• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink Spring Featured Auction - if you got 'em post 'em
2 2

45 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Monkeyman said:

The Peanuts 1 went for a nice sum.

Beats me, but I don't really understand how this book can keep going for such high prices when they seem to be showing up in almost every auction now.  ???

When the first copy showed up a few years ago, I could understand the huge multiple to condition guide.  Now, we've had so many copies available in the marketplace since then and they still go for outrageous prices.  

Go figure that as they are certainly nowhere near as scarce as previously thought.  (shrug)

30 minutes ago, Monkeyman said:

Finally finished my complete run of Doctor Strange with a copy of the prototype issue.  Seems like a pretty sharp copy.

RADA3CFA201944_15387.jpg

I remember years ago a boardie who was a big Dr. Strange fan had made some retro looking wraparound covers using splash page art as his own personal "variants" of the early issues of ST with no Strange on the cover, which he paired with coverless copies. They were pretty cool, and I thought something every Strange fan should have. 

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I remember years ago a boardie who was a big Dr. Strange fan had made some retro looking wraparound covers using splash page art as his own personal "variants" of the early issues of ST with no Strange on the cover, which he paired with coverless copies. They were pretty cool, and I thought something every Strange fan should have. 

That was Howard Hallis.

http://howardhallis.com/doctorstrange/customs.html

I think he's been gone for years and I forget his board name. WD23 or something like that? IIRC he started to drop out after posting a thread containing pictures of a costume party he attended.

Whoops! Looks like his most current name was howardhallis before wdb23, and it looks like it's been about 3 years since he's been around.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

7 hours ago, Monkeyman said:

Missed out on the Tip Top 185, but managed to grab the 188.  The Peanuts 1 went for a nice sum.

RADAA06B2019419_16747.jpg

Nice get.  That was mine that I got from a collection in Japan.  I got a cover detached Peanuts 1 along with it (not yet graded).

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Beats me, but I don't really understand how this book can keep going for such high prices when they seem to be showing up in almost every auction now.  ???

When the first copy showed up a few years ago, I could understand the huge multiple to condition guide.  Now, we've had so many copies available in the marketplace since then and they still go for outrageous prices.  

Go figure that as they are certainly nowhere near as scarce as previously thought.  (shrug)

I believe it is because there is a very significant Peanuts collecting community that transcends the comic community and has strong buying power. Peanuts has a worldwide market appeal so with 34 graded copies and 1 billion fans, who spend strongly for memorabilia, it makes sense. Also, unlike Disney, another brand that has rabid fans, there are far fewer Peanuts comic books to choose from as a collectors item. Anyway, that is my theory.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I never heard it was scarce?

The price like a lot of things has been steadily rising but I didn’t ever believe it was that hard to find a copy. 

Probably just a lot of them have been locked in collections and the $$$’s are driving them out now in force.

I’m a big fan of Peanuts since youth but most of the comics have been easy enough to find (for me).

Not that long ago they were pretty cheap too.

Edited by N e r V

44 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I believe it is because there is a very significant Peanuts collecting community that transcends the comic community and has strong buying power. Peanuts has a worldwide market appeal so with 34 graded copies and 1 billion fans, who spend strongly for memorabilia, it makes sense. Also, unlike Disney, another brand that has rabid fans, there are far fewer Peanuts comic books to choose from as a collectors item. Anyway, that is my theory.

I think the first big movements in price started around his death. Prior to that most Peanuts items were pretty attainable with exceptions. I still cry at what I paid for his original art in the 1980s/90s.

I think the original art was the first to rocket upward then everything else got carried up. The comics might actually be one of the latter Peanuts items to get respect in pricing.

I’m sure Rick would agree that owning anything classic Peanuts is an item that will make you smile. There are a handful of comics that really are fun to own. For Peanuts collectors there is some strong passion in the collecting of Peanuts merchandise.

Its just one of those things in life that can really make you happy about owning it...:)

8 hours ago, Monkeyman said:

Missed out on the Tip Top 185, but managed to grab the 188.  The Peanuts 1 went for a nice sum.

RADAA06B2019419_16747.jpg

My favorite Peanuts comic cover. I would slab my copies but I love them too much to put them in a plastic prison yet...:sick:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

ixnay on the Peanuts-a, don't want more buyers-a

21 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I never heard it was scarce?

Just going by CL's auction description for this particular book. :gossip:

Even in their title heading it states "Listed as 'Scarce' in Overstreet Guide.  In their detailed auction description, it states the following:  "It is very uncommon on the market. Since our inception in 1996, only a handful have ever sold on ComicLink."  (shrug)

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Just going by CL's auction description for this particular book. :gossip:

Even in their title heading it states "Listed as 'Scarce' in Overstreet Guide.  In their detailed auction description, it states the following:  "It is very uncommon on the market. Since our inception in 1996, only a handful have ever sold on ComicLink."  (shrug)

I think it was scarce in the market until the price rocketed up over the last few years.  I was looking for a copy 4 or 5 years ago and didn't find one.  now that it's 10x more expensive than it used to be sellers are more motivated.

Mike