• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scans vs Images - Example Included
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Anyone care to speculate on how CGC manages to take such nice photos of their slabs after grading?  I'm assuming some sort of light controlled/diffused set up - but has anyone been able to recreate that look?  If so, examples and share your set up?  I use a legal size CCD scanner and it works well, but it is harder and harder to find that tech if problems arise.  Plus it's huge and bulky and takes up a lot of space.  Looking to replace my scanner as it's an all-in-one and the printer sucks - I need a new all-in-one, but none have legal CCD scanners, so I would have two bulky items - the new all-in-one plus a standalone legal CCD scanner, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.  I prefer the look of the scan, but I'm not crazy about having a separate large legal CCD scanner in my office - space is limited.

Example

Scan:

asm129f92.thumb.jpg.64f1cdf6a2961040b92d0c83506d1218.jpg

CGC Image:

2042740-002F.thumb.JPG.d3aec7fddf4069d007261d3f93e73118.JPG

Edited by RedGiant

Others on the board are experts in this, but I think the difference is that some scanners allow you to set the depth/height of the focus, so that the scanner is focusing above the glass (on the cover), while most scanners just focus directly on the glass, which is the front of the slab plastic instead of the cover.

Messing around with your scan, I played with the Gamma values and Brightness/Contrast, then used the Sharpen tool...

CGC92ASM129.jpg.dc8d57048cd975cd9f48451fcfa9890b.jpg

Edited by valiantman

Get a light box with built-in lights/diffusion and either your camera or iPhone.  You can buy Bluetooth remote camera buttons for phones so you can position your phone either using a camera stand with a phone attachment or a stand specifically for a phone.  I don’t take the time to setup my light box but will take a couple of slab pics in the light box later for you to see.  You can easily replicate Cgc’s photos.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, comicquant said:

Get a light box with built-in lights/diffusion and either your camera or iPhone.  You can buy Bluetooth remote camera buttons for phones so you can position your phone either using a camera stand with a phone attachment or a stand specifically for a phone.  I don’t take the time to setup my light box but will take a couple of slab pics in the light box later for you to see.  You can easily replicate Cgc’s photos.

Looking forward to seeing examples and info on your set up - thank you. 

@RedGiant is this the actual "scan" file CGC gave you?  I always thought they actually scanned them but I guess not. The corner edges are too jagged to not be photoshopped. I'm a graphic designer and use photoshop pretty much daily. The white areas on the outside of the slab are made up of PURE white, also pointing to an alteration. 

If I had to guess on their setup, I think CGC has a studio setup with a camera mounted to a frame, pointing down, with lots of indirect lighting to cut down on glare. They then take that photograph and put it into photoshop, likely using a re-used layer mask that is the size of the CGC case. They fill the rest of the area with white on the edges (already part of the mask). They then edit the levels while looking at the actual book to compare the actual book to the "scan" image - at least that's what I'd do to maintain fairly accurate consistency. If their camera is setup with a good white balance then they may be able to skip the last step. 

2042740-002F.JPG.624cb5bb2e06f48c004dcea0d9edf032.thumb.jpg.9412c0a94fb053b40cf8b0fe973c6472.jpg

Edited by Rhymenoceros

19 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

@RedGiant is this the actual "scan" file CGC gave you?  I always thought they actually scanned them but I guess not. The corner edges are too jagged to not be photoshopped. I'm a graphic designer and use photoshop pretty much daily. The white areas on the outside of the slab are made up of PURE white, also pointing to an alteration. 

If I had to guess on their setup, I think CGC has a studio setup with a camera mounted to a frame, pointing down, with lots of indirect lighting to cut down on glare. They then take that photograph and put it into photoshop, likely using a re-used layer mask that is the size of the CGC case. They fill the rest of the area with white on the edges (already part of the mask). They then edit the levels while looking at the actual book to compare the actual book to the "scan" image - at least that's what I'd do to maintain fairly accurate consistency. If their camera is setup with a good white balance then they may be able to skip the last step. 

2042740-002F.JPG.624cb5bb2e06f48c004dcea0d9edf032.thumb.jpg.9412c0a94fb053b40cf8b0fe973c6472.jpg

@Rhymenoceros yes, that is unaltered as I received it - the first pic was my scan from my scanner, second was image from CGC - and yes, as I understand it, it's an image and not a scan - thanks for your insight - I want to see someone's 'studio' set up - I disagree that CGC looks at book and adjusts colors as appropriate as I have book in hand and I can say my scan is closer to the 'look' of the book than their image

1 minute ago, RedGiant said:

@Rhymenoceros yes, that is unaltered as I received it - the first pic was my scan from my scanner, second was image from CGC - and yes, as I understand it, it's an image and not a scan - thanks for your insight - I want to see someone's 'studio' set up - I disagree that CGC looks at book and adjusts colors as appropriate as I have book in hand and I can say my scan is closer to the 'look' of the book than their image

gotcha - I have never had CGC provide me with images so good to know. I'm sure it would take awhile to manually adjust levels. They may need to adjust their white balance and be sure to set it before each photo session if they are concerned about keeping colors consistent (might not be?).  I'd be curious to see what their images looked like over the years and pay special attention to where the glares are on the photos. If I had a good enough sample size I might be able to provide more insight on how they've improved their system. 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, comicquant said:

Lightbox type setup with multiple diffused light sources is definitely my advice to get the best images. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, RedGiant said:

Anyone care to speculate on how CGC manages to take such nice photos of their slabs after grading?  I'm assuming some sort of light controlled/diffused set up - but has anyone been able to recreate that look?  If so, examples and share your set up?  I use a legal size CCD scanner and it works well, but it is harder and harder to find that tech if problems arise.  Plus it's huge and bulky and takes up a lot of space.  Looking to replace my scanner as it's an all-in-one and the printer sucks - I need a new all-in-one, but none have legal CCD scanners, so I would have two bulky items - the new all-in-one plus a standalone legal CCD scanner, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.  I prefer the look of the scan, but I'm not crazy about having a separate large legal CCD scanner in my office - space is limited.

Example

Scan:

asm129f92.thumb.jpg.64f1cdf6a2961040b92d0c83506d1218.jpg

CGC Image:

2042740-002F.thumb.JPG.d3aec7fddf4069d007261d3f93e73118.JPG

I actually like your scan better - the colors are much richer.

I wouldn't try to replicate what CGC is doing, but try to replicate what you are doing now.

I'm not a techie, so unfortunately, I have no advice.  

I would like Quant to show us some photos of his set up.

I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news...  The bad news is I cannot find my light box anywhere.  I found the diffusion sheets but no light box.  The fantastic news is I found my favorite golf hat of nearly 20 years.  I don’t know how soon but I’ll need to replace the light box so I’ll follow up as soon as I can.

6B3A7313-AB5C-46E4-98A9-1D528C6FC3EE.jpeg

Edited by comicquant

36 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news...  The bad news is I cannot find my light box anywhere.  I found the diffusion sheets but no light box.  The fantastic news is I found my favorite golf hat of nearly 20 years.  I don’t know how soon but I’ll need to replace the light box so I’ll follow up as soon as I can.

6B3A7313-AB5C-46E4-98A9-1D528C6FC3EE.jpeg

Nice find!

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

titleist baseball cap 1 graded.jpg

Looks like color touch to me.

and over-graded.