• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you draw the line(s) with your collecting?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

To put this into a digestible context I am at that point again where something has caught my eye and it has me pacing up and down whilst weighing up all the options before me. I don't currently have a strict collecting plan/ordered list that I adhere to, I just have few goals across a shortlist of some of my favourite comic runs. I think this hobby favours a certain amount of flexibility as the next thing that becomes available might not be one that you are expecting.

Anyway some of what I am after has become a bit of a stretch given how anything popular or well regarded is getting pricier, and in the majority I have mostly written them off. As such they have become a bit of a personal yardstick by which I measure things, or at the very least the direction in which my slippery slope angles steeply downwards :)

So what makes what I am currently considering different from what has gone before is that I think I would have to eat a loss of anywhere up to 70% of the asking price as soon as it becomes mine. Usually I wouldn't think twice about this because most of what I buy is at the lower/lowest end of the market... however this one isn't. The price is more about what someone being willing to let something go for as opposed to what the market would bear. So I am left wondering where I draw the line on what the heart wants. Really really love the art, but eating quite a large loss out of the gate really really sucks, especially when I consider other pieces out there.

I guess I have different red lines that I try not to cross to make sure that I have boundaries. Without any guidelines, consideration or self reflection for me personally collecting hobbies can otherwise become a bit of an addiction where the thrill of aquisition takes over.

Perhaps it will help to think out loud. Do I really think of this as money that I am throwing away or is it just the price of enjoying art?

11 minutes ago, Garf said:

To put this into a digestible context I am at that point again where something has caught my eye and it has me pacing up and down whilst weighing up all the options before me. I don't currently have a strict collecting plan/ordered list that I adhere to, I just have few goals across a shortlist of some of my favourite comic runs. I think this hobby favours a certain amount of flexibility as the next thing that becomes available might not be one that you are expecting.

Anyway some of what I am after has become a bit of a stretch given how anything popular or well regarded is getting pricier, and in the majority I have mostly written them off. As such they have become a bit of a personal yardstick by which I measure things, or at the very least the direction in which my slippery slope angles steeply downwards :)

So what makes what I am currently considering different from what has gone before is that I think I would have to eat a loss of anywhere up to 70% of the asking price as soon as it becomes mine. Usually I wouldn't think twice about this because most of what I buy is at the lower/lowest end of the market... however this one isn't. The price is more about what someone being willing to let something go for as opposed to what the market would bear. So I am left wondering where I draw the line on what the heart wants. Really really love the art, but eating quite a large loss out of the gate really really sucks, especially when I consider other pieces out there.

I guess I have different red lines that I try not to cross to make sure that I have boundaries. Without any guidelines, consideration or self reflection for me personally collecting hobbies can otherwise become a bit of an addiction where the thrill of aquisition takes over.

Perhaps it will help to think out loud. Do I really think of this as money that I am throwing away or is it just the price of enjoying art?

If you really really love a piece, wouldn't think twice -- feel glad it's available at all.  Judging from your thought process, I'm sure you've "won" enough that you can take a "loss" once in a while, esp. when the heart beckons so.

There is the possibility that you might find something very similar (e.g., a different page from the same issue) for a more reasonable price.  Go with your gut.

Ultimately it's up to you, and your point about talking it through/aloud is well taken.  When faced with situations, I try to find something which puts it into context.  What I thought of reading your post was that people buy new cars all the time.  Two years in and, what, half the "value" is gone?  And it just snowballs from there.  Yet, we have to buy a new car.  Why?  It's borderline insane to me.  This might make sense, or not.  It's just what popped into my head.  And, I presume most here keep art longer than they would a car.  Then again, lots of people on this board move a lot of art.  I buy to keep, so I'm not too worried (up to a certain price point) about retaining value. 

And interestingly enough, I'm also considering a piece that is giving me fits trying to ascertain it's long term potential.  I don't mind spending money, but at a certain point (which is unique to each individual) the money means something.  

I have a theme - artists I like and the characters I most associate with them. I seldom go outside that theme. That said, your dilemma is one that I've faced so I'm not sure that drawing a line is an effective approach to controlling your wandering eye.

Not much help, I admit.

There is no right answer to this.  You like what you like and you know what you can afford.

I tend to buy things that I *think* (the key word is think, a I have often been wrong) are at or below market value.  There have been occasions where I know I was overpaying because I really wanted it (heck, I had friends cautioning me not to do it and pointing out other alternatives pieces).  At the time this was a very big purchase for me OA wise, but as I said, you like what you like.

Malvin

1 hour ago, Garf said:

For me it comes down to how much you really like a piece. I have bought piece that are inexpensive at cons, they are impulse buys. Something I like that catches my eye, these days I try not to do that much since my collection has grown so much. When it comes to pieces I really like for nostalgia, artist or page content, it comes down to how strong of a pull that piece is for me. yes the money can play a part in it but I find after I buy a page that really speaks to me the money I paid for it gets forgotten over time. For those special pieces, I will never sell so resell value never comes into my thinking. Most pieces I really like, I never consider resell. It comes down to do you feel comfortable paying the price.

2 hours ago, Garf said:

Your angst is over money,  Its clear you want the item.  Don't borrow money for your hobby.  If you have a family make sure your purchase doesn't harm them.  If this is an investment I think I would pass because you may have to wait 20 years to recoup your funds, the last guy probably paid 50 cents for it...

3 hours ago, Garf said:

I think I would have to eat a loss of anywhere up to 70% of the asking price as soon as it becomes mine. Usually I wouldn't think twice about this because most of what I buy is at the lower/lowest end of the market... however this one isn't. The price is more about what someone being willing to let something go for as opposed to what the market would bear. So I am left wondering where I draw the line on what the heart wants. Really really love the art, but eating quite a large loss out of the gate really really sucks, especially when I consider other pieces out there.

It's nice to get a bargain, but I dont sense that you ever buy without getting a smoking deal in your favor.  Prices go up because someone is willing to pay more than the current price, and if this is really that important to you, it's your turn.

5 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

It's nice to get a bargain, but I dont sense that you ever buy without getting a smoking deal in your favor.  Prices go up because someone is willing to pay more than the current price, and if this is really that important to you, it's your turn.

hehehe...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93f.jpg.2dc338ccee570e4c35151806291bd280.jpg

Thanks for the comments, welcome food for thought. To round out... 

I don't really do credit, other than my mortgage.

I probably wouldn't consider a purchase that would cause either short or long term financial problems for very long before discarding it... This one has made me pause though. I have already mentioned the art to my wife and she is OK with it. It wouldn't even be the most expensive OA I own.

However, knowing that it's quite a bit above market value is the only cause for a bit of anxiety. I'm pretty much used to the occasional fun purchase that is a good deal, or break even.

I do think that the loss is something I will forget quite quickly given what it is. It has been part of my somewhat relaxed focus since I found out about OA. I'll probably decide on it after running it around my head for another couple of days.

The only other thing left nagging me was if I should put out a WTB thread out there first to see if something from the same run is hiding out there under a rock at a better price. I guess I will probably do that another time anyway. I currently see WTB threads as a bit of a double edged sword.

1 minute ago, Garf said:

I currently see WTB threads as a bit of a double edged sword.

Some people swear by public WTB, all to the good. I disagree mightily and except for a few obvious things people know about my collecting habits from...twenty years ago? (or if they regularly read CFA-APA)...nobody knows what the heck I'm after any given decade. Exactly the way I like it ;)

31 minutes ago, Garf said:

Thanks for the comments, welcome food for thought. To round out... 

I don't really do credit, other than my mortgage.

I probably wouldn't consider a purchase that would cause either short or long term financial problems for very long before discarding it... This one has made me pause though. I have already mentioned the art to my wife and she is OK with it. It wouldn't even be the most expensive OA I own.

However, knowing that it's quite a bit above market value is the only cause for a bit of anxiety. I'm pretty much used to the occasional fun purchase that is a good deal, or break even.

I do think that the loss is something I will forget quite quickly given what it is. It has been part of my somewhat relaxed focus since I found out about OA. I'll probably decide on it after running it around my head for another couple of days.

The only other thing left nagging me was if I should put out a WTB thread out there first to see if something from the same run is hiding out there under a rock at a better price. I guess I will probably do that another time anyway. I currently see WTB threads as a bit of a double edged sword.

If its something you really want you can find the way to get it. Even living on ramen noodles. On one of Felix Lu's podcasts he interviewed Robert Kirkman who talked about his comic art collecting early on before walking dead. He went all out for one piece and ended up on ramen noodles or similar to get the artwork. I am not 100% sure it was Kirkman who told Felix that, let me know if I am wrong.

Edited by Brian Peck

5 hours ago, Garf said:

I would have to eat a loss of anywhere up to 70% of the asking price as soon as it becomes mine.

PM me with a pic of the piece and the asking price and I will only charge you 5% to tell you whether you should buy it or not.