination for the grade. If a 9.8 has a color break, it should be very tiny.  The size of the color loss should lower the grade. If 1/4 inch it should be a 9.4 .

Hey Lion, help me here. Is my statement above wrong ?

28 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've never heard anyone else ever say that color loss is not a determination for the grade. If a 9.8 has a color break, it should be very tiny.  The size of the color loss should lower the grade. If 1/4 inch it should be a 9.4 .

Hey Lion, help me here. Is my statement above wrong ?

Bob, color loss "itself" is not enough. Yeah of course I'm talking about finite stress marks, edge wear or whatever. Im aware that severity/size of the color breaking defect matters most. The point still stands that a 9.8 is allowed to have one within acceptable standards. I have at least one 9.8 that comes to mind with more than one example of color loss graded recently.

The color loss I showed amounts to less than 1/16 of an inch. I don't even know if I'm going to submit it as I think it's a borderline 9.4-9.6

If I do it'll be screened first but we'll see